Originally posted by Northern View Post
    10' ceiling
    Is that enough for a 2 post lift?

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    About the Home Depot Epoxy Kit...
    It's funny because I have found something like 10 people who have used the HD kit (Rustoleum Epoxyshield) and the split between "it's great" and "it's awful" is basically 50/50 with nobody even close to the fence.

One extreme is a guy who runs a mechanic side business out of his garage and he loves it. every once in a while he'll have a spot that peels but he cleans/repaints that spot and it isn't any less durable than the rest.

Other extreme hates it, paid $5psf for his new place to have it professionally done, but that's pretty steep for 560sqft when I have a bunch of other stuff to buy.
    For 1/10 the price I think the HD stuff has to be at least 1/10 as good, but I'll keep looking at alternatives.

For the heat pump, I'm looking at the Danby 18000 BTU unit they have at Costco here for $1400 CAD. I have a buddy who installs heat pumps so I'll bug him to make sure I don't fuck anything up.
    It's rated for 1000sqft which should mean it will do the 540+not-a-loft area.

I've also been hanging onto a 240V space heater forever - I may stick that in the corner/ceiling at the back as a backup, but it's extremely rare for it to get cold enough for the heat pump to not function.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied

Garage - I always intended to build one after buying this house. After almost 10 years, I came to terms with the timeline of building it myself and decided that it probably won't happen unless I pay someone.

Specs:
    20Wx28L
    Slab on grade
    10' ceiling
    12x8 door (ie. 1' taller than standard - Roysneon recommended this after encountering issues fitting his Disco in his garage)
    8/12 storage trusses - should be 6~6'5" on the interior of the centerline, enough for me to walk down the middle but not exceed my zoning height limit of 18.x'
    200A dedicated service

I'm just paying for weathertight shell and basic wiring, I'll have to add more electrical/insulate/vapour barrier/drywall after the fact.
    Home Depot epoxy kit without colour flake on the floor
    Costco pre-charged heat pump for cooling in the summer/heat in the winter.
    A few more plans for workbenches/toolboxes/TV/fridge/internet.
    Awesome!

Note: About the Home Depot Epoxy Kit... I'd recommend not going that route. I used it at my first house, and it yellows and is not UV stable I did the same thing, no flake.

I even got the HD "Professional" stuff that is ploymer based, not water based. It still was meh, and I did a lot of prep work. If you are set on DIY: For the same price, or barely more get a far better kit from one of the wholesalers/places that you can buy professional grade products. It will actually last, the key is in the prepwork as always, but better quality materials are a must to get a good and long lasting coating. Personally, I've decided the next house is getting a professional coating applied by pros, I've gotten quotes, and with their "50 year" warranty and better product, it will be worth it IMO.

All the other stuff is exciting, I'll vicariously live through you.

I've been eyeing the precharged "Mr Cool" kits and the like too, another thing on the wishlist for the next house.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-13-2023, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    I can only assume they plan to compact that, and how far above grade is the pad going to be?

Edit: You answered one of those as I was posting. Be sure to have a good drainage solution, consider a perimeter drain system from day one.
    Honestly no idea how far above grade, there's ~1/2' height difference back(higher) to front, but I'm 1.5' higher than the lot next to me.
    Awkward because the existing slab is at the low end of the property so it likely won't line up, but I can make something after the fact.
    Not sure if I can legally drain onto neighbour's lot, but I'll keep an eye out for what they do.

And yeah it's not compacted yet, I assume they will before they do the forms and tie rebar/mesh, but again I'll keep an eye out.

EDIT:
    Drawing shows 4" above grade, obviously they're levelling the area to some extent, not sure what height relative to surroundings.
    There is a site grading plan, but I don't have a copy (I know it's a prereq for the building permit, which I see in my building portal with the City)

Drawing also shows slab configuration as:
    6" crushed stone, Compacted
    4" Slab
    Footing 1'4" x 8"
    6x6 wire mesh
    10mm rebar, 2 rows centered about footing.

It also implies the ground around it is built up by 4" as well, but it doesn't specifically call that out anywhere.

Last edited by Northern; 06-13-2023, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    I can only assume they plan to compact that, and how far above grade is the pad going to be?

Edit: You answered one of those as I was posting. Be sure to have a good drainage solution, consider a perimeter drain system from day one.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Oooooh, new garage?! Or just parking pad/spot?
    Garage - I always intended to build one after buying this house. After almost 10 years, I came to terms with the timeline of building it myself and decided that it probably won't happen unless I pay someone.

Specs:
    20Wx28L
    Slab on grade
    10' ceiling
    12x8 door (ie. 1' taller than standard - Roysneon recommended this after encountering issues fitting his Disco in his garage)
    8/12 storage trusses - should be 6~6'5" on the interior of the centerline, enough for me to walk down the middle but not exceed my zoning height limit of 18.x'
    200A dedicated service

I'm just paying for weathertight shell and basic wiring, I'll have to add more electrical/insulate/vapour barrier/drywall after the fact.
    Home Depot epoxy kit without colour flake on the floor
    Costco pre-charged heat pump for cooling in the summer/heat in the winter.
    A few more plans for workbenches/toolboxes/TV/fridge/internet.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Oooooh, new garage?! Or just parking pad/spot?

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    For R3v's critique:

Shitbox fleet deployed... something something Everything the light touches.

Young guy on the excavator. Made short work of the tree stump and random concrete strip around the yard.

Two loads of gravel, I think 6 or 7 trucks of earth/concrete removed.

Wrapped up just shy of 6PM:

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver View Post

The whole house is one big problem. Errrr, project.
    Yes, the more I further my understanding of remodeling the more I think boats are a value orientated practical purchase.

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied

Yes, but it's much harder to differentiate in photos between an actual problem and practical on site solution/workaround in a demo/remodel versus a new construction project.
    The whole house is one big problem. Errrr, project.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Shit, I'm about to have my whole house gutted and rebuilt. Should I start a build thread for that?

My wife is an architect, so she's doing the design. I'm capable of some stuff, but definitely don't have time to do much of the heavy lifting.
    Yes, but it's much harder to differentiate in photos between an actual problem and practical on site solution/workaround in a demo/remodel versus a new construction project.

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied

Well, I hope it goes well, and be sure to share pics so those of us with building knowledge can tell you how your builders are cutting corners.
    Shit, I'm about to have my whole house gutted and rebuilt. Should I start a build thread for that?

My wife is an architect, so she's doing the design. I'm capable of some stuff, but definitely don't have time to do much of the heavy lifting.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Just got word that the garage is finally supposed to break ground on Monday.
    I'd be more excited if it wasn't a complete dog to get to this point.
    Well, I hope it goes well, and be sure to share pics so those of us with building knowledge can tell you how your builders are cutting corners.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Just got word that the garage is finally supposed to break ground on Monday.
    I'd be more excited if it wasn't a complete dog to get to this point.

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Personally I think EVs are a fad, and will go away within maybe 20 years. They're only gaining traction because governments are pushing them, but people within governments change, and there's no guarantee that the new crop of people will want EVs to become popular like the current crop does. EVs aren't being adopted because they're better, they're being adopted because they're being pushed, and because people are told we have to adopt them to save the planet (which is debatable). On top of the reasons Varg mentioned, I've also heard, but have not confirmed, that we simply do not have the resources to make enough batteries to power all the cars that would be needed to replace ICE cars. And then there's the question of whether or not EVs are actually all that "green" which I am not at all convinced of. Seems to me that a real "green" movement would seek to reduce the number of cars on the road, particularly in cities where cars are more of a nuisance than a necessity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X