No announcement yet.

New booster option for e30 - Bosch iBooster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first symptom, like nando says, is going to be brake fluid boiling and complete loss of braking force. Every time I get stressed out from the clearances on these projects that are cobbled together I go back and look at the engine bays where the components came from. Look at the engine bay from wherever your V8 swap came from... if the distance is similar, you'll be fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	It44K0l.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	9976592

Comment

That is a very good point. And now that I think about it my master cylinder on my manual brake setup was even closer to the exhaust than this will be. I can upload some photos later of how I mounted mine and clearances. I still think I am going to make some sort of heat shield but I’ll see what you guys think.

Comment

a shield is all you need to stop the radiation "line of sight". DEI sell some self adhesive barrier that performs the same function to reflect the heat
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thought id share that the "remote reservoir adapter" from the Honda CRV with the ibooster fits on the tesla MC. It is also reversible, so the inlet can point in either direction. It helps me a bunch and Im sure it could be useful in other swaps.

Name:	51024343221_c69c93e26b_b.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9978024

Comment

Originally posted by iman53 View Post
            Thought id share that the "remote reservoir adapter" from the Honda CRV with the ibooster fits on the tesla MC. It is also reversible, so the inlet can point in either direction. It helps me a bunch and Im sure it could be useful in other swaps.

Name:	51024343221_c69c93e26b_b.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9978024
            sweet!

Comment

Here's the right-hand-drive master with some adapters that I believe will work. I haven't had the e30 lines connected, but I believe I have the fittings correct on either end.

Name:	File_000 (2).jpeg
Views:	1304
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	9978290

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	9978289

Comment

Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
                Here's the right-hand-drive master with some adapters that I believe will work. I haven't had the e30 lines connected, but I believe I have the fittings correct on either end.
                Looks pretty slick, happen to know if LHD wiring would fit the RHD set up? I've been asking around on ebay to source the wiring harness for the brake is pretty much impossible... I guess I can keep trying to get a RHD one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bored View Post

Looks pretty slick, happen to know if LHD wiring would fit the RHD set up? I've been asking around on ebay to source the wiring harness for the brake is pretty much impossible... I guess I can keep trying to get a RHD one.
                  I believe the booster unit is the same, so wiring would be the same. The only difference is the master cylinder. I think you’re better off calling auto recyclers off car-part if you want to buy an oem harness. But If you can just buy the kit and make the harness yourself it’s probably worth it. That’s what I am going to do

Comment

yeah, the wiring is identical. Really, even the MCs are the same - they just drill/tap one side or the other depending on LHD or RHD. It's too bad there's no "realoem" for Tesla, because finding the RHD masters is basically impossible (or extremely expensive).

I watched for months before picking up an LHD setup with the pigtail harness. Partially because it was cheap, and partially because it had the harness. RHD ones were 5x as expensive or worse, looked like they were dredged from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, and none of them came with pigtails..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I can confirm that the only RHD piece I picked up was the master. The booster came from California.

The only wiring on the master is the fluid level switch, which just clips to the tank.

Reminder for anyone who is waiting for one with pigtails: call a yard that dismantles Teslas... when I did this they were happy to cut the wires on one when they took the booster out. The plugs are just scrapped.

Comment

I made my own harness which looks pretty nice and wasn't at all difficult. the kit is pretty affordable, this is the one I used:

Anybody can do it if you have the crimpers and if you don't they aren't that expensive either. it looks better than a bunch of crimp connectors IMO. However, using a cut plug is undoubtedly cheaper.

Name:	51036635566_1e5d4edf0c_b.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	9978471Click image for larger version

Name:	51036635636_17be6fb932_b.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	9978472

Comment

Originally posted by iman53 View Post
                          I made my own harness which looks pretty nice and wasn't at all difficult. the kit is pretty affordable, this is the one I used:

Anybody can do it if you have the crimpers and if you don't they aren't that expensive either. it looks better than a bunch of crimp connectors IMO. However, using a cut plug is undoubtedly cheaper.
                          I mean if you're offering a service since you have the know how and materials, it would save me the issue of dealing with scrap yards... Of course, nothing is free!

Comment

Any progress anywhere on being able to tune the boost through the CAN interface?

Comment

Has anyone figured out if this setup works with an ls swap? I rolled the dice on a crv booster. Hopefully it works out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_penner View Post
                                Has anyone figured out if this setup works with an ls swap? I rolled the dice on a crv booster. Hopefully it works out!
                                it’s not bolt in like on an I6 car, at least my car wasn’t. Modification was necessary, but yes it will work.

Comment

Working...
                                X