No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The $500 compressor are typically rebuilt OE units which are still r12 units. I don't see the point when you can get one designed for r134 for a fraction of the price..assuming you can mount it. FYI virtually ALL e30 compressors came with seals that were r134 compatible. I have a service bulletin somewhere spelling them out and it's probably posted earlier in this thread. Point being the seals are not the main issue but rather the pressure rating. Beyond that you need a new expansion valve and should upgrade the hoses since they will leak more and more over time.

I'd jump the resistor and everything else is optional
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Regarding the LC Wylie bracket conversion, don't forget that you also have to modify the lines to/from the compressor.

I had Discount Auto AC in Daytona, FL, rebuild the compressor from my Touring. Great result. Great customer service. The cost was about $250, so if you have a rebuildable core and don't want the hassle of upgrading to a modern compressor, that's much cheaper than the options others have posted.

Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Quick little update: I checked again and asked ECS Tuning what was up with the two condensers - also noticed that one of them went from ~$100 to ~$175! Sounds like Nissens may have updated/superceded a design with a new one, or something weird like that. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets listed as discontinued in the near future and it's back to just a single Nissens parallel flow option for the e30.

Anyways, bought the condenser and associated mounting hardware. Also ordered the LC Wylie bracket. Next step for me will be figuring out how to fit an IC and aux fan somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
          Regarding the LC Wylie bracket conversion, don't forget that you also have to modify the lines to/from the compressor.
          Cory
          Re: the LC Wylie conversion..... went a different route... made a tie-in piece for the suction side and the factory hose fits without modification on the discharge.

The A/C belt from the M30 engine'd 5 series fits this conversion perfectly.

Seeing 53 degree temps at the vents while doing highway speeds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220503_075029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	10054954
          Last edited by uturn; 05-05-2022, 06:01 PM. Reason: More info added.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post

Re: the LC Wylie conversion..... went a different route... made a tie-in piece for the suction side and the factory hose fits without modification on the discharge.

Great info and nice hack on the suction hose! So much cleaner installation without oil cooler lines in the way. I'm still addressing that on my '92 cabrio conversion and will post a final summary when everything's put back together and pumping cold air.
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

'89 convertible - back in Texas, so let's fix the AC. We charged it up after we bought the car in Colorado, and it's gotten crappier since then. No appreciable cold air now.

Hose fittings are R134. But condenser looks to be original, it's serpentine.

So I'm dealing with a half-assed conversion, at best. I'm in for a new condenser for sure. Suspect the conversion paid no attention to O-rings either.

Thoughts as to next steps? Think they replaced the AC hoses, filled with R134 and that's it? If so...treat this like a full-on conversion?
              89 325i convertible (daughter's car, I'm the foster parent)
              92 325i convertible
              00 528iT / 5 sp
              03 540i/6

Comment

Dont over think it too much.

Replace all the o-rings, put in a new TX valve and dryer. if your condenser, compressor and hoses dont leak, just re-use. and put in an r134a pressure switch.

I reused an old r12 condensor with r134 and it works great. Its a small car after all.

Comment

Hi guys,

I logged into a very ancient gmail account that had one of the links in my original post here. I noticed a lot of you were asking for requests to view the file as Google Drive changed something on their end. I can't seem to edit the post anymore, but this link is good for the chart listed in post Home

And just in case, I uploaded the image to the server here on R3V. Happy modding and see y'all again when I log back in after another 5 years lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9210745875_9c74d743db_o.png
Views:	572
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	10062862

Comment

Anyone in the LI area that has done this before that wants to wrench with me to help a fellow e30 owner? I can provide food, beer, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	20220503_075029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	10054954

do you have a P/N on the compressor and would you mind sharing where you got the hoses??

Comment

going to swap dash and carpet out.
                        The A/C had a R134a conversion
                        is there anything under the dash i should be swapped out as a matter or course while i have access?
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          going to swap dash and carpet out.
                          The A/C had a R134a conversion
                          is there anything under the dash i should be swapped out as a matter or course while i have access?
                          Heater core and evaporator. I have changed evap without removing the dash, but it's a lot easier when apart. Lots more access for the gummy tape and making sure the condensate is sealed up tight.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Heater core and evaporator. I have changed evap without removing the dash, but it's a lot easier when apart. Lots more access for the gummy tape and making sure the condensate is sealed up tight.
                            Got heater core and valve already but wasn’t sure if I should change the evap preemptively or do a leak test to decide. They are pretty spendy
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

Got heater core and valve already but wasn’t sure if I should change the evap preemptively or do a leak test to decide. They are pretty spendy
                              Rein is $140 USD. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e-crp-ace0056r

They aren't usually leaking, but will be full of junk and difficult to clean.

john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

After spending considerable sums of time and money, I gave up on buying re-built Denso compressors. They never worked for more than a month before leaking.

I now have for the first time since i bought the car in 2017, working AC that is not leaking refrigerant.

I bought a (NEW) Sanden compressor https://www.acparts.com/product/new-...mpressor-6627/ Model SD5H14 and used LC Wylie's adapter bracket https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/prod...ersion-bracket. I also had to have two new hoses made (gong to and from the compressor). Installing these with the M20B25 oil cooler pipes in the way was challenging, to say the least. Today it was 80 degrees in San Diego with 75% humidity, the AC vent temp reached 45 degrees, not as good as a modern car but good enough. Everything else is also new, the Nissens parallel flow condenser, a new OEM auxiliary fan, a new Rein evaporator, new ACM blower fan motor, new hoses and lines, and a new 134a expansion valve. A longer fan belt was also required. I also had to replace the body harness plug housing and its three female watertight connectors (61130007442) to the aux fan as there was corrosion inside the female connectors intermittently turning off the aux fan in front of the condenser.

This has been the most time-consuming and expensive repair yet; it almost drove me insane. I'm happy now.
                                Last edited by ghrays; 09-10-2022, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X