The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Sorry - I meant Mahle/Behr, not Bosch. I think you have the right dryer for the 2-switch set up. Here are the part numbers I have.

On box - AD240000S
    On dryer - 50986A

Cory
    Thank you Cory! My dryer says 64101 however the box has the same PN and it looks the same. I'm going for it!
    sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by 808ETA View Post

Thank you Cory! My dryer says 64101 however the box has the same PN and it looks the same. I'm going for it!
      Let us know how it goes. I bought the wrong dryer first. They both looked the same but the plug where one of the switches mounts could not be removed. I tore it up trying to get that plug out.

Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2712092C-EF20-4888-8A79-CF4AA902666D.png
Views:	616
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	10022026 I get asked often enough about AC that I wanted to share this. It explains rather clearly why using a manifold gauge to figure out when you've pulled a proper vac is an exercise in futility. The difference between 500-1000-1500 microns is a hairs width on the dial.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Got everything buttoned up and system recharged!! Thank you again for everyones tips and help!
          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Got everything buttoned up and system recharged!! Thank you again for everyones tips and help!
            Awesome!
            Another success story helps convince others that this approach is a true & trusted solution.
            E30 320i vert
            But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Awesome! Were you able to use the dryer we discussed with the 2-switch set up?

Cory
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post

Awesome!
                Another success story helps convince others that this approach is a true & trusted solution.
                For sure! This is about 20 degrees cooler than just changing the fittings and adding 134a like I did initially.
                sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Awesome! Were you able to use the dryer we discussed with the 2-switch set up?

Cory
                  Yes, It worked perfect. No need to cut or splice any wires. Thank you again Cory!
                  sigpic84 325e

Comment

Thought some of you might be interested in the compressor that i put on my m20b23. I couldn't find an oem r134a compressor in Australia for less than about $1600 aud....

So I used a Sanden SD5H09 gineric R134a compressor, that only cost me about $330 AUD brand new. You can get them with the V belt or the ribbed belt, obviously get the V belt one. probably even cheaper in the USA.

I made my own bracket as the oem compressor has a really long nose on it and the Sanden is significantly smaller than oem. In heinsight i should have made the bracket so the compressor sits slightly lower as it does make the CAS very hard to remove (i have an m20b25 CAS - megasquirt)

I then had to modify the hard lines - you can see where i TIG welded on a new fittings to the hard lines (after cutting off the rubber bit) - these were called "bulk head connectors" for AC lines. Then just got some hose and fittings and made new lines to suit - these from were a vintage AC shop - really quite cheap and easy to make - supplied with a crimping tool. excuse my welding - first tig project - but it doesn't leak!

The rest of the r134a conversion was same as specified, i did just re-use the r12 condensor. seems to work fine. New TX valve and dryer were pretty cheap and then I just put new R134a orings everywhere. got it gassed a month or two ago, and works quite good and the sanden is very quiet, hardly tell its on.

I have since put a bit of heat protection on that AC rubber line - but its not as close to the exhaust as it looks in the photo.

Apologies for the photos uploaded weird.

Click image for larger version  Name:	compressor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	10022276

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	10022277
                    Last edited by e30davie; 06-21-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                      Thought some of you might be interested in the compressor that i put on my m20b23.
                      Nice!
                      You have the stock oil cooler I assume?
                      E30 320i vert
                      But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

I don't have any oil cooler. I don't think any of the M20b23 had an engine oil cooler. Mine was originally auto, dunno if the manual one did.

Comment

Since I had was replacing everything with new parts I decided to sent my A/C compressor out to be rebuild. It was working fine however I didn't want to have a weak link in the system and have to go in there again. Mike from Discount A/C was very informative and rebuilt it in 1 day. Shipping wasn't bad either as it fit in a USPS medium flat rate box. Total cost was $172 including shipping, insurance and pulley bearing replacement. They also have good prices on new and rebuilt A/C

http://www.discountautoac-compressor...or-C20804.aspx

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dirty Compressor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	10022574 Click image for larger version  Name:	Rebuilt Compressor .jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	10022573
                          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                            I don't know why anyone struggles with converting to R134a, just run R12a.
                            This. I made zero changes to my hardware. Verified system held vacuum and charged with FrostyCool R12a that I got on eBay (I think it's a way better deal to buy direct from their website even though shipping is ~$19 though so I'd probably avoid the eBay seller). I was getting 41*F at the center vents on idle (fan on 2, recirc ON) and a consistent 33*F at cruise (at one point I saw 32.x*F). Ambient temp was ~70*F and very high humidity; waiting for the heat to come back to do some more testing but I expect some pretty good performance out of the system.

Per the FrostyCool website, I used 11oz of their R12a refrigerant to charge the E30 system that calls for 2.1lbs (+/- .05) of R12. For equipment, I used some manifold gauges, R134a conversion fittings and a two-stage vacuum pump - all off Amazon. I left my existing dual pressure switch setup in place as well as the stock expansion valve. I'm still playing with things so I'll report back with more concrete data on pressures and things like that. I thought I may have overcharged the system so I vented some refrigerant out and now I believe it's under-charged again as my idle vent temps went up to 52*F and cruise vent is 37*F. All of this is on factory R12 parts namely the condenser (fin/tube not parallel flow).

I had another E30 325iX converted to R134a about 10 years ago and that car performed admirably; however, I really think sticking with the R12 system (tube and fin condenser), replacing the dryer and all the o-rings is the correct solution for these cars. Based on my research, I'm just not concerned about running a hydrocarbon-based refrigerant either (a common argument against R12a). It is unfortunate that the EPA hasn't approved this as a replacement for R12 systems as it is better for the environment than even R134a (which is no longer in favor anyway as everyone is switching to R1234yf or whatever it is).

Comment

I think people are making more of a deal out of the "Conversion" than it requires. it all comes down to if you need a new compressor or not. if the old compressor works fine then theres no issue with just staying with r12 or the modern equivalent. if you need a new compressor then you might as well go for an R134a one. And if you are going to the effort of changing the compressor you really should get a new dryer (cheap), and you might as well get a new TX valve while you have no gas in it (also quite cheap). And then all new o'rings are worth nothing and it wasnt that big of a deal to swap them all out. Pressure switches don't cost much at all to get a new one. And as mentioned i just used the original R12 condenser and evaporator. the car is so small that the loss of efficiency i don't think matters so much. of course if you need a new condenser or evaporator then get an r134a one.

You USA guys seem to be able to buy the refrigerant very easy, here in Australia you cant even buy gas without a refrigeration license, so it costs $200 minimum to get gas put in, so i made sure to get it all new so as not to need more gas down the track if something leaks etc.

Comment

I had a bit of a setback. I couldn't for the life of me get the low-side pressure to come up at all. Would stay around 5-8psi - high side was ~150psi. The vent temp was exceptionally cold but after 30-40 minutes of driving, the vent temps would start to increase to low-mid 50's (F). I'm pretty sure the evaporator core was freezing up (also noticed fan performance wasn't quite as good and sounded a bit different. Without being able to see in there, I'm just guessing. The thought is the thermal expansion valve (TXV) is hung up and not metering flow well enough which is causing very low temps but eventually ending in an ice-over condition. At this point I've ordered new hoses, TXV, o-rings, dryer, low switch, high switch and a new tube/fin condenser to get to a point where I know what I have. I'm also poking around trying to sort out the parts necessary to run through the compressor as well. There is a guy over on mye28.com that rebuilds them but I'd prefer to try it myself if I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X