Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • econti
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    I've never heard anything good about modern Land Rovers, and everyone I know who owns one has more than one. Strange.
    Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

    Got 280,000 out of the family Discovery 4 (Not a LR4 in the rest of the world don't misgender it) before it was written off. Loved that thing. They can be diabolically unreliable but its worth it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern
    I'd throw it on the car and tape a sharpie to a jackstand as a half-assed dial indicator. For small bends I've been able to straighten wheels with a deadblow for really soft wheels, or a mini sledge and a block of wood.
    Actually that's a pretty good idea. Think that's a good place to start just to save the set, at least. Hell, I'll even do that with the current wheels on my car.

    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    If you can find another set for 200, I would do that, and inspect them thoroughly before buying.

    Having cheap wheels unbent is wasted money IMO.... the math doesn't add up. Unless your wheels would be worth what you paid + cost of repair when you sell, then no, I think they're junk.
    Looking at new wheels, they're like 200 each for something I like...and that's not in the budget. So for me to get the correct size, guess I'm going to be picky with used wheels, now that I know what to look for.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheRob
    replied
    I have to say, Land Rovers have the best seating position by far of any off road oriented vehicle I've driven. High enough and upright that you can see out over the hood, not like my old 3rd gen 4runner that gave me lower back pain. Or like my Cherokee which has minimul adjustability, it's better than the 4runner but in no way close to Disco or LR4. It also has the ride quality of a buckboard.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    I'll fully admit I don't see the appeal in off-roading at all so stuff like that goes over my head. Living in Florida my whole life is probably the reason behind that. I had a 4WD pickup in high school and all there is in the entire south of the state is sand (sucks) some mild woods trails (yawn) and mud (nah I don't feel like dealing with that BS).
    Here I can't really drive any car I care about from Dec-April or it'll take a shit kicking from rust and the mystery damage that seems to only happen in the winter.
    Good AWD and ground clearance makes life easy, and offroading is mostly season agnostic (besides heavy rain). Lots of crown land around here with trails through the woods.
    Fairly accessible/cheap to do if you can resist the urge to modify things.

    Having a kid also changed things. Want to bring them with me, and can't bring them in the car for autox/lapping, but I can easily bring them along on a trail with all required accoutrements.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    I had a similar situation. I had a bent wheel to replace, bought a set of four, two obviously bent, two unbent, only to bring them home to discover that the other two wheels also had small bends. If you can find another set for 200, I would do that, and inspect them thoroughly before buying. I'm guessing you bought from a private party. Might be worth buying from a place with a return policy even if there's a premium.

    Having cheap wheels unbent is wasted money IMO. Granted, I'm a bit sour on the idea since I got ripped off. Nevertheless, the math doesn't add up. Unless your wheels would be worth what you paid + cost of repair when you sell, then no, I think they're junk.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I've been burned with used wheels as well... I'd throw it on the car and tape a sharpie to a jackstand as a half-assed dial indicator. For small bends I've been able to straighten wheels with a deadblow for really soft wheels, or a mini sledge and a block of wood. Mostly for inner lip bends from potholes.

    For bigger stuff (like if the whole wheel is bent and you're not worried about cracking it), maybe try to bring the wheel (if they'll let you?) and a sledge into a junkyard and bolt it to an unsuspecting car to beat it somewhat straight...

    Leave a comment:


  • Chilezen
    replied
    Can you guys help me figure out what to do with these wheels? It's mainly an issue of money.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260902_235812282.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	10166344

    I discovered all four wheels on my E46 are bent on the inside of the rims. So I looked around locally and bought these for $200 (total), only to find out three of them are also bent. And, I'm dumb, I bought wheels an inch wider than my current ones, so the tires aren't going to fit as well (they'll fit but I don't like the stretched look).

    Local shops will charge $140 per wheel to straighten. So I pay $420 to straighten wheels that I don't have tires for, or I spend several hundred dollars on other used wheels that will probably also be bent.
    I like the style of these wheels and if I had the money to fix them and to buy tires, I would.

    The E46 is a boring, comfortable daily, so I'm not looking for anything fancy or light. Should I spend money on inexpensive new wheels, or take another chance with used? And I don't want the bent set sitting around, so are they worth fixing, or sell 'em, or trash?

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    I'll fully admit I don't see the appeal in off-roading at all so stuff like that goes over my head. Living in Florida my whole life is probably the reason behind that. I had a 4WD pickup in high school and all there is in the entire south of the state is sand (sucks) some mild woods trails (yawn) and mud (nah I don't feel like dealing with that BS).

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    With all that being said

    I want a 2012 HSE BADLY

    It's one of the nicest SUVs ever made IMO

    but

    u kno

    Its like a dating hot chick w huge tits- she's gonna like slash your tires and you'll be a victim of domestic violence

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I kind of disagree with that. Not much is as capable out of the box as an LR4. Maybe Wrangler/Bronco/whatever you can still get that has solid axles/lockers/really good flex, and all of those come with massive on-road compromises or worse (ie. Jeep, Ford)

    I also care less and less about what the internet considers reliable. Like we all (or mostly) own E30s and other BMWs instead of corollas or civics because we understand the tradeoff is worth it, they're not as unreliable as the internet believes, and parts aren't bad unless you buy through the dealer. I feel the same way with the LR4 over like a 4runner or sequoia. Like I'll more than happily deal with the 300k km issues that crop up, replace a suspension arm every year, troubleshoot/fix air suspension, or do timing chains in exchange for how awesome I think this thing is.

    The D2s I'll concede on - the rear frame rust and all the V8 issues are irredeemable flaws, but at least they look cool.
    Can't say that about a Maserati now can you? Those take a special breed to appreciate, and while my eyesight isn't great, it's better than that.
    Last edited by Northern; 09-03-2026, 09:05 AM. Reason: true truths and facts about maseratis

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Land Rover owners are the same as Jaguar and Maserati owners. There are so many better options that out there that 1) are just as capable 2) more reliable 3) cheaper to fix

    The only explanation why people buy these cars is masochism. (Can't believe this is the 2nd time I used that word in the forum in the last month... I should log off here for a little while... but I keep coming back)

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    I've never heard anything good about modern Land Rovers, and everyone I know who owns one has more than one. Strange.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn

    but how many are red? ZERO
    interesting comment

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Sweet baby jesus-3 rovers and a mini is diabolical

    u need therapy bro

    take simon w u 2
    but how many are red? ZERO

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Sweet baby jesus-3 rovers and a mini is diabolical

    u need therapy bro

    take simon w u 2

    Leave a comment:

Working...