• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is 85 in 3 step increments.

M42 turbo build.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
      So people who are running megasquirt what resistances and temperatures are you using to calibrate your coolant temp sensor? I can't find the correct information and I am pretty sure I set mine up wrong
      Its just a standard Bosch temp sensor. The resistances and correlating temperature values are in the Bentley manual.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Ok, guys I am trying to decide on engine management for my build and am having serious doubts about my original plan now that I am actually seeing a possible completion of my build. My original plan was to run with VEMS. However, lately I have been drooling over the ms3 pro and honestly I have damn near convinced myself that ms3pro is what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Last edited by JRW21; 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRW21 View Post
          Ok, guys I am trying to decide on engine management for my build and am having serious doubts about my original plan now that I am actually seeing a possible completion of my build. My original plan was to run with VEMS. However, lately I have been drooling over the ms3 pro and honestly I have damn near convinced myself that ms3pro is what I want to do. Any thoughts?
          Your original plan to run with VEMS is better plan! VEMS it's to stabile work and many progressive like MS... IMHO
          BMW E36 coupe 1997 318is TURBO
          BMW E30 335 m106b34 TURBO

Comment

Can those of you who have made 300whp or more and have a custom intake manifold on your turbo M42s post some pics and details? I'm gathering info to build a one so when I upgrade to my Frankensteined turbo I can make some real power, none of this estimated 250whp and 13s 1/4mi rubbish.

I want to do it on the cheap, and use the bottom part of the stock manifold for the flange and such.

Originally posted by JRW21 View Post
            I am a big megasquirt guy, but I've been working with it for a while now. MS3 is impressive, but I haven't set any of them up yet, let alone MS3-Pro. What features do you require that have you shooting for MS3 instead of MS2? One can build a MS2 setup that uses the stock wiring harness for ~$500.
            Last edited by varg; 12-26-2015, 10:26 AM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              What features do you require that have you shooting for MS3 instead of MS2? One can build a MS2 setup that uses the stock wiring harness for ~$500.
              The only thing I can think of is the MS3Pro case/connectors being much nicer than the db16/metal box of previous MS setups, but that can be avoided if you re-use an ecu box/connector(but it's a lot more work)

Realistically, like varg said, MS2 will do anything on a 4 cyl that you need
              Last edited by Northern; 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM. Reason: quote fail
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

MS3Pro does seem cheaper than I remember, but then you need to add in the harness/external MAP sensor and some extras. Probably looking at 1500 once you add in everything you want.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Sooooo would a Holset HX35 with twin scroll housing be too large on a mostly stock M42?
                  The Lineup in order of appearance:
                  91 535i
                  91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                  91 325is w/ S52
                  88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                  88 M3 ;D
                  91 325ix 5 speed
                  89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                  73 2002
                  1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                  1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                  1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                  1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                  Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                    Sooooo would a Holset HX35 with twin scroll housing be too large on a mostly stock M42?
                    There are many different HX35s. What is the turbine/compressor dimensions?

Comment

Well it sold, so now I am looking at GT2871r's. It was a 12cmm exhaust housing, twin scroll t3, non waste gated housing, and a 48mm compressor inducer.
                      The Lineup in order of appearance:
                      91 535i
                      91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                      91 325is w/ S52
                      88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                      88 M3 ;D
                      91 325ix 5 speed
                      89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                      73 2002
                      1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                      1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                      1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                      1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                      Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Yes.

Well it sold, so now I am looking at GT2871r's. It was a 12cmm exhaust housing, twin scroll t3, non waste gated housing, and a 48mm compressor inducer.
                        You would want the 9cm housing. A GT281R with a .48A/R or .63A/R turbine housing is a good turbo for an M42. Might be overkill depending on your goals though, that's an expensive turbo, and if you're not looking at making over 300whp you're better off with a smaller journal bearing turbo.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

GT(X)2860 is a much better match than a 2871
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

2871 is awesome on m42. It is expensive +/- $1000 but well worth it. BB turbos spool quick so I see boost at around 2600 RPM

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Can those of you who have made 300whp or more and have a custom intake manifold on your turbo M42s post some pics and details? I'm gathering info to build a one so when I upgrade to my Frankensteined turbo I can make some real power, none of this estimated 250whp and 13s 1/4mi rubbish.

I want to do it on the cheap, and use the bottom part of the stock manifold for the flange and such.

I am a big megasquirt guy, but I've been working with it for a while now. MS3 is impressive, but I haven't set any of them up yet, let alone MS3-Pro. What features do you require that have you shooting for MS3 instead of MS2? One can build a MS2 setup that uses the stock wiring harness for ~$500.
                              I like the entire ms3 pro package and cleanliness of it. I am running brand new wire through the whole car so not wanting to use any of the stock harness. But, to narrow it down to the ultimate purchase was the built in datalogger/sd card.

I posted this pic over on m42club of my wiring progress(I believe i saw your username in the thread):

Comment

Finally finished wiring this thing up. Started plugging in the basic setup configurations.. Moved on to test mode..all was good until the very last test... No RPM signal. Hit the key engine cranks and No RPM reading whatsoever. I do hear the fuel pump and fuel injectors coming alive while cranking. (this is with no fuel, just testing)

Ohmed out the crank and cam sensor. Both perfect at 520 and 1k at the sensor. Pulled the ms3 connector to test ohm reading at the ecu and those pins checked out fine too..

Odd thing is if I tap the crank wheel or sensor the fuel system turns on and a blip reads on the RPM gauge. I pulled the sensor while still plugged in and ran a wrench across the bottom in quick intermittent passes to somewhat imitate process and the pump stays on and I receive a low constant reading on the RPM gauge.

That lead me to believe I had a bad sensor...Swapped in a new sensor and no change. I know VR sensor are extremely finicky but I am at a loss on this one. The only thing different about the crank wheel is I painted it. I can't imagine that would matter since a VR sensor is magnetic pickup.

Here is a shot of my ignition setting:

Comment

Working...
                                X