No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varg is a Volvo transplant. He is impervious to forum roasts.
    ​​​​
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

I am nothing if not highly critical of the things I own or refuse to own. I definitely don't change my mind about operating systems lacking basic functionality that has been standard since the first cameraphones existed (directing saved pictures and camera pictures to separate folders), or common file type support (FLAC, which my ancient android supported in its stock media player app), or common file managment protocol (drag and drop it into the appropriate folder and you can view it on the device). It's almost as frustrating as the unrootable nature of my old S5. I don't see how those issues don't bother you guys, they're extremely basic common sense functionality. Wouldn't it bug you if your car didn't have reverse or windows that roll down?

I'm probably going to wind up having to jailbreak it just so I can have file access and replace the camera, charge notification and text send sounds with silent audio files. That's not going to stop bugging me. IOS13 is worse than windows 10
      I have no love for iOS, and when I was forced to use one for work it was unpleasant. But at least you didn't deny loving the M42.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I have no love for iOS, and when I was forced to use one for work it was unpleasant. But at least you didn't deny loving the M42.
        Its because a M42 is half of a M62 which we all know is better than an LSx
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Its because a M42 is half of a M62 which we all know is better than an LSx
          That must be it.

Comment

The only point I don't understand is the FLAC gripe. Yeah Apple is 100% garbage for not using FLAC and creating a slightly shittier proprietary ALAC, sure.
            And if this is just about the pain of having a library of preexisting FLAC files that you then have to go and convert to another format, then sure, I get it.

If this is about quality, I'm out of my element lol.
            In high school, my old RCA Lyra MP3 player had 64MB of memory and a 64MB SD card and to fit any real quantity of music on it, I had to compress it down to 64kbps.
            Modern ~320kbps MP3 is still a treat to me.

I could probably tell the difference vs a lossless format in a quiet setting with decent headphones/speakers, but 95% of my music listening is the opposite of that scenario: Through spotify (at only 96kbps?) on my phone over bluetooth in a car or walking (with <$100 bt headphones or wired earbuds).
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I don't even care about any of that shit

A phone to me is just a tool to text people and look at memes while I take extended shits at work.

I go with iphone, because no hoes want to bang dudes with green texts
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                I go with iphone, because no hoes want to bang dudes with green texts
                Damn.

Comment

I've never gotten trouble driving my E30, got a light flash when i crested a hill going 65 in a 35 and passed a cop.

in case whoever was talking about Z3m's is still looking.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                  Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                  E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                  "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    The only point I don't understand is the FLAC gripe. Yeah Apple is 100% garbage for not using FLAC and creating a slightly shittier proprietary ALAC, sure.
                    And if this is just about the pain of having a library of preexisting FLAC files that you then have to go and convert to another format, then sure, I get it.

If this is about quality, I'm out of my element lol.
                    In high school, my old RCA Lyra MP3 player had 64MB of memory and a 64MB SD card and to fit any real quantity of music on it, I had to compress it down to 64kbps.
                    Modern ~320kbps MP3 is still a treat to me.

I could probably tell the difference vs a lossless format in a quiet setting with decent headphones/speakers, but 95% of my music listening is the opposite of that scenario: Through spotify (at only 96kbps?) on my phone over bluetooth in a car or walking (with <$100 bt headphones or wired earbuds).
                    You answered your own question. FLAC is the industry standard lossless format and ALAC is a stupid cash grab, and about 1/4 of my library is in FLAC format because any time it is available I pick FLAC over other formats. I don’t want to have to convert tens of gigabytes of music to 320kbps MP3 to listen to it, it takes a long time.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

You answered your own question. FLAC is the industry standard lossless format and ALAC is a stupid cash grab, and about 1/4 of my library is in FLAC format because any time it is available I pick FLAC over other formats. I don’t want to have to convert tens of gigabytes of music to 320kbps MP3 to listen to it, it takes a long time.
                      can you even tell the difference between mp3 and flac?

Even when I'm DJing at big clubs i use 320 mp3

Doubt you can tell the difference unless you're using high quality headphones, typically for music producers or recording monitors. Even them, the deference isn't even close to being obvious to the untrained ear.
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

can you even tell the difference between mp3 and flac?

Even when I'm DJing at big clubs i use 320 mp3

Doubt you can tell the difference unless you're using high quality headphones, typically for music producers or recording monitors. Even them, the deference isn't even close to being obvious to the untrained ear.
                        Yes, I have very good headphones that I listen with at home. I choose FLAC because there's also noticeable difference between the average production VBR MP3 and FLAC. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a good 320kbps mp3 and FLAC even with my headphones, but I'll still take the FLAC if it's available. Storage space is stupid cheap, there's no reason to pick the compressed file.

But that's beside the point; it's a pain in my ass that I had to convert a quarter of my library to mp3 just because apple is obtuse and refuses to even allow compatibility FLAC. They want to use their own format for itunes? Fine. But why deliberately prevent FLAC compatibility? I can't even sync the FLACs to my phone and play them with a third party player app, it just doesn't recognize them as an allowable file type. In the end it doesn't matter that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my FLACs and the MP3s that I had to convert when I'm listening in my car or working out, it was an annoyance. And considering how much they sell these things for new, they should be natively compatible with industry standard file formats from the factory. Especially since an old Android phone is.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

soooo I just shipped out some basketweaves from work... I think the mailroom guy screwed up because its going to cost me $80/each to ship... that cant be right, can it? This is supposed to be a discounted UPS acct
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by skeval692
                            Howdy everyone!
                            Go find a nice bridge and jump, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Go find a nice bridge and jump, thanks.
                              Why a nice bridge? It only needs to be tall, and can otherwise be terrible.

Comment

fair point

Comment

Working...
                                X