Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking about if I were to sell an e30, but it’d be a flip. I don’t need a 4th e30 in my driveway again.
    I wasn’t trying to say anything bad about the e28, just saying it’s possible it was bid up with non-serious buyers- that used to happen on eBay. In an auction, it’s whatever a buyer is willing to pay. I was shocked at that ending price and so was everyone watching that auction. Hey, who knows maybe someone will pay 50k for a pristine e30 non-M.

Comment

Originally posted by SlickAlpinweiss View Post
      I’m for being straight forward and honest, would state in the ad that it’s only in been in possesion for x amount of time and being resold. The fact that it’s being flipped, I’m curious how damaging that can be. Of course it would have a thorough inspection and anything needing immediate attention would be replaced. I believe a stock, unmolested example would be more sought after.
      Some cars on there though, can’t believe they sold for so much. The bronzit e28, as clean as it was 50k makes me wonder if it was a legitimate auction.
      I see two major problems and one minor one with your plan.

First and obvious is the shipping cost. Really it’s not just the cost, but the hassle of shipping by sea. A lot of people fear the unknown and this is something that would make people shy away from your auction. The best you could hope for is to find 2 locals that really want this car. An unlikely proposition as you stated already.

Second, would be incredibly reluctant to buy a car that has spent its life in the salt air. No matter how well it was cared for, no matter if it was washed every day or if it’s previous owner gave the car’s tailpipe twist action and ballsack tickle before it was put to bed at night, all I am going to be thinking is that sooner or later it’s going to start rusting from the inside out. Justified or not, this is the reason I would not even consider this car unless it was stupid dirt cheap. As I write this, my wife and I are on vacation in Maui. I can’t even begin to count the 1990’s and older rust buckets I’ve seen this week. At least cars from the northeast and mid west can be stored in the winter. You can’t hide from salt air.

The minor thing is probably there will be some buyers who will be put off by the fact you only intend to flip the car. Could effect the value, but I think this is the least of your worries.

Not to say that if you buy it cheap enough you wouldn’t be able to make money on it. I’m sure you can. I do not think you can sell it to someone in the mainland for anywhere close to top dollar, however.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Agreed, that’s exactly the sort of feedback I needed/expected to hear. Every car here will be affected by the salt air, nothing we can do about it.

Comment

Several years ago, there was a guy from the islands trying to sell his drakkar yellow e30m3. It had lots of rust in oddball places like the A and C pillars, etc. I pointed out this same issue and he got so pissed off at me. Oh well.....
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
            I can't wait to see what this white s50 car brings. Looks like a sleeper at stock ride height with sealed beams.
            It looks like a nice car on the outside but the red seats and door cards look hideous among the carpet and black plastic. What on earth would posses someone to screw up a handsome black and grey interior with that?

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              It looks like a nice car on the outside but the red seats and door cards look hideous among the carpet and black plastic. What on earth would posses someone to screw up a handsome black and grey interior with that?
              I agree. It looks like someone had good intentions but they don't match.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

That's what I have been saying. It looks so out of place but since Cardinal is all the rage now (most people got rid of it back in the day) we are starting to see cobbled together interiors. Hell there was even a car with recovered red VINYL seats on BAT and people were going nuts while I was here gagging. IIRC, everything was black/gray carpet except for the seats which were said to be cardinal leather.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  That's what I have been saying. It looks so out of place but since Cardinal is all the rage now (most people got rid of it back in the day) we are starting to see cobbled together interiors. Hell there was even a car with recovered red VINYL seats on BAT and people were going nuts while I was here gagging. IIRC, everything was black/gray carpet except for the seats which were said to be cardinal leather.
                  Yeah, that was the swapped mtech 1 car that sold recently. Nice car, but I'm with you, I'd rather see a matching interior.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

What causes rust? That m3 on the sunroof....wouldn't the moisture just slide off?

Comment

Trapped moisture getting under the paint eating away at the metal. A small spot like that should be addressed immediately. The longer you wait the more damage you will have to repair later.

Oxygen and water on bare metal causes the oxygen to react with the Iron metal forming an oxide which over time will deteriorate the metal.
                      Last edited by reelizmpro; 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        That mtech 1 s52 car had it. Fucking yuck, it looked terrible.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Not an E30, but I absolutely love these cars.

Bid for the chance to own a 13K-Mile 2011 BMW 1M at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,063.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                            What causes rust? That m3 on the sunroof....wouldn't the moisture just slide off?
                            It is indeed trapped moisture, but to those that have changed a rusty sunroof panel, the problem isn't the paint. It's the relatively poor design of the metal structure under the body panel that traps the water.

The metal actually trusts through from the inside.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              It is indeed trapped moisture, but to those that have changed a rusty sunroof panel, the problem isn't the paint. It's the relatively poor design of the metal structure under the body panel that traps the water.

The metal actually trusts through from the inside.
                              That and the e30 came with those silly plastic wind deflectors that trapped moisture too. Every Car I took that thing off had a rust spot under it.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

While the regular e30 has a cult following, it has always been overshadowed by the M3 and values reflect that. Prices will never reach M3 territory but it is nice to see them slowly creep up.
                                My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
                                http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Working...
                                X