Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djjerme View Post

Even better still: Talking to real people in person. I know, our social media overlorders say that we are killing grandma's by visiting car friends to talk sh*t, but it's a risk I'm willing to take so I don't have to sort through another "help me get low" TwatBook post.

End Rant.
    You should drive up to see Crivellone in person and voice your opinion, maybe help him address some of the issues...

Got a thread in that Alpina?!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

HEYYYYYYYY

I'm a facebook addict, but I only browse car groups. Its sucked me away from here for sure. Not sure what it is, mostly FOMO on parts deals I guess. Hell, its because of facebook R3V that I found some canuck with a 100% complete mtech 1 kit in vancouver that was willing to drive it to my doorstep in Seattle.

I grew up on here during high school, dreaming, took a break for a while until I finally got one in 2011, then hung around until probably 2018? Simon even honored me with a COTM. I'm trying to do better. And I will update my thread! Its time to do scheduled maintenance on the s52...and there are some n52 nerds making moves over there in the 24v section, so I need to make a new thread for that project, too. Look, I'm on here at 3am, like the good old days!

How do we update sigs?

If only there was some large gathering in 82deg heat, where we could talk shit with hangovers...

Should we make MRGA hats? Yikes

Cheuk and the Criv joined me for a cruise on 1/3. The truth is out there.
      Attached Files
      -Peter
      '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
      '91 318is slicktop project
      '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
      '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

You should drive up to see Crivellone in person and voice your opinion, maybe help him address some of the issues...

Got a thread in that Alpina?!
        If he ever makes his way back to the track some time this season, I'll be sure to give him a hard time. (j/k)

No thread yet. The body has been in paint for the past year because we've been doing a bunch of remodeling on the house in prep for kid 2. So maybe when I put it all back together I'll get some pix posted.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          I don't understand how FB has managed to steal away so much traffic considering how poor it is as a substitute for a forum. FB is for current events, a forum is an archive. Not even remotely the same.
          This kind of sums it up. I think it's underestimated how much mobile usability matters. Facebook is extremely easy to use on our phones, and whether we admit to it or not, a lot of us are already addicted to checking Facebook regularly anyways. Forum usability on mobile sucks. Even with the improvements on the new platform r3v is on, and even with 3rd party options like Tapatalk. The forum is just harder to use than Facebook, full stop.

For what it's worth, a more clear/strict set of rules followed by [a lot] more moderation in the Facebook group would help. There are so many non-E30 related posts and things for sale, as someone else previously mentioned.
          Last edited by Digitalwave; 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The only thing that'll fix the Facebook group is a constant reminder... Hey, there is an actual forum out there called R3Vlimited.com!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

In 2009, I was scrolling FB daily, best thing I ever did was stop signing in a couple years ago. Got rid of the app on the phone, and only sign in on the "desktop page", so I can't even get PM's there unless on a PC.

With that decision, I realized I stopped going on the internet in general, unless I needed to. Work profits increased, billable hours increased, spirits were lifted, decided to "block" time in 30min work, 7min off to collaborate/break/laugh/cry, then go back. That alone was enough for me to be able to supply the shop with reliable income to pay all base expenses with my two hands. Now, it's time to hire another full time, or bring on a partner who would like to take over the shop in 7-8yr, when I plan on moving out of this budget trap of greater Miami/FtLauderdale.

EDIT: Just realized I have paid the 121st rent here lol. Had a small space next door since '07-ish, but officially been in this spot for a decade.....
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                In 2009, I was scrolling FB daily, best thing I ever did was stop signing in a couple years ago. Got rid of the app on the phone, and only sign in on the "desktop page", so I can't even get PM's there unless on a PC.

With that decision, I realized I stopped going on the internet in general, unless I needed to. Work profits increased, billable hours increased, spirits were lifted, decided to "block" time in 30min work, 7min off to collaborate/break/laugh/cry, then go back. That alone was enough for me to be able to supply the shop with reliable income to pay all base expenses with my two hands. Now, it's time to hire another full time, or bring on a partner who would like to take over the shop in 7-8yr, when I plan on moving out of this budget trap of greater Miami/FtLauderdale.

EDIT: Just realized I have paid the 121st rent here lol. Had a small space next door since '07-ish, but officially been in this spot for a decade.....
                Amazing. Not sure what the real 5 year success rate is for shops, but I suspect that it's low, and it's awesome that you made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  The only thing that'll fix the Facebook group is a constant reminder... Hey, there is an actual forum out there called R3Vlimited.com!
                  Whenever I answer a question on the FB R3V group, I always provide a link back to a relevant thread/post on the R3VLimited forum (FB actually generates a little image/preview to go alongside the post too). If the forum was promoted more on the FB E30 groups (yes, all of them), we'd have more traffic here.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I really need to do this (drop FB). It's a huge time suck. I commend you for making that step. I've done this for a few other "time suck" apps on my phone and haven't looked back, but for some reason not FB yet.

Congrats on 10 years!

Comment

I still check in. don't post as much, obviously. I haven't done much new with my E30 in a long time aside from drive it and minor repairs (I rigged up a temporary fix to my exhaust rubbing on the valance a couple months ago - definitely not worth posting, lol). I do work on "E30" stuff but sadly, it's mostly for other people's cars and not mine. :p

To beat a dead horse, the biggest reason (aside from having less free time) I come here less is the slowness of the site. I have to really be interested in a topic to click on it, wait 20 seconds for it to load, see somebody quote a whole post of pictures and say "nice", and not be pissed off for wasting my time (and another 20+ seconds to go "back" to the index).
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bimmerforums is also run using Vbulletin, but every page loads instantaneously.
                      https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...1983-1991-(E30)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        To beat a dead horse, the biggest reason (aside from having less free time) I come here less is the slowness of the site. I have to really be interested in a topic to click on it, wait 20 seconds for it to load, see somebody quote a whole post of pictures and say "nice", and not be pissed off for wasting my time (and another 20+ seconds to go "back" to the index).
                        nice

No but really, me too.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Nando, Post up some pics of your iX in the Members Rides section. I think the OG cars need just some good photos posted even if nothings changed but a few more scratches here and there..

I remember we got the OG GC ix setup about at the same time, although 3 headgaskets and a cracked head, worn me out.. , and a focus to finish school lead me to sell mine and always envied It never made it to the track like yours..

But a youtubber Turrbo'd it...

OH! how always forget... I tested to see if I had a cracked head with a head form a broken timing belt motor, it had a cracked rocker shaft hole! And I put a plate on it so it wouldn't break while testing. That was 10 years ago and still like that!..

Last edited by moatilliatta; 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I am tethering from my phone right now (about ~4mB/s) and it's no faster at home with 100+mB/s. :/

As mentioned (and i linked previously), many boards are running on vB, and have been for decade(s). Perhaps it's an "ease of use" newer system, but some boards i still occasionally hit still look identical to mid-'00's.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm mostly a lurker, do like reading down posts and seeing who is communicating on here. Now that I'm finally working on my car after years of neglect, it's tough to find good threads with working links/updated methods/approaches. Still thankful for the community. Might have to check out the FB page for the marketplace. I'm trying to buy parts but the parts for sale section is kinda dead...
                              Flickr

Comment

If I ever got off my ass and worked on the damned cars, I might post something....

hee

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X