Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Man parts are starting to dry up. Try to find an early model 325 radiator, Koni shocks, CRP hoses etc. :(
    I've seen a lot of parts I've had no issues getting, like pads and rotors be hard to come by.
    I think people are bored and are shopping.

That being said, I had no issues getting a Behr radiator for my car two years ago.
    I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      You know what else is a awesome car IMO

I saw one of these last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chevrolet_ss(3).ashx?modified=20190530131418.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	9948663
      On one of my tail of the dragon trips, one guy brought an SS, manual.
      I had the opportunity to hoon it on some excellent roads.

It's a modern day E39 M5.
      I do things.

Comment

YES!! I'd love a SS. It's more pratical, family to think about, and I'd be able to drive it more as the family could come with me.

Another car to throw in the mix and that is affordable is the Caprice PPV. 6.0 LS with a 4l80e. There was one that was cammed and bolt ons and was manual swapped for like $15k.
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

I've seen a lot of parts I've had no issues getting, like pads and rotors be hard to come by.
          I think people are bored and are shopping.

That being said, I had no issues getting a Behr radiator for my car two years ago.
          I had no problem getting them two months ago lol. The shop usually has at least half dozen e30's floating around getting various work done, so the local parts supply stays lacking. In the last decade have seen e30 dashboards dry up, restocked, then dry up again....same with Bilstein a couple years ago, Mhale pistons about 1.5yr ago etc. Now that the YOUNGEST e30 is almost 30yr old, things are changing.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Bummer, but bound to happen, and I'm sure we'll see an across the board markup.
          Yup. A couple years ago, the metal cross over pipe for late models dried up. BMW made more, and put a $180 price tag on them, suddenly, that stupid pipe is selling for $120 on fleabay - USED! ~8yr ago they were like $60.

Early model steering knuckles....bought the last one in Germany a while back, $270, now NLA. L:ast I looked, late model knuckles were also NLA. :(
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

On the plus side the rising prices do make room for cottage industry. However, selling those products can be challenging, especially to shops where there may be a liability issue, which is funny, as we often have no idea of the actual manufacturing quality of a part until it fails, but buying a known brand offers installers some protection.

Comment

on a side note...been looking more into affiliate marketing...
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

$50k Dodge?... Im good. If my ONLY goal was the fastest sedan this would be a smart buy except that it still gets beat by a Tesla sooo... losing that battle too. I would never get a Tesla though

At least with a NA Benz V8 or BMW you are sitting in a nice cabin

There must be something weird with me because Im not chasing the car thats the fastest, I need something that puts a smile on my face. Hell, my C350 was fast enough to get me into trouble and it had less than 300bhp...

Someone send help, I think somethings wrong with me.
                Hellcat Chargers cost a lot more than $50k. Tesla? I'm with you on not wanting one but probably for different reasons. As a whole, miss me with that garbage. Ugliest interiors in production, build quality of mid 2000s hyundai, scummy subsidy bound company that pulls moves like not letting people buy parts, cutting off access to charger network for totaled and rebuilt cars (watch some rich rebuilds videos and you get to hear about how Tesla treats its customers, it's disappointing), and worst of all, no snarling 700hp V8. Modern Benz or BMW? I'd rather have a Dodge to be honest. You can't bank on reputation with modern BMWs and Mercedes anymore, since their reputation is being money pits after the warranty is up. The Charger is at least less likely to be designed-for-lease and ready to dump a $10,000 repair bill on you at any time than a comparable V8 BMW or Benz. As for chasing the fastest car; a fool's errand and not even remotely the point of a Hellcat. The point of a Hellcat is simple: because we still can. We won't be able to have factory 700hp+ family sedans and muscle cars forever, but we have the technology to do it reliably now while somehow meeting modern emissions and safety standards. It's faster than you'll ever need; and that's a good thing.

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                You know what else is a awesome car IMO

I saw one of these last night.
                I wanted to like them. So much potential but so much letdown. Goofy looking from the front and didn't even make it into the high 12s in the magazine tests. Honestly better off with a G8 GXP + mods than an SS.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  Tesla? I'm with you on not wanting one but probably for different reasons. As a whole, miss me with that garbage. Ugliest interiors in production, build quality of mid 2000s hyundai, scummy subsidy bound company that pulls moves like not letting people buy parts, cutting off access to charger network for totaled and rebuilt cars (watch some rich rebuilds videos and you get to hear about how Tesla treats its customers, it's disappointing.
                  Yes, all of those reasons and more. I think the only EV I’d get today is an E-Golf. Although I think the way they got roped into that shit by the Govt is a shame... The more I think about it the more I want a w201 190 Diesel... but who knows what the next few months will look like for me
                  Last edited by 2mAn; 09-04-2020, 02:18 PM.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I had no problem getting them two months ago lol. The shop usually has at least half dozen e30's floating around getting various work done, so the local parts supply stays lacking. In the last decade have seen e30 dashboards dry up, restocked, then dry up again....same with Bilstein a couple years ago, Mhale pistons about 1.5yr ago etc. Now that the YOUNGEST e30 is almost 30yr old, things are changing.
                    I forget you run a shop!

Derp!
                    I do things.

Comment

Hope everyone had a nice Labor Day weekend to bring our lovely summer to an end ... lol...

I watched a lot of YouTube and saw a CDC ad on repeat about a few people getting together and then they all got COVID... haha
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Hope everyone had a nice Labor Day weekend to bring our lovely summer to an end ... lol...

I watched a lot of YouTube and saw a CDC ad on repeat about a few people getting together and then they all got COVID... haha
                        Woah, man, it's a post today that isn't spam, or is it? Also, just block those ads.

Comment

That new Aston Victor is pretty fucking cool

Subscribe to STG: http://bitly.com/SubToSTGBe part of my podcast by becoming a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/behindtheglassWant to know where to get grea...
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I worked yesterday...whomp whomp, but I did volunteer for it lol
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd

Comment

I took the weekend off from the shop, but always stay busy. Was urban hunting/hunting Bullseye Snakeheads yesterday, only catching a sunburn for anything worth talking about. Had a few good top water strikes (was the game), but never got a hook set. They have hard jaws, teeth, but are also smart and can spit hooks. Sighted a pair hanging under a foot bridge, but they also spotted me - so strung a threw a grub on a jig head, one darted upon splash, the other saw it and "sniffed" it, then darted too.

Anyways, had planned on going in Sat and working on the fat tire bike, but shipping delay, that package came today. So, after work, I installed a 2 stroke kit on the Mongoose. Welded some motor mounts, turned the sprocket on the lathe so the stock rear disc brake could be retained with a left hand drive motor. Had to chop/rotate/weld the intake manifold, grind/clearance the caliper, but it all got sorted in just a few hours after closing. Gotta fuel it up and install the throttle/grip. Ran into a snag with handlebar layout when I when the stock gear selector communicated with the throttle control (bike has right hand twist selector for 7 speed derailleur). Unsure how to mitigate that, but will get it tomorrow after hours, might just have to use an old school 10 speed type lever in the interim, throttle is more important lol

john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Took a few mins and installed the throttle cable. The bike does 28mph effortlessly, and actually doesn't feel overly safe going that fast haha. The thing is a riot. Well worth the $100 for the kit.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X