Finally Dyno'd my Stock Bottom End Turbo M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Dyno'd my Stock Bottom End Turbo M20

Over the last few months we opened up a dyno tuning shop, DyNomad Mobile Tuning, here in North Louisiana. Since we have opened, I've had very little time to mess with my own M20 E30, but yesterday after installing our lift, we had a little free time to see what the ol girl puts down, and we were not disappointed. This car has been sitting for the last 6 months. The tank was still 1/8th full of old Ethanol, so of course we used it. The battery was dead and had to be jumped off to even get onto the rollers. Air filter was dirty and is small, but we left it on.

Here's the run down on the setup:
    Engine: Unknown Mileage STOCK B27 Short Block with borrowed #2 piston, rod, and bearings from a destroyed motor we had laying around.
    Head: STOCK head gasket with ARP Studs, 280/274 cam, HD Rockers and Springs, Welded Coolant Channels.
    Turbo Setup: RSI Manifold, Precision T3 Gen 1 6266 0.84, 2.85“ straight Exhaust (yes, not even 3"), dirty and small air filter, Precision 46mm wastegate, no BOV
    Fuel: ID1000, Walbro 450, STOCK feed and and return, STOCK fuel rail, STOCK FPR
    ECU: MS3 Pro Evo, Full Sequential Ignition and Fuel, LS coil packs, Mac 4 port boost controller, AEM wideband.

This is the first time this car has ever seen a dyno, as it is 100% street tuned.
    We figured it was making pretty good power, so before we tore it apart for the forged stroker swap, we decided to see what kind of power we had been making on this stock bottom end for the last few years.
    Wastegate pressure - ~13psi - 404whp/415tq
    High Boost ~21psi - 522whp/527tq
    We honestly could keep going. Plenty of fuel left for more power, I think we could get close to 600whp if we wanted a glory run.
    We are going to work on a few small things before we remove the engine, maybe we will get it back on there for a glory run. We will see.

Watch till the end of the video for a treat

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156243.jpg Views:	4 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	9957936 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156247.jpg Views:	4 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	9957937 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156246.jpg Views:	4 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	9957938 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156245.jpg Views:	4 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	9957939 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156248.jpg Views:	4 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	9957940
    Last edited by SLEEPYDUB; 10-28-2020, 07:28 AM.
    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
    Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Dumb question, what initiated the bam-bam-bam-bam-bam? I'm assuming it was spark cut, but why?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Crazy. That is a lot of power for a ~2,500lb E30. I can't imagine it puts it all into forward motion.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

are you worried about running ethanol through the stock lines/rail?
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          Dumb question, what initiated the bam-bam-bam-bam-bam? I'm assuming it was spark cut, but why?
          I have antilag setup on a momentary button. I use this for roll racing. It is spark cut. Builds enough boost to give me an edge on the start. 2.93 gears put me at one shift from 60-160.

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Crazy. That is a lot of power for a ~2,500lb E30. I can't imagine it puts it all into forward motion.
          It actually does pretty well. I don't do much dig racing, but if I do I use some 24.5" Mickey Thompson ET Drags. This is a drift car that does occasional roll racing. With these R888R out back, it has decent traction, enough to bust 600-700whp cars from a roll.

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          are you worried about running ethanol
          ​​​​​​through the stock lines/rail?
          ​​​​​​​Not really. Haven't had pump gas in this car for nearly 4 years now. I did upgrade the soft lines to ethanol safe stock size lines, but the hard lines are all still stock.

Comment

What size are the R888R's?
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

clean setup. whats the size of your wheels and suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
                It actually does pretty well. I don't do much dig racing, but if I do I use some 24.5" Mickey Thompson ET Drags. This is a drift car that does occasional roll racing. With these R888R out back, it has decent traction, enough to bust 600-700whp cars from a roll.
                It does pretty well in roll racing or on slicks lol, so that's about what I expected. Putting your power to weight ratio into perspective; with a driver of a equivalent weight, it's about the same power to weight ratio as a typical 600cc supersport with rider. It would walk me on my lightly modded ZRX1200R from a wheelspin free roll.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Dynocom.. LOL trump numbers. But surely nice car with engine like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    What size are the R888R's?
                    225/45/16

