another forum gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
    Speech and public opinion is being cancelled. They will simply raise the costs on the administrators of the service and eventually this place will be shut down. It's not a big tech platform with AI moderators and it will be targeted. It's not a matter of if but when. It's all about control. "They" don't want you to maintain your gas vehicle in any capacity. Enjoy your car while it lasts and then you'll most likely be in an AI electric vehicle being shuttled to approved destinations.
    What?

James owns the servers that this site runs on. Who is "they"?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Remember when r3v almost turned into a truck forum. Ahh that was nice but glad to see more e30s again.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        Remember when r3v almost turned into a truck forum. Ahh that was nice but glad to see more e30s again.
        yup.

i was on a ford ranger forum for 6 seconds. had the plastic box 6cyl splash. unbadged. was a fun truck with a little work, surprised a lot of mustangs lol, but the forums and online community was hard to dig through.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          Lol I can't tell if this is a reference to "Rov3rLimited" or just with everyone buying a truck in the past few years
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I will always favor forums over other methods but I think that's just because I came of age when forums erupted. Picture hosting became a thing and it was a really easy way to look at cool cars that people had built themselves and solved many problems along the way. It's like the best, ongoing car show without being forced to talk to people. I know it was crazy slow loading for awhile but it seems like R3v has improved a great deal. I hope it doesn't die. The only other one I used to visit as religiously was thirdgen.org for my mullet ride. But that was bought out by a conglomerate. Still a lot of good info, but a lot of dumbasses there.
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Lol I can't tell if this is a reference to "Rov3rLimited" or just with everyone buying a truck in the past few years
              Ha dang, didn't know about the rovers. Just about the influx of like 3-4 truck threads we had. I would say, since then, the traffic here has slightly picked up.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

roverlimited was a time when James was active and pulled a April Fools Joke on us...

I miss James...
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm on the r3v FB group just because it has a lot of activity. Sifting through all the jackassery gets really tiring. It will NEVER replace a forum. Most of the FB groups I frequent are just a bunch of ADD bruhs who want to spend 15 seconds asking a question rather than finding the answer. Plus the search function is total crap. In the odd instance that I read something useful, it's impossible to find a week later.

Yes I'm 55 years old and I don't care: LONG LIVE THE R3VLIMITED FORUM!
                  1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                    I'm on the r3v FB group just because it has a lot of activity. Sifting through all the jackassery gets really tiring. It will NEVER replace a forum. Most of the FB groups I frequent are just a bunch of ADD bruhs who want to spend 15 seconds asking a question rather than finding the answer. Plus the search function is total crap. In the odd instance that I read something useful, it's impossible to find a week later.

Yes I'm 55 years old and I don't care: LONG LIVE THE R3VLIMITED FORUM!
                    you were only 34 years old when this forum started, haha.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      This forum is technically under the BMW SCCA now
                      Wait, what? Did James sell the site?

I'm so thankful for James to keep things going and operational after all these years, and I too am sad at the "death of forums" but I don't believe that is universally the case. I'm on some forums that are as active as ever, and even still growing. This is even within other weird/niche hobbies, such as watches.

Personally I think we haven't done this site any favors by letting it be nearly stagnant for as long as I can remember. Besides the forum upgrade, which for a while drastically killed traffic due to poor performance, there has been little done to revamp, improve, change, or otherwise keep excitement going on the forums.

How about a council of OG's that want to help out be given some access and control of the site to try and improve it and get it growing/active again?

EDIT: Site performance is still hit or missing with some things. Pages load pretty quick, but this reply took over 20 seconds to post.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Agreed with TJ. We need more than moderators, there could be a few things done and suggested in this thread to increase engagement and make it more enjoyable.

I know there were talks to switch to that other forum software, any more on that, or because of the database size and age are we stuck with vBulletin?
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

It seems like this place is kept alive just to be an archive rather than a discussion board.
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

This place isn’t doing shit if James is MIA
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I wish I had the foresight to start archiving all of the great information, DIYs and build threads I found on forums 10 years ago. Now if the forum isn't dead the pic links are broken. I didn't foresee facebook groups taking so much forum traffic because facebook has an awful interface and is borderline useless as a repository of information. I didn't notice it happening until I got into 3D printing and found that the forums were nearly dead and people were going to the facebook group for stuff like custom firmware and troubleshooting. I figured 3D printing enthusiasts would be more tech savvy and naturally dislike/be suspicious of facebook, but I guess not.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                                Agreed with TJ. We need more than moderators, there could be a few things done and suggested in this thread to increase engagement and make it more enjoyable.
                                What do you think James Crivellone , can some of us step in to try and help revitalize the site?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X