No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so annoying... Inspecting the parts during the teardown and the MR2s coilpacks all had hairline cracks. Decided to order new ones and RockAuto has the best price on the Denso OEM ones at $35 and change. I put 4 in the cart, and it changed it to 3 and wouldnt let me order 4. So I place my order, go back in and theres still available so I order one more. Luckily the extra $6 for the individual shipping is the only ding, but what a pain in the ass haha
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

maybe the most they had at one warehouse was 3 and it doesn't know how to deal with that?
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Daughter calls us two day ago, frantic. No one is practicing social distancing, or wearing masks for the most part in rural Tallahassee. Well, one of her friends calls to let her and her roomie know that he was tested positive for covid. Several people were riding in a car together last week, so, the girls went to test yesterday. Roomie is positive, daughter currently is not. They both have to quarantine. My daughter works at an apt. rental office, so she hasn't had much contact outside her group of friends, simple for other workers to get tested and clean the office. However, her roomie works at a bar/grill, and when she told her boss, they had her stay home for quarantine - but AFAIK are staying open as usual. I know that we have been avoiding the subject here, but it has now hit close to me. :/

Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 06-19-2020, 06:38 AM.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          maybe the most they had at one warehouse was 3 and it doesn't know how to deal with that?
          This has happened before and it will show two deliveries. Oh well, just happy to have 4 on their way now
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

what year is your car simon?

Edit, my warehouse is out of stock.

But next time hmu

I can get almost anything within an hour and I get good prices.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

^^Worldpac?

Man, now I know why precision turning is so expensive. Doing a small job where the parts are +.0005/-.0000. It's not easy to nail half a thou on something that's just over 3/8" and .200" thick. This last one was .0007" over, touched it with some sandpaper and the thing was under. :( Did 3 of them so far, two came in under - 11 more to go, wowzers.

Time to turn on some relaxing music hehe.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                ^^Worldpac?

Man, now I know why precision turning is so expensive. Doing a small job where the parts are +.0005/-.0000. It's not easy to nail half a thou on something that's just over 3/8" and .200" thick. This last one was .0007" over, touched it with some sandpaper and the thing was under. :( Did 3 of them so far, two came in under - 11 more to go, wowzers.

Time to turn on some relaxing music hehe.
                Yeah, I've been using them almost exclusively now that their catalog surpasses SSF

Having a CNC lathe is a life saver. Even on similar sized jobs that your doing, I won't even bother with the manual ones. That margin is no joke
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Daughter calls us two day ago, frantic. No one is practicing social distancing, or wearing masks for the most part in rural Tallahassee. Well, one of her friends calls to let her and her roomie know that he was tested positive for covid. Several people were riding in a car together last week, so, the girls went to test yesterday. Roomie is positive, currently is not. They both have to quarantine. My daughter works at an apt. rental office, so she hasn't had much contact outside her group of friends, simple for other workers to get tested and clean the office. However, her roomie works at a bar/grill, and when she told her boss, they had her stay home for quarantine - but AFAIK are staying open as usual. I know that we have been avoiding the subject here, but it has now hit close to me. :/
                  Well $hit. Hope all’s alright.
                  Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                  The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                  The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                  The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Burgundy, learnt CNC precision in 2006-ish. Before opening an automotive shop. In fact, almost finished restoring the 1981 Kitamura MyCenter 2 with FANUC 6m controls and 240v DC 6hp spindle - that happens to be the very machine I was mentored. :) :)

Nailed the parts before leaving earlier (about 6:15est). Made my work more rigid, and turned a long section at once. Got about 2" turned at .00025 over after finish. Just have to part them off now. Took about an hour to dial in, but after another 30 or so min, have a precision shaft. So, BMW charges $9 plus shipping for an oil Gally plug for the iron blocks. I made 12 in 2hr after an hour of fidgeting, and now am set up to make many more in demand. :)
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post

Well $hit. Hope all’s alright.
                      Thank you. We are a healthy conscience family. She is athletic, eats well etc. No underlying issues, so....

Doesn't change the fact I JUST reprimanded her and her roomie for thier actions. They came down to visit for Memorial Day, and almost bragging about the low rates and non-adherence to caution.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

it's unstoppable at this point.

Comment

My wife bought one of those maker engraver cutter things. Have a feeling this thing is going to get some serious use. Already cutting shop decals, planning on a bunch of other little things for it. Saw a dude on YouTube making obsolete gaskets. Hehe
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Thank you. We are a healthy conscience family. She is athletic, eats well etc. No underlying issues, so....

Doesn't change the fact I JUST reprimanded her and her roomie for thier actions. They came down to visit for Memorial Day, and almost bragging about the low rates and non-adherence to caution.
                            Best of luck, it's hard to ignore the reality.

Yeah, I'm planning on flying from BTR to CLT to pick up the F30.
                            Flight is two weeks out, as of right now, I'll mitigate with an N95 mask, It's a small plane and I changed my seat so I'm A1 on a Bombardier CRJ-700, which is as solo as I can get. I'll be masking it up, and washing clothes as soon as I get to my destination. If the cases grow much more daily I'll have to drive and trailer it back.

Also, after doing a bit of digging, most F30 owners are not the same level of enthusiast as present on R3v. More "Sonny" level it seems.
                            I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                              Also, after doing a bit of digging, most F30 owners are not the same level of enthusiast as present on R3v. More "Sonny" level it seems.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	laughs superlatively.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	9933441

Who would've figured that many of the owners of a new car made by a company which has over time tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator, would be among the lowest common denominator?

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

EVERYONE will get it... the ONLY variable is how many people are sick at once in a given area and what the burden will be on local health care resources.

Comment

Working...
                                X