N52 intake shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    A guy with the supercharged E46M3 came up to me in the paddock and wanted to know why he couldn't catch me, with his 400+whp and all....
    Haha that has to be a good feeling! 😀

Comment

A guy with the supercharged E46M3 came up to me in the paddock and wanted to know why he couldn't catch me, with his 400+whp and all....
      Nice!

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

any onboard video or street driving footage?
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
          any onboard video or street driving footage?
          Sure!

This is fastest lap. Not very exciting because there's no traffic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdsRHXirpPc

This one's a little more interesting because I'm drafting a GT3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCn687ZlEks

Overall, I'm just as fast as I was this time last year and I'll get faster in the next few months. The boosterless brakes are a huge change. They work great, but they feel 100% different especially compared to my X3 booster which was very sensitive and an "on-off" switch in comparison. The extra pedal throw triggers my "brake fade!" paranoia and I need to build trust that they work just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	10091004

Comment

A few more lapping events.

The Ridge. Running behind a 550+ hp Shelby GT350. He dusts me in the straights but I'm still behind him most of the lap.

2017 Shelby GT350 has 526hp but weighs 3700lbs. He loses me on the straights but braking and handling overcomes.

Pacific Raceways. Basically an open track with the Alfa Club. It was hot for Seattle, 85 degrees! so down on power but still a scant second off my personal best with the N54 manifold.

Open track, 1:38 at Pacific Raceways in E30. Can't blame traffic for anything here, the little bobble in Turn 9 cost me dearly.

I do miss the 700rpms on the top where this intake starts petering-out, but my overall laptimes are the same.
            Last edited by hoveringuy; 05-18-2023, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Good stuff!

Pretty awesome to see you keeping up with that Shelby and the GT3.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                Good stuff!

Pretty awesome to see you keeping up with that Shelby and the GT3.
                I hope that wasn't best effort for the GT3, even for an older one!

Comment

I hope that wasn't best effort for the GT3, even for an older one!

Probably not, but nevermind that...

Just let the E30 have the ego boost. It's 70-80% as good as a GT3 on track!

oh how I forget about the smilies here.

Comment

I think the 3 stage manifold made your car sound better than before.

Lots of things to like about the videos and the project overall. It's really cool to have some 'real world' comparisons between the two manifolds.

Looking forward to feeling more midrange torque and the overall improvement in drivability.

Comment

I ran the last event of the year today so I can render the final verdict on the manifold swap.

I was running consistent 1:37 laps today which was my "day's best" time last year. I was hitting 135 at the end of the straight, it was 132 or 133 last year. Maybe, maybe, maybe I'm giving up 500-1000 rpms at the very top that aren't in my effective power range anymore, but that's more than made up for by having more power down low for squirting out of corners.

N54 is the winner for simplicity of swap and for "big power" tracks with long straights and room to wind it out.
                      N52 is the winner for everything else. Street drivability is tops, stoplight to stoplight, highway passing in 6th gear, broad torque. Holds its own at the track.

N52 big downside is that it won't clear the stock booster, or any booster, and needs to have a Tesla booster or boosterless brakes (which I actually love).

Last edited by hoveringuy; 10-01-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X