No announcement yet.

N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's important to do it right. If I lived in Cali, I would've had to learn what you are talking about. I would try to talk with a 'referee' ahead of time if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeJ View Post
      I mounted my OBD under the steering wheel on the kick panel. In hindsight, it should be in or near the glove box so the cable doesn't have to reach across everything if you want to place the laptop on the passenger seat.
      Do you happen to have a picture of your set up? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by projectJTv4 View Post

Do you happen to have a picture of your set up? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230123_1701051.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	10082700

Comment

It's not much, but here is something for you all. I printed this and slapped it up in the garage when I was sorting things.

The WDS and images for the IVM require squinting and second guessing. This makes it simple, at least for my configuration.

Anywhere I can, I want to add clarity for the next guy.

Name:	image.png
Views:	474
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	10095652
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Hello again! Feeling a new spark of motivation with all these new developments I keep hearing about. Finally started pulling the trigger on some parts: IVM, z4 pedal, and engine arms.

Hoping to sell my S52 car shortly and roll the slicktop into the middle of the shop for some amateur rust repair before I start getting into the motor.

Loving all the progress in the new sub!

-Peter
            -Peter
            '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
            '91 318is slicktop project
            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
            '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by projectJTv4 View Post

That's good to know. I must have missed it somehow if it was mentioned here. I spent most of my morning reading through all 53 pages / 791 posts on this thread. I've tried numerous times before to read through all of it but never did until today. Now that I have an N52 sitting in my garage, I'm a bit more motivated to read thoroughly. There's a few posts specific to wiring, but it was mentioned it was trivial in comparison to mocking up the oil pan and arms.

LOL that would be hilarious if that happened here. Typically for engine swaps in California they can either be dirty smogged or legitimately done through a BAR Referee. From what I read, they go through your swap with a fine tooth comb, looking for anything out of place, non-OEM, aftermarket, non CARB approved items. All emissions related equipment must be fully functional.

On top of the emissions portion, they require that the DME be verified by a BMW dealership to confirm nothing has been altered. I'm reading some will waive the EWS delete, as they understand it is not emissions related. This is copy from another thread on here: "I received your letter and forwarded it to BAR. They requested that the info be put on a dealer invoice. They want verification that the PCM is for a 1999 BMW M3 CA cert. The BAR would like the dealer to list the Calibration ID (CAL ID) and Calibration verification number (CVN) as well."

Full discussion of here on another thread. I posted the question a few months ago regarding getting a swapped N52/4/5 BAR'd, but no one responded. I'm assuming no one on here has done so yet?​

I'm opting to do it correctly, as this would be my daily driver.

This is also my first engine swap, so I have plenty to learn here. I'm grateful for this platform and all that have contributed to the discussion, it's really given me a lot of confidence to try something new.
              Pretty sure no one has - the biggest challenge will be all the gas tank related modifications.

Comment

I've been trying to do a proper corner weight of my car for a while now, all I've known is that I cross the big scales at 2700# and that my car is around 2470#

Short of proper corner scales, I bought a $50 Amazon 700# scale and leveled the car. I rolled it back and forth each time I moved the scale to unbind the suspension, measuring 1 wheel at a time. (the other 3 wheels were on lumber to match the scale height)

N52 (obviously), no A/C, no sunroof, 2 Sparco seats, no radio or speakers. no tar. rear seat delete.

Full carpet, full tank of gas, spare.

Power steering moved to trunk, 38# lead battery replaced by 6# lithium.

If I remove the spare my full-up track weight is 2400 with a full tank.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	10115082
                Last edited by hoveringuy; 02-25-2024, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Very nice, when my car runs (I need to stop saying that) I look forward to borrowing some scales so I can get a real weight for mine too.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I figured it would be closer to 52/48 F/R.

Id measure out 1/2 tank with driver weight to get closest scaled setup.

Probably disconnect the swaybars incase they are preloading.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      I figured it would be closer to 52/48 F/R.

Id measure out 1/2 tank with driver weight to get closest scaled setup.

Probably disconnect the swaybars incase they are preloading.
                      I couldn't sit in the seat without maxing the scale, so I put 100lbs in the seat in addition to each empty corner reading, then I doubled the difference to come up with the attached.

Error is probably +/-5lbs per wheel, but it's pretty close. I mean, when I do a home alignment and then get it professionally done I'm usually within a tenth of a degree.

As far as the 54%, while I've taken a lot of weight off the nose, I've taken even more out of the back. Trunk tar, tools and battery alone is probably 80lbs. A CF hood will get me closer to 53%.

In any case, Nissan says 54% is "perfect", so there ya go.... https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...erfect_weight/

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	10115335

Comment

Working...
                      X