New booster option for e30 - Bosch iBooster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post

Do you have a part number for this CRV reservoir adapter? How are you utilizing the clutch line since I assume most of these reservoirs dont have that provision?
    I do not have a part number but I know it is from a 17-18 CRV. I bought a used master cylinder on eBay that came with the reservoir adapter and reservoir. I removed it from the crv master and put it on the Tesla master.
    I ran the hose to a 2002 brake fluid reservoir with 2 outlets, from there a second line goes to the clutch.
    I mounted the the reservoir next to the shock tower.

Comment

Originally posted by iman53 View Post

Just curious why not use the CRV adapter?
      Just price and availability reasons.

Comment

Finally got the CRV adapter. It does the job perfectly and clears the S54 airbox. My only gripe is that you can’t buy these things new/used very easily. I’m working with a buddy right now to see if we can offer a remote reservoir solution for anyone wanting to pursue this.
        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
          Finally got the CRV adapter. It does the job perfectly and clears the S54 airbox. My only gripe is that you can’t buy these things new/used very easily. I’m working with a buddy right now to see if we can offer a remote reservoir solution for anyone wanting to pursue this.
          You can check out the b-max/fiesta/transit/tourneo reservoir. I got mine a few weeks ago, and can confirm it fits. I got it used though

The CRV-reservoir is 130 dollars from dealer here in Norway. But you get both reservoirs. See picture.

Comment

A couple of pictures from a friend locally who's been driving on the tesla booster for a while!

Click image for larger version

Name:	s54-2.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	10050727

Name:	s54-1.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	10050728

Comment

Just posting an update to my on going brake situation.

I am on my 3rd booster (CRV first, Model Y, now Model S). I realized that the booster requires a certain amount of preload on the pedal rod before it works correctly. Unfortunately this causes the brakes to be applied just slightly and get too hot. Ive attempted to back the preload off just slighly but then I have problems with the booster not operating 100% of the time. Its like the travel sensor needs to see the input rod at a certain place before it activates the assist.

Does anyone have any insight on how they setup their pedal?

Comment

Hey um, has anyone considered using the second generation iBooster?

This fella:
                Shirts! Stickers! Mugs!: https://superfastmatt.creator-spring.com/listing/all-hail-the-algorithmSuperfast Matt is supported by:SendCutSend - For Fast laser c...

Used the second generation iBooster from the Model 3.
                On the plus side it looks like the MC outputs are on the left, so we can theoretically use the space better.
                However the reservoir is tilted, so one would have to swap that.
                He also recommends to get the Honda Accord iBooster for 2018 and up cuz it has a remote reservoir. But the MC outputs are on the right, so airbox space might be an issue.

side note: I like his humor, also good info for noobs like me.

Also I can't be sure to confirm the bolt pattern on the firewall.
                I found pictures on ebay, just not sure about the size and spacing between bolts.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-04 115804.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	10051751

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-04 120337.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10051752
                So yeah, thoughts anyone?

Comment

2nd Gen bolt pattern is different and not a direct bolt in to the e30
                  Using and installing the iBooster made by Bosch from a used Tesla in your own car can increase breaking performance. There are various ways of mounting it.

Not sure where preload idea came from. I have no preload on my model s booster and it’s functioned 100%
                  '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
                  10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

yeah, it's possible to adapt the Gen2 booster to fit the E30 firewall, but not straight forward.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Has anyone undertaken the project to understand the CAN signals so that the booster response can be adjusted? It's just in fail-safe mode by default.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                          Has anyone undertaken the project to understand the CAN signals so that the booster response can be adjusted? It's just in fail-safe mode by default.
                          Well Lars, being the genius he is, again, has done some digging into it on his blog:

Wouldn't it be great if we could use the iBooster can-bus? The quest for controlling and reverse engineering it has started. Check the status and contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
                            Here's the right-hand-drive master with some adapters that I believe will work. I haven't had the e30 lines connected, but I believe I have the fittings correct on either end.

Name:	File_000 (2).jpeg
Views:	1282
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	9978290

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	9978289
                            Is anyone using these adapters successfully? I picked these up since theyre one of the few 12mm inverter to 10mm bubble adapters out there but they seem to short to seat. I actually cut the flare off the tesla line to put in as a fake flare fitting and they still seem to be tightening up on the threads not on the flare. Planning to bolt the booster in this week and I feel like these are going to leak at the threads.

Comment

So your post reminded me that I've been meaning to buy these for my E90 booster (except M10 bubble to M12 bubble).
                              While doing so, I noticed that the bubble-bubble version have A = 16mm instead of 12mm. Not sure why these are so much shorter, but maybe there's a longer set?
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                                So your post reminded me that I've been meaning to buy these for my E90 booster (except M10 bubble to M12 bubble).
                                While doing so, I noticed that the bubble-bubble version have A = 16mm instead of 12mm. Not sure why these are so much shorter, but maybe there's a longer set?
                                They don't show any in their catalog. At this point though I don't think it matters. I think im scrapping this project. I tried to test fit this yesterday and the sikky mounts put the engine way too close to the firewall and centered in the bay to make this work safely. Ryan's offset firewall mount is the only way I can see this even fitting in it's space and even then it's so close to the head and headers that I'm fairly certain the pedal travel sensor would melt down during an HPDE run if it even lasted beyond some spirited street driving. I have no problem cutting the car up to make it work but I don't see any way to do that without an extensive amount of work to the firewall.

Comment

Working...
                                X