We just bumped up to a four car household.
1. Wife's car - 08 Highlander
2. My daily - 16 328 wagon
3. Project e30
4. Truck - 04 Ram 1500
Thought about getting rid of the truck when I got the wagon for a daily but it's paid off, probably worth $20 because of the rust, we have space next to the house for it to sit, and you never know when you may need a truck.
Nonsense Thread
Collapse
X
-
-
Makes sense, Aus is fucking massive haha. Basically like here but trade the snow for Emus, Kangaroos, and bin chickens.
Jokes aside, Sydney's transit is excellent. Better than anywhere in Canada by far. Tap on/tap off via phone for everything, ferries/trams and basically all walkable anyway. Prices are good, and I could stop by Stella's on the way to the Ferry every morning while I was there.Last edited by Northern; 08-13-2026, 09:34 AM.Leave a comment:
-
Typically here if someone has not much money they'll only have a fun car/bike and take public transport to work if possible, particularly if the fun car's broken. The next step is to have one daily that's typically a ute/SUV (think Hilux or Prado or old X5 etc) that'll tow said fun car to go to events and be comfy to drive. Three cars is fairly uncommon unless you're blessed with space to keep them and money. Or they're 3 very shit cars. It's also pretty common to borrow cars off your mates to tow yours to the track, or go on a camping trip with multiple people in one vehicle.
Granted we are a lot more car dependent in Aus than in Europe though, mostly given the distances we have to go to get places.👍 1Leave a comment:
-
Thats what I considered for a while... but I like having it as my fun car and having a different, more boring car to deal with the boring stuffLeave a comment:
-
I would say a 4 door e30 is perfect for an only car!
Small, reliable, large trunk, and 4 doors for more headachesLeave a comment:
-
I'd love to hear an opinion from someone outside of North America, where cars are generally less depended on. But if you think about it, anyone who doesn't depend on a variety of cars probably doesn't have an E30.Leave a comment:
-
Gonna go the other way here and say all you need are 2 cars. It’s gotta be the right wagon for a fun daily/utility vehicle and a (4 door) e30 for everything else.
I loved the e30 project car + 6 speed 2011 Subaru Outback daily/utility combo. The sub had hella space for my stuff inside + roof rack, decent mpg, could tow a trailer, good in the winter (heated seats and mirrors w), and the AWD/manual made it fun to drive despite being a bit heavier than an e30. Even made it out of some sketchy road conditions and overland situations with the stock ride height and all season tires.
The Subaru got demolished by an 18 year old driving his dad’s early release 3 series while I was in class, so it got replaced by a 3rd gen 4runner. Not quite as fast, fun, or fuel efficient, but damn the ground clearance and power rear hatch window are sweet.
With my current setup I understand wanting a third car, but would probably be perfect with 2 if I could get back in a manual Outback or other wagon with a bit more power.Leave a comment:
-
Agree with the two being the same vehicle. My Disco 4 is basically that. Has a kid seat, decent for highway miles, can carry a 4x8 sheet of whatever, can tow basically anything I want to tow, but I really bought it to offroad. Mods are leaning more into the off-road stuff, but hoping to not "ruin" it by doing so.
I'd argue 3 could be even more better-er-er.
Keep the list but take the [off roading adventure car] and [shit box turd truck to haul shit and parts] can be the same vehicle.
Unless you want an actual car to offroad, which don't get me wrong has appeal.
Or you know, that opens up for an actual track-only car, then you're back at 4.
The "going out" car is "The wife's" car really, and also the primary long distance + baby carrier being the newest/safest/comfiest/most fuel sipping.
Then my E30 and Mini overlap too much, but they're different enough.
Then I (now/allegedly) have two Disco 2s that both have engine troubles (as is tradition.)
Unless my wife is concerned, then it's only 1 Disco 2 and the engine is fine. If I can fix the engine, I'll almost certainly sell the mini.Last edited by Northern; 08-12-2026, 10:38 AM.Leave a comment:
-
yeah very easy to consolidate the offroad/turd truck into one offroading turd slave
3 is perfect for most people
If i didn't have all the extra space I would be on the e39, e30 and Ranger 3 car garage still.
That was perfect.
Ranger isn't 4x4 and I really did fall in love with the whole weekend out wheeling thing.
Really opened a lot of doors for activities and also kinda became the center for a lot of other activities I already enjoyed, like fishing, campin, shooting my gunnnnz, hiking ect ect.
Like wheeling to a creek and fly fishing in solitude is epicLeave a comment:
-
I agree, 3 is the ideal middleground. 4 is costly and really consumes space. But if it had to be 2...
Would the "going-out" car also be the fun car? Or the off-road car is also nice enough to go out?Leave a comment:
-
I'd argue 3 could be even more better-er-er.
Keep the list but take the [off roading adventure car] and [shit box turd truck to haul shit and parts] can be the same vehicle.
Unless you want an actual car to offroad, which don't get me wrong has appeal.
Or you know, that opens up for an actual track-only car, then you're back at 4.
👍 1Leave a comment:
-
4 is the perfect number
"going out car"
off roading adventure car
fun car for twisties
shit box turd truck to haul shit and partsLeave a comment:

Leave a comment: