Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern
    E30 hasn't been on the road since 2021 between new job/travel/garage build/kid, and now it's just a low priority, but part of why I want to sell the mini is because I think it is taking time away from the E30.
    About to put you in timeout for this...

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Easy. WHY THE EFF do you have THREE Rovers!?... whats wrong with you
    Great question. Would require therapy to get to the bottom of that lol.

    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Keep the LR4, a car that can expose family to a fun life and isnt a complete POS... keep it. Get it rust-proofed. Funds for the love can come from the proceeds of selling the D2's... Why man why ... lol
    I think the 4 is genuinely too far gone to keep long term. Looks good topside and the mechanicals are good, but underneath, the rear floor/wheel wells/rockers maybe have another 10 years in them if I regularly undercoat it and give it a few patches every two years to get through inspection.
    As bad as that sounds, I struggle to commit to mods so having one that is "less clean" makes it easier to modify.
    I would probably replace with another one and keep mechanicals from this for spares when the time comes.

    The two D2s are unnecessary. I'm hoping to drill out the broken head bolt in the 2002, slap it back together and sell as running/driving. It has some nice factory extras (brush bar, ladder, light covers) but could be cleaned up a lot.
    The other one I'd like to keep for a year, see how I like it, then either sell it or the Mini.
    Always liked them, always wanted one, was just scared of them being old or unreliable.

    Originally posted by 2mAn
    The Mini is an interesting choice to sell or keep... Does the Wife actually drive it? Would you choose to take that out over the E30, ever? If BOTH are yes, then keep it. Otherwise if Wifey only drives it when shes solo... is it more or less than you drive the E30? That would be my case for keep or sell.
    Mini is just the second car that runs at the moment. If I had another runner, I'd probably have sold it this year, but I'm taking forever to finish up the LR4 and the newer D2 is resisting.
    Needs some wheel bearings, strut mount, AC, exhaust leak, turbo(burning oil?), tune? and quiet the exhaust a bit with a resonator or something.
    Sucks to throw the second car seat in it because I end up loading my kid through the hatch and she calls it the puzza car and doesn't enjoy when I have to pick her up in it.
    Wife drives it occasionally, probably would more if the AC worked and the car was quieter.
    I don't really care for the car or community, but it's fun when behind the wheel.
    I don't drive it much - I walk to work or get dropped off, only drive this if I'm running errands or something alone.
    E30 hasn't been on the road since 2021 between new job/travel/garage build/kid, and now it's just a low priority, but part of why I want to sell the mini is because I think it is taking time away from the E30.


    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Also, anyone remember what day it was when JC would swap out R3vlimited for Roverlimited? ... the good ol days....
    I still have a screenshot of this page somewhere from forever ago.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Easy. WHY THE EFF do you have THREE Rovers!?... whats wrong with you

    Keep the LR4, a car that can expose family to a fun life and isnt a complete POS... keep it. Get it rust-proofed. Funds for the love can come from the proceeds of selling the D2's... Why man why ... lol

    The Mini is an interesting choice to sell or keep... Does the Wife actually drive it? Would you choose to take that out over the E30, ever? If BOTH are yes, then keep it. Otherwise if Wifey only drives it when shes solo... is it more or less than you drive the E30? That would be my case for keep or sell.

    Also, anyone remember what day it was when JC would swap out R3vlimited for Roverlimited? ... the good ol days....

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I missed some of this and want to talk about cars more...

    Originally posted by Chilezen
    If you lost all those cars in a fire, what would you miss most?
    This is blasphemy, but if I'm honest, probably my LR4/Discovery 4, followed by my E30.
    After that it gets very blurry...

    Originally posted by 2mAn
    We need a list of the cars along with a one-liner about why it SHOULD stay. Then we can tear it all apart.
    I kinda already did this, but In order of acquisition:

    E30 - my first car. Shares my birth date. Lots of history with it. Needs a bunch of body work and mechanical work that I'll someday get to.

    R56 Cooper S - Wife wanted one. Fun to drive, turbo, 6-speed, glorious shitbox. Built cheap. Parts are cheap but shit breaks all the time and it's never 100%.

    SPA XC90 - Daily/Wife car. Great seats/interior, decent fuel economy, safe as reasonably possible, reliable enough. Parts are expensive when they do break, electronics are locked down/cloud synced, coding apps are all subscription based.

    LR4 - I just needed one, not much more to it. Box on wheels with many visual cues back to the original discovery. The last LR that was body-on-frame, with the best riding air suspension I've ever experienced. Drives like a proper V8 SUV and not an oversized car like the Volvo. Offroad dreams, a car hobby I can more realistically do with the whole family. Almost as comfy as the Volvo but pre-screens/cloud sync bullshit/subscription based coding - I paid a one-time fee for a GAP tool and it can do all the factory service stuff/air suspension/coding/module updates. Community and aftermarket rivals that of the E30, and I can't say that about any other car I own. I'm fighting a maintenance deficit, but it has been cheap to repair so far, rust is my big concern. 10/10 would buy another (or an L322 FFRR) if I had more space.

