Name:	8lkm4l.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	10117744

Leave a comment:

• khiobrien2
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    So I had an A3 come in that was basically about to catch on fire.. It was smoking from under the intake and starting to overheat while running.

Audi/VW new thermostat tech uses a gear driven system to flow water, opposed to the standard thermo spring style that works lol.

So what we're seeing happen is the water starts to leak into the sealed off section where the control board resides and controls the servo motor. When the water enters there it shorts it out and keeps the gear closed and starts to generate tons of heat. By the time I got the intake off the therm was 300 degrees LOL

Untitled by Omar Mountain, on Flickr

I am not even surprised.. modern VAG products are questionable at best. My mom had an new RS7 that she got rid of after 6 months because it had to be sent in for random electrical issues seven times in the first five months.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Audi/VW new thermostat tech uses a gear driven system to flow water, opposed to the standard thermo spring style that works lol.
    Buncha VAGs over there...

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Seems like an aftermarket opportunity to retrofit functional thermostats.

I have yet to see a single component design on any VAG product where I thought "nice," or "clever," or "well thought out." Generally it's only WTF were they thinking.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    So I had an A3 come in that was basically about to catch on fire.. It was smoking from under the intake and starting to overheat while running.

So what we're seeing happen is the water starts to leak into the sealed off section where the control board resides and controls the servo motor. When the water enters there it shorts it out and keeps the gear closed and starts to generate tons of heat. By the time I got the intake off the therm was 300 degrees LOL

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I don't like electric cars, but whether I'd entertain owning one varies.

I think with manufacturers other than tesla producing electric cars now, it's possible to get one that isn't a shitbox with a huge price tag, but nobody can do the range that tesla can, probably for the same reason.

Maybe a small/cheap/electric shitbox makes sense for commuting if the range works, but only if it directly replaces another vehicle.
    For me, that means the mini or the e30, which isn't happening.

I'd only be interested in some sort of massive cushy family SUV thing, but the range/$/vehicle doesn't exist.
    PHEVs are kind of cool if you buy new, but hard to predict reliability/life expectancy, and new interest rates aren't what they used to be.

Used car values seem to be starting to soften, which hopefully dominoes into the new car market as well.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

Honestly, if you want a commuter to save money with.. Get a 2006 Jetta TDI... Park it on the street, go to WaWa and get super tech gallons of oil for 4 dollars and put 500k miles on it.

I'm not about all the tech, I can drive my own car and put a Bluetooth head unit in and save myself 35k..

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Def makes sense to get as a throw away commuter for some, but I can see why not being able to charge at home kinda ruins it all...

My neighbor bought a model 3 in 2020 and now has a little one on the way, so he inquired about trading his 3 in for Y and Tesla offered 15k for a car with 35k on the clock LOL

They sell for WAY more than that on the used market, but I think it's hilarious that Tesla lowballed that hard.

Honestly, if you want a commuter to save money with.. Get a 2003 camry... Park it on the street, go to walmart and get super tech gallons of oil for 4 dollars and put 500k miles on it.

I'm not about all the tech, I can drive my own car and put a Bluetooth head unit in and save myself 35k..

Honestly, buying anything new for a commuter IMO is just stupid.. Spend money on something you'll actually enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied
    Honestly, I like the idea of EVs. I've driven several Tesla Model 3 and Polestar 2 rentals. I've also driven the rest of the standard rental fleet (Turbo4 Mustang and Camaro, C300, various Volvos, Toyota, Chevy, Kia, Honda, Subaru). The EVs were on par with the rest, maybe even had some better tech for long highway drives. My only gripe is with the charging network. I really like Tesla fast chargers, I get really annoyed at slow non-tesla Level 3 chargers. It's also annoying that I'm limited to Tesla or Everything Else for charging.

I don't drive that often, but I could see getting an EV for daily driving or road trips so the e30 is saved for fun stuff. The only issue for me is that I live in a city and my single car garage is reserved for the e30 or car work, so I wouldn't be able to charge at home and I don't like the idea of having to take the car to get charged (even though its about the same time as stopping for gas).