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                    clean setup. whats the size of your wheels and suspension?
                    16x9 and I run SLR angle kit up front, BC racing coils, and bunch of reinforcement and camber/toe correction in the rear
                    Originally posted by varg View Post

It does pretty well in roll racing or on slicks lol, so that's about what I expected. Putting your power to weight ratio into perspective; with a driver of a equivalent weight, it's about the same power to weight ratio as a typical 600cc supersport with rider. It would walk me on my lightly modded ZRX1200R from a wheelspin free roll.
                    Yea It walks 600s pretty hard. I'll be going M4 DCT here soon and we will see how it does from a dig

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                    Dynocom.. LOL trump numbers. But surely nice car with engine like that!
                    I don't understand that reference, but maybe you are saying they are inflated? If so, you couldn't be more wrong, as this dyno reads lower then the other dynojets in town, but not quite as low as the Mustang 1750. This dyno has been consistently accurate with stock cars on their power outputs, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

Comment

with relatively lower power levels i.e. NA builds Dyncom are much happier than dynojet. Probably different with bigger power though
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
                        225/45/16
                        Thanks. This gives me hope lol

and Re: Dynocom, there's a Dynocom awd dyno here and it's the local "heartbreaker" dyno as far as I'm aware.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

By the given base engine volumetric efficiency specs we can estimate the realistic power output on boost.

Let's be optimistic and say that the unported M20B27 with a cam like that has potential of 170whp as N/A. Then we multiply it with the boost pressure (13psi in the example)

170+(170*13/14.5) = 322whp

This is only true when there is optimal intake/exhaust pressure ratio. Too restrictive turbine sides may block the full potential.

The formula is easy and can be used to do simple math for reality checking.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            with relatively lower power levels i.e. NA builds Dyncom are much happier than dynojet. Probably different with bigger power though
                            Local here made 518whp on same turbo and forged b25 at 19psi. Based on my experience, these numbers are not far off.

By the given base engine volumetric efficiency specs we can estimate the realistic power output on boost.

Let's be optimistic and say that the unported M20B27 with a cam like that has potential of 170whp as N/A. Then we multiply it with the boost pressure (13psi in the example)

This is only true when there is optimal intake/exhaust pressure ratio. Too restrictive turbine sides may block the full potential.

Pressure is only half the equation. An hx35 turbo at 1bar is not going to make the same power as this Precision 6266 at 1bar. The flow ratios are far too different to stuff them in a generic formula. I have built many hx35 cars and they peak out at about 350whp on pump fuel at 15psi. As you can see above, the 6266 makes more at the same boost levels (~25% more).

As far as VE, I have built several b27's that make over 180whp NA. One of the members here has a 2.9l( mrlucretius ) - we remote dyno tuned it, 5000' elevation so it never saw past 75kpa in the logs. Still put down 215whp. Would love to see what it makes down here at sea level!

You can have over 100% VE and/or 100hp/liter. The s54 in stock form shows us that.

EDIT: To add to the confusion, dyno'd many eta engines with 885 heads slapped on them, they never made over 145whp. Tired m20b25's tend to do 145-155.

See here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ad#post9875136
                            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 11-09-2020, 09:46 AM.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

That works much more reliably for torque, nevertless i agree torque seems high for the boost level (could be several reasons though) when compared to numbers below. It outdoes more than a couple of 3.2L when corrected to atmo and basically matches some on e85 with 500cc less

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post26352417

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

As far as VE, I have built several b27's that make over 180whp NA. One of the members here has a 2.9l( mrlucretius ) - we remote dyno tuned it, 5000' elevation so it never saw past 75kpa in the logs. Still put down 215whp. Would love to see what it makes down here at sea level!

You can have over 100% VE and/or 100hp/liter. The s54 in stock form shows us that.

EDIT: To add to the confusion, dyno'd many eta engines with 885 heads slapped on them, they never made over 145whp. Tired m20b25's tend to do 145-155.

See here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ad#post9875136
                              this is not a built 2.9L ported head, 288 cam, itb etc though, it is one of the 145whp jobs with a cam and e85

Mrlucretius engine would make basically the same numbers at sea level as its corrected by pressure, temp and humidity (the CF was around 1.2)
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X