Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeaaah lookin good!

Comment

you probably already know this but be sure to do the rear quarters before you work on the fenders. start at the back of the car, line everything up, adjust the doors to fit the quarters, then do the fenders last.

my m3 fenders are hanging on my car just like yours are. they seem like such a small project in comparison to the quarters, i just want to start into the metal fab on them but i always stop myself.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Lemme get that side trim, you wont need it. I do thx
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've done some body work in the past - but I'm no pro for sure.

My question is: How do you fill the run strips(side molding) in the door? The e30's doors are different then the m3 doors, as they don't have the recess for the rub strip. Since you won't just be leveling it out, you have to create a new profile with a tight inside corner for the length of the door. That profile, the inside of that corner - is what I'm asking about.

I know Jordan did it, but getting that inside radius perfect for the entire length of the door seems like magic to me. Plans? How to? Thoughts?

Pic for reference:

Last edited by george graves; 11-07-2016, 04:07 AM.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            my m3 fenders are hanging on my car just like yours are. they seem like such a small project in comparison to the quarters, i just want to start into the metal fab on them but i always stop myself.
            I know, same here. I've been itching to just buzz off the bottoms and bolt them up fully but I am trying to be patient.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Lemme get that side trim, you wont need it. I do thx
            You got it man. I'll save it in a pile for ya.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I've done some body work in the past - but I'm no pro for sure.

My question is: How do you fill the run strips(side molding) in the door? The e30's doors are different then the m3 doors, as they don't have the recess for the rub strip. Since you won't just be leveling it out, you have to create a new profile with a tight inside corner for the length of the door. That profile, the inside of that corner - is what I'm asking about.

I know Jordan did it, but getting that inside radius perfect for the entire length of the door seems like magic to me. Plans? How to? Thoughts?
            Good catch George. I have seen this done a few different ways - the easiest and least-appealing is to fill them in with body filler. I am not going this route as this car will not be packed with bondo like some ghetto-fab car.

The lower "bump" just underneath the "channel" is identical to the "bump" on the M3 doors - I know this because I had them both side by side and measured them extensively. So really, all you need to do is fill in this channel with material (while keeping the plane of the door skin level). Our plan is to weld in a strip of metal into the channel, thereby bridging this gap.

Only the doors need this modification, as the front fenders and rear quarters are already this way.

It's difficult to explain, so I had one of my CAD guys draw up this accurate to-scale diagram.

If you take a look at this picture of my M3's door, you can see that there isn't really a radius there - they are sharp lines.
            http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps20a1rdl7.jpg
            Last edited by IronJoe; 08-08-2019, 08:48 AM.
            '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Last night I scored a major item I've been wanting since I started this project - a factory hardtop!

This one is immaculate - I've not seen one in this good of shape before. It also has a professionally reupholstered headliner (with receipt!). I definitely stole this one. I had passed on a few examples that needed work, but I'm so glad I waited and found this one.

Comment

Damn this thing is totally coming together... very nicely too
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Damn this thing is totally coming together... very nicely too
                  Thanks brother! Brand new euro front bumper will be here Wednesday. And I have something big in the works I can't reveal just yet...

Comment

Goodness gracious those wheels tie the car together. Whoof
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

:popcorn:

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                        Goodness gracious those wheels tie the car together. Whoof
                        Thanks! I'm really happy with the way they turned out with nice meaty tires - this ain't no stancewagen ;)

Comment

I need a left side pink Startec if you feel the need to split them up :)

Coming along very nicely!
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Great project, subscribed!
                            sigpic

Comment

New front bumper & associated bits are all together.

Euro bumper
                              New carrier, mounts, foam
                              New ZKW foglamps
                              Euro tow hook covers

I had a couple hiccups getting all the fasteners and such but it's all good now.

Hopefully will get to welding the new M3-specific mounts to the body this weekend. The front end is looking pretty convincing!

Comment

Still digging this project. Excellent work!

The final product is going to be one to remember!
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X