The Ecobeamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    This is freakin' cool. Thanks for sharing. your tig skills are pretty damn good too!
    thanks man, decent amount of welding in this project.

Comment

did some work on the firewall. I said the downpipe was fun and easy, this is less so. more challenging but still fun. using tin snips to cut decently thick steel and then trying to get it to fit good. this section was easiest part and the passenger side wont be too bad but the drivers side will definitely be a challenge. but im really digging this look and I think it will turn out cool. pretty damn sturdy too. I got the idea to paint the cabin side with clearcoat and then sticker bomb it which will be cool af, I got tons of motorsports stickers saved up. the other side I will paint the same color I paint the engine bay which wont be camo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_182822.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	9867548

Name:	20190905_182952.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	9867549

Comment

You are getting a lot done quickly. Some of it seems rushed, do you have a deadline?

I can get behind it all except the paint job. It looks like a giraffe to me. But it is your car so your opinion is the only one that matters.

This is a track car right? It's definitely unique. I am interested to see the end result. Keep up the good work.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

coming along good on the passenger side. as ive added more panels its become super sturdy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190905-230052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	9867626

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190905-232717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	9867625

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            You are getting a lot done quickly. Some of it seems rushed, do you have a deadline?

I can get behind it all except the paint job. It looks like a giraffe to me. But it is your car so your opinion is the only one that matters.

This is a track car right? It's definitely unique. I am interested to see the end result. Keep up the good work.
            I have a self imposed deadline of October 31st. I hope that's realistic, if I keep up the pace I think I can make that happen. im not taking my time, I am cutting corners which I may come to regret but really as far as im concerned the real corner I cut was the paint and body which I can redo later on if I really wanted to but now would've been the time to do it right since I had the car stripped. I do like the paint i think it looks like a mil camo and ive seen some cool cars with geometric camo for instance. I could've done a neater job on allot of stuff but I would have had to take my time and try hard so my results right now are just my personal ability at the pace I tend to go.

im really just in the zone focused on getting it running and driving so once I get to that point and im out of the zone I will focus on polishing up some loose ends.

thanks man I will keep it up

Comment

Great project. Ive always worked in a similar fashion with projects. Work hard to get it working and running, sort out the major issues, then come back and tidy it up later. look forward to more updates.

Comment

Slightly terrifying but very impressive project you've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  Great project. Ive always worked in a similar fashion with projects. Work hard to get it working and running, sort out the major issues, then come back and tidy it up later. look forward to more updates.
                  thanks man. and yeah people have different styles of working I agree with you, what you described is the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by shredicus View Post
                    Slightly terrifying but very impressive project you've got here.
                    yeah I will say what kind of concerns me is the fuel cell location and that im gonna be putting 350 ftlbs through 205s so this car is gonna be pretty hardcore.
                    thanks man

Comment

installed the Holley hydramat fuel pickup in the fuel cell. this will supposedly prevent fuel starvation without the need for a surge tank. mounted with magnets that are strong af

Name:	20190906_221313.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	9867916

Name:	20190906-221418.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	9867917

did some more work in the engine bay

Name:	20190907-013455.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	9867918

Name:	20190907-013501.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	9867919

ive got the radiator to fit really easy, just had to cut the hoses provided with the control pack. the intercooler and aircleaner is a different story. the intercooler i think i may be able to use the tubes provided in the conrtol pack but its a stretch. the air filter box I may be able to fit if I chop the bottom off but I may just use a cone filter instead. once I spend more time here and get it finalized I will weld or rivet up some brackets to support everything.

Comment

passenger side is pretty much finished up, I really dig the look of this riveted firewall. drivers side is really gonna be a pain though.

Name:	20190907_014803.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	9867926

Name:	20190907_014828.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	9867927
                        Last edited by hkv; 09-07-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Nice project! But I would not do the all bodywork with aluminium sheet and rivets. The original wirewall and transmission tunnel is essential part of the body strength.

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                            Nice project! But I would not do the all bodywork with aluminium sheet and rivets. The original wirewall and transmission tunnel is essential part of the body strength.
                            thanks for the comment. what would you do?

the original firewall is 18 gauge(1mm) thick steel. I am using 20 gauge(.80mm) thick steel(not aluminum) that when overlapped from sheet to sheet like im doing is 1.6mm thick(over 50% thicker than stock). there are even some spots where I have riveted 3 sheets together(2.4mm). Rivets are a tried and true fastener that is very suited to handling shear forces. before welding was developed riveting was the way to join metals in most applications. they are still used in allot of applications where high strength and low weight is desired, notably the aircraft industry. The point being I am confident in this firewall, I can tell you from knocking on it and pushing it that it is very strong.

Comment

what made u use rivets?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                                what made u use rivets?
                                well nuts and bolts would have been ridiculous. lol but seriously welding really isnt the best idea when working with thin sheetmetal. rivets are just as strong as welding and to have welded thin sheetmetal like this would have been a major pain, preventing burn through would have been very difficult and the end result would have looked worse.
                                now I understand why people weld in sheetmetal when repairing rusted out sections because that retains a stock look but especially on something as big as a firewall; riveting these panels as opposed to welding is quicker, cheaper, easier, much better looking result and just as effective/strong as welding.
                                Last edited by hkv; 09-07-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X