Polishing the instrument cluster plastic cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing the instrument cluster plastic cover

As many of you know, the gauge cluster plastic easily scratches each and every time you wipe that dust off. It always drove me crazy when the sunlight hits it and you see all the swirls and scratches. I have been successfully machine polishing them for years but this only gets rid of the larger scuffs and scratches...not the very fine micro scratches left behind. I've used Meguier's plastiX, cutting compound, rouge compound, cesium powder, Novus 1,2,3 etc and the plastic looks great...however, there are tiny microscratches that are still present and only visible when the light hits it at the right angle. I have not found anything that can remove these very fine scratches. At this point, I'm thinking I need to fill them in. I know that clear coat works well to fill in imperfections and I'm tempted to try it out. Has anyone tried this? I was even thinking of applying liquid screen protector for tablets on it to prevent future scratches. Thoughts?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

What about the UV curing coatings that professionals use when restoring plastic headlights?

I've worked around optics manufacturing for several years, and it sounds like what you're fighting is the sub-surface damage from your polishing compound. If you want to polish it out, you'll need a finer grit to work the peaks down to the valleys. Then you might need another finer grit....

I think a coating would be a good option, assuming it will sit to make a uniform surface (fills scratches) vs a uniform thickness (conforms to scratches).
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I’ve been very pleased with Meguiar’s headlight coating (on newer car with plastic headlights). Not sure if it would be satisfactory on the gauges, where you want a really optically clear view.

You might look into a product intended for glasses 👓 or camera lenses. But those are glass, not plastic. 🤔
      1989 325is ✨

Comment

What about a film over the top? Something with a bit of float adhesive (like cell phone screen protectors)
        that will fill in the light scratches on the surface, and then provide a smooth, maybe even more durable, surface.
        Almost like what comes on screens to protect them in shipping?

'Course, I've not seen a place to buy such stuff...

t
        Would not paint. Paint is fraught with... orange peel...
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

OP,
          Many of the compounds you’ve mentioned are for very hard surfaces and will leave micro scratches or spider webbing.
          once you have the deep scratches out then switch to a finer polish and appropriate foam be polishing and finishing pad.

Have found menzera super finish to give exceptional results on taillights and hard plastics.

Everything needs to be scrupulously clean to avoid more micro scratches
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Thanks. I think I will try a finer polish. I have Meguiar's Swirl remover 2.0 #9 on the shelf that I haven't tried yet. It's supposed to be a light cut cleaner/polish, so I'll give it a try. Did you use the Menzerna 3500 or 3800 Super polish?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Thanks. I think I will try a finer polish. I have Meguiar's Swirl remover 2.0 #9 on the shelf that I haven't tried yet. It's supposed to be a light cut cleaner/polish, so I'll give it a try. Did you use the Menzerna 3500 or 3800 Super polish?
              Meguiars #9 is for paint, not clear plastic. You need #17 and #10. They will work great.
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and then 3M swirl remover

Comment

Working...
                X