The Ecobeamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzerob View Post

It is the least I can do for all of the entertainment you are providing me. I am really enjoying this build. Keep up the good work.
    very happy to hear your enjoying it dude

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      If you do a cage you could always mount the colum off the dash bar.

Now if you set all the way back would you be able to do floor mount pedals?

just an idea to battle deflection
      what worries me about floor mount pedals is that I imagine they get in the way because I like to rest my feet on the floor board and maybe even drag them a bit on the floor board when using the pedals, maybe not drag but I feel like the mount of the floor mount would get in the way of my feet.

I already have the willwood pedal box and I know they work good because I have the same one on another car and I will bet that deflection wont be an issue because im using good strong steel to mount it to the car. if you see on my earlier pic of the pedal box, im pretty sure that's 2"x3" 3/16" angle iron. very very strong stuff and I will weld/rivet a couple of steel braces to make sure its very rigid. I already welded some smaller angle iron to the car for the pedal box and its solid.

Comment

didn't spend much time in the shop tonight but I made subframe spacers and they came out good. im still waiting on my order of metric fasteners but what im wondering is if I should mill the spacers down as thin as possible to just barely clear the oil pan or if the roughly 3/8" clearance I have between the subframe and the oil pan is not enough to be worth it.

my understanding is that subframe spacers aren't good for ride quality, that they increase bump steer. so should I go to the trouble to squeeze another ~0.5" of clearance by modifying the steering rack mount and milling down the spacers or it even going to make a difference? anything else I should know about the spacers?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916-023720.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	9870433

Comment

Enjoying the rough function over form nature of the build as well as the non traditional powerplant. This is entertaining! I too am a fan of the rivet/aero aesthetic.

Subbed
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            Enjoying the rough function over form nature of the build as well as the non traditional powerplant. This is entertaining! I too am a fan of the rivet/aero aesthetic.

Subbed
            thanks man! im glad your enjoying the build style and direction and that you subbed. you subbed just in time if your a fan of rivets lol check out my new update.

Comment

making the frame for the fuel cell, I have several mounting points riveted to the car and then I weld the fuel cell mounting brackets to the riveted mounting points. I tried welding straight to the car but it kept catching on fire and even with 1/16th rods I experienced burn through and lack of penetration so I went back to the rivets.

Name:	20190917-220532.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	9871027

fuel cell in its nice little frame. very very snug in there, doesn't move hardly any.

Name:	20190917-222623.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	9871028

Name:	20190917-222646.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	9871029

Name:	20190917-222704.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	9871030

Comment

so originally I was planning to have a firewall tightly wrapped around the fuel cell because I want some protection from it in the cabin but then I had a eureka moment because doing that I would have had to leave the filler cap open to the cabin. what I decided to do is make a little compartment that completely seperates the fuel cell from the cabin but still allows me to fill it up by opening the passenger side rear door.

Name:	20190918-003503.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	9871033

Name:	20190918-003519.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	9871034

so you can see how it works. door closed ill have it sealed off from the cabin. door open and I can fit a gas nozzle in there and fill her up. no problem

Attached Files

Comment

With the pick up in front of the tank do you think you'll have fuel starvation issues?

I assume the subframe isn't to much further back to rotate the fuel cell 180*

Also may want to save a spot for the Main hoop to touch down somewhere in there if you revisit that?

Exciting progress!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    With the pick up in front of the tank do you think you'll have fuel starvation issues?

I assume the subframe isn't to much further back to rotate the fuel cell 180*

Also may want to save a spot for the Main hoop to touch down somewhere in there if you revisit that?

Exciting progress!
                    I hope I wont have any starvation issues. im using a holley hydramat fuel pickup and supposedly as long as its in contact with fuel it will pull fuel, ive never used one before but they are supposed to be really good.

if I revisit a cage ill just modify what I need too but im not a hardcore racer either. my local track is decently low speed and ill probably also do autocross maybe, nothing too extreme planned.

thanks man.

Comment

getting close on the tanks firewall. now I just have the front section to deal with

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190919-013044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	9871315

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190919-012824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	9871316

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190919-013212.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	9871317

Comment

decided to try finishing up my cone filter adapter with IAT. \

turned the bung down to set it into the pipe

Name:	20190919-220523.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	9871509

decide to turn it down more and mill entirely through the adapter to get the sensor deeper into the pipe

Name:	20190919-220822.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	9871510

so that works out pretty good

Name:	20190919-221410.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	9871511

Name:	20190919-221414.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	9871512

cleaned up the aluminum with solvent and hoping I don't mess up welding the aluminum.
                        tungsten looks cool after you ball it up with DCEP, probably balled it up a bit too much.

Name:	20190919-223541.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	9871513

Comment

No riveted solution for the IAT? Disappointed.

Comment

I said i wasnt at all looking forward to welding aluminum but atleast in this case it wasn't that bad at all and actually turned out pretty awesome.

Name:	20190919-224659.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	9871517

I dare say I did better than whoever welded my intercooler

Name:	20190919-230725.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	9871516

the guy who did my radiator however has me beat lol

Name:	20190919-230747.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	9871518

so heres the end result

Name:	20190919-230341.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	9871519

Comment

engine bay pics

Name:	20190919-230351.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	9871522

Name:	20190919-230452.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	9871523

working on the fuel system as well. I ran an -8an line for the vent/rollover valve port on the fuel cell. no pics of that but I started on the fpr

Name:	20190919-230503.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	9871524

so I stopped on that because im not sure if I want to:

A- run the feed/return line in the cabin(would have to cover with a shroud)
                              B- run the feed/return line on the inside of the passenger side frame rail(close to the exhaust so heat is a concern)
                              C- run the feed/return line on the outside of the passenger side frame rail( have to worry about clearance with the suspension components)

im pretty much settled on option c but wanted more time to think about it.

once I get all this type of stuff set up then I pull the motor and everything else and paint the underside and the engine bay for good. then reassemble hopefully for good.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                                No riveted solution for the IAT? Disappointed.
                                LOL I saw this coming to be honest hahaha, I was wondering why no one was surprised why I welded the exhaust instead of rivet it.

Comment

Working...
                                X