Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite surprised by the results of the silver 318is auction. Over $10,000 for a 150,000mi sunroof 318is with bodywork and outstanding issues.

(edit)
    $14,000 and reserve not met. lol!
    Last edited by varg; 12-04-2017, 03:05 PM.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Can't believe reserve wasn't hit at 14k on 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
        Can't believe reserve wasn't hit at 14k on 318is
        because Baby M3
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'd understand that high reserve if it were a nice slicktop but this is just a regular 318is with some work put into it to make it nice. When you're trying to fetch collector money you better have a collector's car.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 3-17

Comment

He spent too much on the "restoration" and was trying to make it back.

Sorry, despite being a one year only car model, it's nothing spectacular.

#IDontBuyThe318isHypeTrain
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

^i too was very surprised by how much was bet on that 318is with "150,000mi sunroof 318is with bodywork and outstanding issues" and even more so that 14k didn't meet reserve. I feel like in the last year we have seen a pretty large price jump in non M3 e30s

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Question is is this the new norm or outliers?

Comment

If outliers become more common a new norm can be formed. At best it's a bubble, at worst it's a new norm forming; the E30 shifting from an enthusiast and driver's car to a collector's eye candy and garage ornament. Either way it's a sign that I need to paint my car and replace the bumpers. If something happens to it all of these auctions aren't going to help me with the insurance man if the car still looks like chalkboard from the beltline up and it looks like I'm now priced out of E30s if I were to need a replacement.
                  Last edited by varg; 12-04-2017, 05:04 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Reminds me a bit of how the 356s took off. One year you could buy a nice example for $25,000 and a few years later that same car was $50,000 or more. Now, 356 verts are off the charts. Also, in some respects, the 356 and e30 are very similar. 356s and e30s both iconic but underpowered with the bare essentials inside. Both true driver’s cars, real cockpits and true road attachment. I know, I know the 356 is a Porsche but when they were new they only cost $2000 - $4000. I would suggest that is close to the 1980/90s e30 price.

Comment

Looking at the price of these and the 944's. Both cars that were considered disposable, $500 cars you could thrash on the track a few years ago. Now, both are seeing low mileage, clean examples selling for good money.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        He spent too much on the "restoration" and was trying to make it back.

Sorry, despite being a one year only car model, it's nothing spectacular.

#IDontBuyThe318isHypeTrain
                        this. easy as sin to replicate the light car experience, so what's the point of buying a high mileage sunroof 318is? still a great car tho.

I'll never sell my euro conversion vert but if I tried I'd never get what I put into it anyway.
                        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                          this. easy as sin to replicate the light car experience, so what's the point of buying a high mileage sunroof 318is? still a great car tho.
                          Buy an M10 318i, convert to disc brakes in the rear and big tubes up front, ditch the M10 for a street ported NA 13B. Light car experience and E30 experience in one shot potstir

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

That 88 535i sold for $50k! WOW.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

That car is exceptional, but wow, just wow.
                              Seller is very happy.
                              1991 318iC
                              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                Buy an M10 318i, convert to disc brakes in the rear and big tubes up front, ditch the M10 for a street ported NA 13B. Light car experience and E30 experience in one shot potstir

Exactly, the late model chassis in any form had a few hundred pounds (at minimum) up on the early chassis..

13B would be interesting, raced a first gen RX7 that I swapped to a 13B after the 12A blew out all the seals during a race. Probably one of the most confident inspiring cars I've ever driven..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X