    2002 D2 - dirt cheap "cracked block", turned out to be head gaskets being installed with RTV, but head bolt snapped on removal and became a pain (need to deal with this in some way)

    2003 D2 - In reasonably good shape, facelift, has a ton of aftermarket lights/roof rack/ladder/bumper/winch. Runs quite well, but was cheap because it boils coolant. No mix of oil/coolant or burning of either, just bubbles in cooling system. No heat in cabin. Tried bleeding a bunch of ways and no change. Coolant res cap was bad. Tstat and WP confirmed good. Going to vacuum fill, replace cap, and see how it goes (Fingers crossed it's a bleeding issue and not head gasket).

    I think I long-term have e30+LR4+1 wifemobile (XC90, maybe replace with a nicer LR4/L322 eventually). Keep the garage to 1 car at a time. Work on the e30 in the winter, work on the LR4 in the summer (but ideally minimally). I think this would lead to me having a 4th, but maybe only intermittently?

    Judge away lol.
    Last edited by Northern; 09-02-2026, 05:55 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver
    My charcoal cannister is hooked up like factory, the check valve to the intake works. Fuel milage seems low at 15mpg average, but the car is mostly driven around town and I have a habit of being WOT for the fun. Any idea what else to check?
    Hose to the intake from the purge valve is new/not cracked or split?
    Same story for for the other charcoal canister hoses?

    Could also be a liquid fuel leak that is evaporating, or perhaps a damaged purge valve or charcoal canister that is leaking.

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn

    Funny thing is I bought the E30 because the other car turned into such a project (and I still have yet to drive it more than a mile-at-a-time...)
    You're pretty far gone when an e30 is the reliable not-a-project-car for some other car.


    I drove mine last week. Weather said high of 82, which seemed fine without AC. Then got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway and saw the OBC get up to 115F, it was brutal. The worst part is I get intermittent strong raw fuel smells from the engine bay, which just got blown into my face with the fan blower on.

    I don't see any fuel leaks around the injectors, rail, fpr, lines, etc. Seems to only happen on really hot days. My charcoal cannister is hooked up like factory, the check valve to the intake works. Fuel milage seems low at 15mpg average, but the car is mostly driven around town and I have a habit of being WOT for the fun. Any idea what else to check?

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Yeah i'm over waiting for my car

    gonna put a rocker in this weekend and get it going while I wait to finish the other engine

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonWilson48

    Killing me that mine is just sitting there. Driving the element every day is draining my car guy soul.
    Funny thing is I bought the E30 because the other car turned into such a project (and I still have yet to drive it more than a mile-at-a-time...)

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Been driving the E30 to work since I dont have to pick up the kiddos after... this thing rules haha
    Killing me that mine is just sitting there. Driving the element every day is draining my car guy soul.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Been driving the E30 to work since I dont have to pick up the kiddos after... this thing rules haha

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    blankstyle.com has wholesale shirts for like 4-7 bucks a pop and they're actually nice quality. Nice enough to wear out and cheap enough to jump in a barrel of oil

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I also hate the biting variety of insects... we had a massive amount of blackflies this spring, allegedly a steady spring thaw caused them all to hatch at once instead of in waves... Then they die off by summer and the mosquitoes take over, and they absolutely love my blood.
    I buy the OFF "Deep Woods Sportsman" which is 30% DEET and seems to work well. Also have a thermacell for whatever that's worth but I haven't really used it yet.
    Even in my backyard at my house the mosquitoes get bad in the evening. If I do any work near the back fence in the evening, I get eaten alive.

    and don't get me started on Ticks...

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I have used some serious dickies pants and rotate the millions of t-shirts I have... I think you need to get one of those blue-light bug-zapping bug lights... I always get a chuckle when one gets roasted.

    I also have those tennis racket big zappers that you can get from Harbor Freight, but thats for keeping the inside of the house bug free

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    1) I need to move somewhere without mosquitoes. I can deal with heat and humidity, but having to douse myself in bug spray before I go out to work on my car is probably the most annoying thing. And even when I use bug spray, I still end up with a million bug bites.

    2) Also, I need to make another goodwill trip for crappy pants/tshirts/long sleeves. I'm destroying all my clothes. Anyone use coveralls? I want to start, but feel like I would need 5 pairs as I would be constantly sweating in them and wouldn't want to rewear any after one use.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn

    I only have 1 brother... you have more than one?
    ,brotha

    Leave a comment:

Working...