Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

    There wasnt many long straights but trust me when I say he was at 4/10 while I was at 9/10 and he still was far ahead haha
    Having almost always had slow cars I've always really appreciated and have had some of my most enjoyable driving experiences when folks with legitimately fast cars let me chase them in the twsties. Conversely, when I keep up with or pass the racer bois on the highway I can only laugh at their feeble efforts.

    Comment


      Originally posted by varg View Post
      Please tell me you're joking...
      sort of...haha
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

      Comment


        Honestly I agree that a manual shitbox is more of an enthusiast car than most new automatic car, even if that car is genuinely fast.
        Obviously this is r3v so duh.

        Definitely will vary due to brand loyalties and your definition of cool, but every year I have less and less of a desire to buy a new car.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

        Comment


          NGL I don't mind some paddle wackers and a nice double clutch...

          I used to be all about manuals, still am for the most part, but I understand why these newer high end cars are ditching them.

          Obviously, the market now for high end "sport" cars w/ manuals is becoming more niche by the year, but I think what's replacing them has finally reached a point where its like, "this is fucking cool."

          Manuals offer a more enthusiast drivers experience, but a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.

          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:


          WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

          Comment


            Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            NGL I don't mind some paddle wackers and a nice double clutch...

            I used to be all about manuals, still am for the most part, but I understand why these newer high end cars are ditching them.

            Obviously, the market now for high end "sport" cars w/ manuals is becoming more niche by the year, but I think what's replacing them has finally reached a point where its like, "this is fucking cool."

            Manuals offer a more enthusiast drivers experience, but a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
            Varg was by the shop today lending a hand (praising the m42 as usual!), and we were discussing this very same thing. The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

            Comment


              Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
              That's typically only on a track though. If you're driving a car at its limit on the street, you're going entirely too fast for public roads.

              2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

              Comment


                Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

                Varg was by the shop today lending a hand (praising the m42 as usual!), and we were discussing this very same thing. The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
                Theres no doubt about the fact that technology has made the automatic transmission better performing than the manuals, but the downside is the growing disconnect between the driver of the vehicle and the vehicles connection to the road...

                and Im getting annoyed about how much Varg loves the M42, OK WE GET IT, the M42 is great
                Simon
                Current Car:
                -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                Comment


                  Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  That's typically only on a track though. If you're driving a car at its limit on the street, you're going entirely too fast for public roads.
                  Yes, you're right, but even not at the limit, especially in the twisties here in California, just having less time with both hands off the wheel is really nice.

                  And i'm talking about manuals with paddle shifters, not your typical auto trans paddle shifters like a durango.

                  Like the Aston I'm doing a clutch on rn. It's a single clutch manual with paddle shifters and when that thing shifts its like being punched in back of the head followed by a jab to the face. It's pretty fucking awesome.

                  except when you have to pay 3200 bucks for just a clutch LOL
                  Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                  Q
                  :devil:


                  WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
                    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
                    These are the arguments I hear a lot and I don't get it. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not buying a new car to drive it at the limit or be faster than the next car.
                    For me it's 100% the experience, I want to row my own gears. I want to be rewarded for nailing that flawless downshift, not have it handed to me every single time by a computer.

                    If driving was some sort of chore, then I'd agree with the objective "it's faster" or "it does it right every time" arguments, but it genuinely increases my enjoyment of the drive if I get to embrace what I guess are imperfections in the technology.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

                    Comment


                      Having my Neon was fun for the manual aspect, but having an auto as my daily is also really nice. Of course, the Jeep has a custom tune, so the transmission also shifts much better. It's nice having A-B comfort and still being able to step on it and have fun. Now, the e30 is still my fave for a good rowing session, and forever will be.
                      88 325i Cabrio
                      04 Neon SRT-4

                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

                      Comment


                        It's not that difficult, paddles for a performance car, an auto for appliances and a manual for mischief.

                        Comment


                          Im finding a lot more joy in a lighter, better balanced car. Give me ~200bhp and ~ 2000# over 500bhp and 3500# anyday Im smiling a lot more and getting to really experience the car
                          Simon
                          Current Car:
                          -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                          -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                          Make R3V Great Again -2020

                          Comment


                            Pretty much what rouge said is my sentiment towards that whole subject lol.

                            And also, to echo what simon said.

                            Light cars with modest power are where it's at for the ultimate driving experience IMO

                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:


                            WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Im finding a lot more joy in a lighter, better balanced car. Give me ~200bhp and ~ 2000# over 500bhp and 3500# anyday Im smiling a lot more and getting to really experience the car
                              But why not 2000# and 500 HP? *THAT* sounds like mischief.

                              Comment


                                That sounds like a death trap
                                Simon
                                Current Car:
                                -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                                -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X