• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Its quite surprising how much of a difference the tires can make
    I am crazy tho
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Vibration analysis requires some fairly cheap equipment and some basic knowledge, and it won't tell you much more than amplitude of the peaks and where they are. Torsional deflection analysis (which is relevant here) requires expensive equipment and more knowledge. It's not likely anyone who builds engines as a hobby is going to do that. FEM of the crank itself is also not easy and would be quite expensive because of the software requirements unless we find an engineering student or an engineer who can load the models up at work (I can't).
      By no means is it the complete story, but I think gathering the natural frequencies between the different crankshafts would be a reasonable starting point (and pretty low effort)
      If nothing came of it, it wouldn't be too big of a waste.
      Either way, it does seem to be the only one with an issue.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I think the popular theory is that the 3.2's second harmonic is just low enough that it becomes a problem.
        Easy enough to prove but I don't think anyone has done it.
        Metric Mechanic seems to build happy revving engines without a fuss. He is super detailed and thorough, so that helps. He will make a reliable beast out of an aluminum M52, he tells me. Built one for a competitive autocrosser, who won several things without issue. I don't remember much else (conversations were a few years ago), but I know he casts his own pistons with really short decks or whatever, to achieve the longest rod ratio he can. The crank is untouched and I think he uses the stock dampener.

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

D day is May 3rd.

I went with the ATi damper, well see how it goes.

I did forget to balance the clutch, but will take it apart after first dyno day to get it balanced. Ill be back the 11th with the ITB's and see what the gains are.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

sup
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Random, but I was searching for any build threads of race cars with roll cages. I'm about to build one, and there's sparse info/photos here for such a thing. The SpecE30 forum probably has a lot but I didn't feel like making an account just for that (because I kept finding "private" pages for members only). Is there a collection on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                Random, but I was searching for any build threads of race cars with roll cages. I'm about to build one, and there's sparse info/photos here for such a thing. The SpecE30 forum probably has a lot but I didn't feel like making an account just for that (because I kept finding "private" pages for members only). Is there a collection on here?
                I've probably built ~20-30 e30 cages? Whatcha need?
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I've probably built ~20-30 e30 cages? Whatcha need?
                  Lol I knew it'd be a good time to ask when I saw you. I'm building the kickers off boxes that encapsulate the shock towers, but I saw some people go to the trunk floor. One guy suggested going to the spring perch, but I'm like, you can't, and that would be way too severe of an angle to the main hoop. Where do you go?

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    I got 260 on the S50 with terrible cam timing.

It’s still S50 just now with 11.5 cp pistons and 140mm rods and room to set cams up to the cam card.

the sunbelt kits on stock s52 bottom ends I’ve herd will do 275. That’s what’s most the hot BMW CCA IP cars were running.

I think the ITB kit on a stock motor is worth close to 15-20 HP.
                    I installed a set on SB cams a couple moths ago in an e36 ST car. Power increased a max of 8whp, no matter where we moved them. Granted, its was a semi-tired s50b30 making 234 on a Mustang. Owner bought another "de-tuned" 380whp s54. It's getting out of hand in the racing circuit. Ever since Randy at EPIC did the v8 swap in the e46, racing rules are all over the place.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

ITBs on the S52 will have some nice gains

A stock long block with S54 headers and a tune will put you around 280whp
                      Q

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        sup
                        Sup. Glad to see you here!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          ITBs on the S52 will have some nice gains

A stock long block with S54 headers and a tune will put you around 280whp
                          I haven't seen anything that high on my local dyno. I built an "s52" (3.2l) with +.5mm 11:1 pistons, stock s50 cams, +1mm intake valves, s50 manifold, eBay SS clones, , a 3.2 put down 274whp for me. Client ended up blowing that one and we put a stock JY 3.2 in it's place and it dropped to 248whp. Most ST and ITS classed cars with stock s52's are putting down low/mid 250's (we are required to use Dynojet , STD correction, smoothing 5, 3 consecutive runs set to RPM mode).

EDIT: DERP, missed the ITB's. I saw a ~18whp increase with ITB's on a bone stock 200k mile m50. Haven't dyno'd ITB's on an s50/52.
                          Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-01-2022, 02:10 PM.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Sup. Glad to see you here!
                            Thx. Had to regroup, and forums/social media didn't fit in the agenda/schedule. Still have no desire to go back on social. Just a few forums.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post

Metric Mechanic seems to build happy revving engines without a fuss. He is super detailed and thorough, so that helps. He will make a reliable beast out of an aluminum M52, he tells me. Built one for a competitive autocrosser, who won several things without issue. I don't remember much else (conversations were a few years ago), but I know he casts his own pistons with really short decks or whatever, to achieve the longest rod ratio he can. The crank is untouched and I think he uses the stock dampener.
                              On the other hand, Terry Fair/Vorshlag's DSP E46 330i was a nightmare. They went through what, 3 engines before they called the abort?
                              Went for an extra 500 RPM and had oil pumps shearing off and other things, with an ATI damper and all.
                              I think the oil pump chain tensioner, new chain, and a tacked nut would do more for these engines than the ATI damper, and the cost of all of that is maybe $40.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

This guy was hitting 280 consistently! Honestly, that's a rad setup for the money
                                Q

Comment

Working...
                                X