Originally posted by varg View Post
    Please tell me you're joking...
    sort of...haha
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Honestly I agree that a manual shitbox is more of an enthusiast car than most new automatic car, even if that car is genuinely fast.
      Obviously this is r3v so duh.

Definitely will vary due to brand loyalties and your definition of cool, but every year I have less and less of a desire to buy a new car.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

NGL I don't mind some paddle wackers and a nice double clutch...

I used to be all about manuals, still am for the most part, but I understand why these newer high end cars are ditching them.

Obviously, the market now for high end "sport" cars w/ manuals is becoming more niche by the year, but I think what's replacing them has finally reached a point where its like, "this is fucking cool."

Manuals offer a more enthusiast drivers experience, but a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          NGL I don't mind some paddle wackers and a nice double clutch...

I used to be all about manuals, still am for the most part, but I understand why these newer high end cars are ditching them.

Obviously, the market now for high end "sport" cars w/ manuals is becoming more niche by the year, but I think what's replacing them has finally reached a point where its like, "this is fucking cool."

Manuals offer a more enthusiast drivers experience, but a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
          Varg was by the shop today lending a hand (praising the m42 as usual!), and we were discussing this very same thing. The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
            That's typically only on a track though. If you're driving a car at its limit on the street, you're going entirely too fast for public roads.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Varg was by the shop today lending a hand (praising the m42 as usual!), and we were discussing this very same thing. The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
              Theres no doubt about the fact that technology has made the automatic transmission better performing than the manuals, but the downside is the growing disconnect between the driver of the vehicle and the vehicles connection to the road...

and Im getting annoyed about how much Varg loves the M42, OK WE GET IT, the M42 is great
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                That's typically only on a track though. If you're driving a car at its limit on the street, you're going entirely too fast for public roads.
                Yes, you're right, but even not at the limit, especially in the twisties here in California, just having less time with both hands off the wheel is really nice.

And i'm talking about manuals with paddle shifters, not your typical auto trans paddle shifters like a durango.

Like the Aston I'm doing a clutch on rn. It's a single clutch manual with paddle shifters and when that thing shifts its like being punched in back of the head followed by a jab to the face. It's pretty fucking awesome.

except when you have to pay 3200 bucks for just a clutch LOL
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

a good trans and paddles can be fun/more confidence inspiring when you're really driving a car at it's limit.
                  Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  The "auto- manual" is actually quicker then the stick manual. Watching an in car track video of a c8 the other day and noticed how smooth the down shifts and rev matching the computer does - very natural sounding, even.
                  These are the arguments I hear a lot and I don't get it. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not buying a new car to drive it at the limit or be faster than the next car.
                  For me it's 100% the experience, I want to row my own gears. I want to be rewarded for nailing that flawless downshift, not have it handed to me every single time by a computer.

If driving was some sort of chore, then I'd agree with the objective "it's faster" or "it does it right every time" arguments, but it genuinely increases my enjoyment of the drive if I get to embrace what I guess are imperfections in the technology.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Having my Neon was fun for the manual aspect, but having an auto as my daily is also really nice. Of course, the Jeep has a custom tune, so the transmission also shifts much better. It's nice having A-B comfort and still being able to step on it and have fun. Now, the e30 is still my fave for a good rowing session, and forever will be.
                    88 325i Cabrio
                    04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

It's not that difficult, paddles for a performance car, an auto for appliances and a manual for mischief.

Comment

Im finding a lot more joy in a lighter, better balanced car. Give me ~200bhp and ~ 2000# over 500bhp and 3500# anyday Im smiling a lot more and getting to really experience the car
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Pretty much what rouge said is my sentiment towards that whole subject lol.

And also, to echo what simon said.

Light cars with modest power are where it's at for the ultimate driving experience IMO

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Im finding a lot more joy in a lighter, better balanced car. Give me ~200bhp and ~ 2000# over 500bhp and 3500# anyday Im smiling a lot more and getting to really experience the car
                            But why not 2000# and 500 HP? *THAT* sounds like mischief.

Comment

That sounds like a death trap
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                                But why not 2000# and 500 HP? *THAT* sounds like mischief.
                                Yes please.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X