N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    It's still not very economical to 3D print a manifold that will actually last long term . Some of the less critical areas of the manifold would work fine. Bolting to the head no way. A Cnc or cast adapter is the way to go IMO depending on quantity
    We had a full (ie. from behind single throttle body to port) single-piece 3d printed intake for a CBR600RR in an old iteration of our FSAE car, probably ~2012ish. I think it survived 3-4 engines (~1 engine per year... lol) and seems to be in good shape after being thrown around the past 4 shops we've had. Seems at least as robust as an e36 intake. It was a sponsored part made by Realize Inc. I think they're super common now in FSAE. Sure it's not the same as 200k+ on a production engine, but I think there's a reasonable possibility it would last.

I 100% agree that it's not economical though.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      We had a full (ie. from behind single throttle body to port) single-piece 3d printed intake for a CBR600RR in an old iteration of our FSAE car, probably ~2012ish. I think it survived 3-4 engines (~1 engine per year... lol) and seems to be in good shape after being thrown around the past 4 shops we've had. Seems at least as robust as an e36 intake. It was a sponsored part made by Realize Inc. I think they're super common now in FSAE. Sure it's not the same as 200k+ on a production engine, but I think there's a reasonable possibility it would last. I 100% agree that it's not economical though.
      What was the material? I built my own printers and while they're not close to commercial printers. THey've got the capabilities for 400+c° prints.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

We had a full (ie. from behind single throttle body to port) single-piece 3d printed intake for a CBR600RR in an old iteration of our FSAE car, probably ~2012ish. I think it survived 3-4 engines (~1 engine per year... lol) and seems to be in good shape after being thrown around the past 4 shops we've had. Seems at least as robust as an e36 intake. It was a sponsored part made by Realize Inc. I think they're super common now in FSAE. Sure it's not the same as 200k+ on a production engine, but I think there's a reasonable possibility it would last.

I 100% agree that it's not economical though.
        I'm interested in the material to. The complicated part is adding metal inserts for the mounting bolts to stop relaxation.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Why an adapter? It bolts up, why not port out the N52 head to match the throttles? The ports and, I @$$ume, the valves are smaller than S54's, but we don't yet know if the N52 head can be improved to perform closer to an S54 head. I suspect that someone looking to swap on S54 throttles could afford a head/throttle package.
          because a spacer (about 1" thick) is needed anyway in order for it to clear the OFH.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Material: http://www.windform.com/

Example: https://www.crptechnology.com/intake...-xt-vm-motori/
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

That would certainly work. I don't think I print that material. I really need to buy a s54 TB and get to work on this.
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                What was the material? I built my own printers and while they're not close to commercial printers. THey've got the capabilities for 400+c° prints.
                Our team has no documentation to go with it. There was a team reboot in 2015, and 99% of what came before that is gone.

Here is their materials page: https://realizeinc.com/materials/

I think they mostly did SLA in that era, but I don't know what resin. I think there has been some evolution in 3d printing since this was made too
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                  That would certainly work. I don't think I print that material. I really need to buy a s54 TB and get to work on this.
                  Im 99% sure you don’t have a hobby laser sintering machine :) They are starting to make more affordable printers so its possible to have one at home. Definitely not the run of the mill 3D printer!

-Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I was going to say - that looks cool, but sounds expensive.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

I'm interested in the material to. The complicated part is adding metal inserts for the mounting bolts to stop relaxation.
                      I've used these before. They would even somewhat replicate the OE plastic intake manifold. Of course i'd have to heat them up a bit more for the filament I plan to use.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post

Im 99% sure you don’t have a hobby laser sintering machine :) They are starting to make more affordable printers so its possible to have one at home. Definitely not the run of the mill 3D printer!

Its only a matter of time before we get a DIY SLS solution. Filament based printers have plateaued.

Defiantly a ways to go before i can make my own intake!

91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

I didn't know where else to pose this questions, so i'll post it here.

I noticed recently that the N54 is a rear oil sump. Would this mean that you could basically drop that into an IX? If you wanted to bastardize the IX and make it RWD with an N54 (because the front subframe is oriented further toward the front)? would that be possible you think (in theory?)

Comment

Yeah, I've test fitted it (N52 pan is the same). It fits really well.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Yeah, I've test fitted it (N52 pan is the same). It fits really well.
                              So the ix (ironically) is perfect for an N5X swap IF you're willing to become RWD? That's kind of crazy.

Comment

I've considered it. Just to get it moving... But really I just need time to build a motor.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X