Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sooo how doggy is an M20 with an auto trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooo how doggy is an M20 with an auto trans?

I have owned several E30s and have a chance to pick up a very clean 325is with an auto.

Not sure if a swap is something I really want to put the time into but I dont know what to expect when it comes to the auto.

Can they handle any power at all?
    90 325i TrackRat uncaged

89 ZinnoRed Riot 325is

13 Cognito PPEI Duramax

I think it's a totally different experience than that of a 5sp car. I cruised an auto iX for a while, and it was a pleasurable experience if you set your expectations appropriately.

Regarding handling the power, the 4hp22 does that part of it fine- Land Rover used it behind 3.9/4L V8s for a decent chunk of time.

On a different note, if you have the opportunity to find a clean E30 at a decent price these days, I no longer think that we can afford to be picky about what trans is in it. If the price is fair and the car isn't a rusty shitbox, I'd say go for it and deal with the 5sp swap on a weekend whenever you get sick of the auto.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I think autos are just for convertibles, or basically anything without semi-serious performance intent, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, they seem reasonably stout, and most E30 units should do 250lbft without much trouble, although other than stock converter choice may be an issue.

Comment

I have an auto tranny in my 325i convertible. Every time I gas it to activate the kick down, I get a huge smile on my face. My left foot doesn't have to do anything and my right hand is free to hold my coffee. I cruise at 80mph on the toll roads easily.

Comment

it isnt as bad as claimed
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

It’s bad. I manual swapped an automatic car once and drove it before and after, big difference. Tuned a turbo 325 with an automatic, doesn’t like to rev out even at WOT and it smoked a couple of transmissions on less than 1bar of boost , awful

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              it isnt as bad as claimed
              x2

Would I want it forever to be an auto, not really unless I was dealing with a lot of stop and go traffic and planned to just cruise.

If its temporary, just enjoy it for what it is. Do the city driving in 3/S and move it into D once you hit the freeway. This locks out the overdrive 4th gear and keeps it more lively in the city.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Auto's are fine depending on what you're looking for. For a daily in a heavy traffic city or a cruiser, an auto is great (my daily in San Francisco is a 325i auto). If you're looking for a canyon carver, auto-x, or higher powered m20, I'd prefer a manual.

There's nothing inherently dodgy about an auto, unless you rev is in park/neutral for a long time, then you can cause a clutch failure. (Only reverse will work)

If you have the option to get a clean auto, get it. It's not that hard to swap it to a manual if you eventually want to.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

x2

Would I want it forever to be an auto, not really unless I was dealing with a lot of stop and go traffic and planned to just cruise.

If its temporary, just enjoy it for what it is. Do the city driving in 3/S and move it into D once you hit the freeway. This locks out the overdrive 4th gear and keeps it more lively in the city.
                  I still maintain that a manual is better in heavy traffic. Once you move just select the correct gear that allows you to drive without touching a pedal. Yes, you end up leaving a gap, but that only helps to allow people to move over, and the motorists behind you will eventually get that they are moving at a constant speed rather than doing that silly stop and go thing. Ultimately, we are all moving in the same direction, and all the better to go at a steady pace rather than waste all that energy stopping/starting.

Comment

yeah, that doesn't work around here....

It's a great idea, and it's what I do when towing,
                    but, well,

the assholes can't handle it.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Drive it auto it will break sooner than you think especially if u floor it most of the time and don't wait for the morning warm ups.
                      I failed 3 used units in less that 6 years till i gave up with autos.

Comment

seriously? I don't love automatics, but I beat the hell out of mine, actively trying to kill it - never had a single problem. You had to have gone beyond normal use, there's no way a stock powered E30 could break the transmission, AT or MT.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I stretched the cable in my touring after a day at the track. Yanked it and went manual. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
                            90 325i TrackRat uncaged

89 ZinnoRed Riot 325is

13 Cognito PPEI Duramax

Comment

Working...
                            X