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 808ETA View Post

This part made me laugh.........“My husband and I actually fight over who’s going to drive the EV to work,”
    My WIFE* and I actually fight over who's going to drive the EV to work,"

Leave a comment:

• 808ETA
    replied
    This part made me laugh.........“My husband and I actually fight over who’s going to drive the EV to work,”

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    My main issue with "electrify everything" is that it just is not practical from a physical point of view. Bar an immense breakthrough in battery technology (which is perpetually 5-10 years away), batteries will always have laughable energy density in volume and mass. Batteries which approach the energy density of gasoline, will be by the very nature of how batteries work, quite dangerous. We know how volatile Li-poly (basically high current Li-ion) batteries are, you bend one in an RC airplane crash or puncture it and it burns. Chuck it into water as it burns and it keeps burning under water. Imagine if that same battery had 1/4 the energy density of gasoline instead of 1/44th of it. It's a higher potential reaction, which will be more volatile. Ultra batteries aren't going to be like C4; incredibly energetic but so stable it's nearly impossible to trigger the reaction accidentally. EV proponents at least have some misguided sense though. Maybe it's just because I am an engineer in the aerospace industry and a once-pilot, but I find electric airplane proponents to be basically morons. My electric RC airplanes are great, less mess, more convenient, good performance though limited flight time vs gasoline or glow fuel. But the square cube law applies, and real airplanes are not models. Aircraft benefit greatly from the fact that they become lighter as they operate, having a MTOW that is higher than your MLW is great for designing structures and landing gear that don't have to tolerate the same severity of landing forces at MTOW because they will not be regularly operated there. They say a tesla motors Model 3 gets 4.17mi/kWh or 142MPGe, so call that 5.5x as efficient as a 26mpg 2.0T Accord (comparable car). It's 5.5x more efficient but gasoline has 5.86kWh/lb and the battery is 0.134kWh/lb. so even though you have 5.5x the efficiency you have 0.02x the energy density in your "fuel". Quick and dirty thing to do here but think about how these numbers might work for airplanes. Your engine might be lighter (the motor, its gearbox, its speed controller/inverter) but if your efficiency is 5.5x higher and your fuel is 1/44th as dense you get 0.125x the distance per pound. So now to approach the same range with the same weight you need a battery that has 1/8th the energy density of gasoline, not 1/44th. And your airplane still isn't going to get any lighter before you land. And that's reciprocating vs electric, not gas turbine vs electric. Gas turbine engines have better specific output than electric motors.

I was never a bully, I was on the receiving end of it, but this guy makes me see where the bully was coming from. I want to tell him "shut up, nerd". Not just a lame opinion, but written in a smug and irritating tone. You can tell this guy is one of the ivory towers types.

Originally posted by econti View Post
    Must be nice. Here in Sydney the median price is now over 1.6mil, which is a shade over a million US. I moved back here to go to university, and will likely only be here for my degree.
    Major cities are kinda cheating if you're on a whinge about the housing market like I am. They're always ridiculously expensive, bar a sluggish economy.​

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    You never see someone with a 10 year old iPhone... its just a consumable appliance....

You right, boys.. I shouldn't be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.. That guy seems like a huge feg

I mean, the provocative abstract is def intentional but still

har har har

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    It's especially great here because we're supposedly transitioning to all electric cars in the 2030s. So much better to power that car with nice clean electricity.

It's hilarious.
    Also the whole ecological return timeline for EV production + use seems longer than most people give it credit for, and the vehicle life span certainly seems to be shorter.
    Actually, I've heard the EV frenzy is dying down a bit. Sales seem to be down, and I believe Mercedes has backed off of its original target deadline to drop ICE engines. Harry's Garage did a video about it recently. I'm still convinced this is just a passing phase. Toyota doesn't seem to be convinced that EVs are the end all be all solution either.

As for EV vehicle life span, I can't imagine it's very good. They're electrically very complex, and they have very expensive batteries that have a limited life span. I also haven't heard great things about Tesla build quality, and cars are getting cheaper and more plastic as time goes on. Will anyone want to foot the bill to recondition a 15 year old Tesla? Will it even be worthwhile, or will it be completely obsolete? I wouldn't be surprised if the average lifespan of a Tesla was as little as 10 years.

This guy seems like a huge... ehh- I cant say it on R3v
    Damn, has R3V gotten that soft?​

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

This guy seems like a huge... ehh- I cant say it on R3v
    Yes you can... dont be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles

Leave a comment:

Working...
X