Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 2mAn
    Señior Mod
    • Aug 2010
    • 20976

    #15316
    I resisted bidding on a 1984 Jetta GLI. It sold for $5100... I'm glad I was able to resist.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1966 Blue Boat
    -1969 Red VW
    -1986 White BMW
    -2006 Green Thing

    Make R3V Great Again -2020

    Comment

    • MrBurgundy
      R3V Degenerate
      • Mar 2012
      • 5597

      #15317
      theres a monster inside simon that needs a 250k mile VW in the driveway

      we all got our demons

      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

      Comment

      • Panici
        Moderator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2543

        #15318
        Originally posted by 2mAn
        I resisted bidding on a 1984 Jetta GLI. It sold for $5100... I'm glad I was able to resist.
        Looks interesting, I would be tempted too for that price!

        Comment

        • varg
          Florida Turbo Man
          • May 2014
          • 3423

          #15319
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy

          99 percent of people who hold a license don't even know what an oil pan is and that it used to be made from metal

          they want an egg shaped car with an ipad and 50 different "drivers aids"

          give them 6 different cameras, ipad, radar, auto high beam, wifi ect ect

          that shit costs money and they keep the cost of the car down by making the shit that keep it running out of plastic and ducktape
          I don't know man, half of that stuff, egg shape (aero and pedestrian crash standards) cameras, radar (auto braking), auto lights, is required by law and people probably wouldn't know any better if it didn't exist let alone want it. They probably want screens, maybe? But even normal people I've talked to about cars seem to agree that they look tacky and will not last.

          Originally posted by Northern
          100%. I remember Formula North 2017(?) where our paddock was next to uPitt. One of their former team (Not sure if they were a faculty advisor, judge, or what) was talking about their work at Ford, basically that they design different christmas tree clips, that the money wasn't spectacular, and most people were hesitant to get their P.Eng (or whatever it's called down there) because you ended up pencil whipping all the design work, and the bump in pay wasn't worth the liability of signing off on all kinds of shit you weren't involved in.

          I always thought automotive would drain me of my love of cars - hence the aviation trade, and again staying away from automotive after going back to school.
          Some regrets on the aviation thing due to pay/lack of viable career path, and exposure to carcinogens, but like most jobs, it is what it is.
          Engineering just isn't what it used to be, regardless of the field. I'm a desk jockey though, so no carcinogens here.

          Originally posted by Northern
          My province introduced new permit fees on hybrids and EVs: $250/2 years for Hybrids, $500/2 years for EVs.
          This sent the EV nerds off the deep end. The usual social media platforms are full torch-and-pitchfork over it.
          I'm surprised it took them that long to do that. I was just hoping the solution to EV adoption decreasing fuel tax revenue wouldn't be:
          • increase the fuel tax even more
          • put a tax on home power usage
          ​​
          Last edited by varg; 10-02-2026, 12:28 PM.

          IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

          Comment

          • Northern
            I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
            • Nov 2010
            • 5276

            #15320
            Someone must've thought about trying to tax EV electricity usage but saw that it would be too difficult/expensive to implement and would be unpopular with basically everyone. I'm more or less happy with that.

            Originally posted by varg
            Engineering just isn't what it used to be, regardless of the field. I'm a desk jockey though, so no carcinogens here.
            Agree, I don't feel like I do "real engineering" and no idea how someone came up with half the shit I work on, how they decided "yeah this is how we're doing this", or why it's my job to keep it alive.
            I spend 90% of time at my desk now, so the remaining 10% is at least weighted much less.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

            Comment

            • Chilezen
              I weld cats
              • Dec 2013
              • 1940

              #15321
              For multi quoting (on a desktop, idk about mobile) I press the quote button on the bottom right of the post, and then the next, etc. Yes the text box will only auto populate with one quote. The key step is to press the red "post reply" button on the top left, which should have a (2) or (3) or whatever. Press it and then the text box auto populates with all the quotes.

              I figured this out by accident and was also annoyed when I didn't know how.

              Originally posted by varg
              I avoided the automotive industry because I can't think of an engineering job more soul crushing than taking part in modern cars. I wasn't about to put up with working every day to make cars less interesting in the hope that I might be able to make it to a motorsport division or aftermarket performance company.
              I almost got sucked into the first part making boring stuff for other people, and I escaped by being so bad at that, that I now make motorsports stuff in the very small market of people willing to pay for nonsense. I'm good at nonsense. Trained all my life. I don't recommend it though. Stability and nonsense don't go hand in hand.

              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              they want an egg shaped car with an ipad and 50 different "drivers aids". give them 6 different cameras, ipad, radar, auto high beam, wifi ect ect
              I saw a post recently saying they don't want any fancy tech, they just want a horn with two options: "beep beep excuse me I'm here, pardon me", and, "BEEP THE F OUT OF MY WAY" which honestly is a pretty reasonable ask. But it's like asking social media to have a dislike button..

              Originally posted by 2mAn
              I resisted bidding on a 1984 Jetta GLI.
              You didn't get a fifth car? You would have had a spot open up once your wife left

              Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

              Comment

              Working...