Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

eBay's been sucking horribly for years.
    Home Depot and Lowe's are historically awful for not bothering to tell you they didn't have anything that matched your results, then throwing their entire inventory into search results (654,789 results for class 12.9 metric bolts? I don't think so...).
    Amazon is sort of good at parametric search.

Summit is really good at parametric search

The absolute best anywhere is McMaster-Carr, though. No one else is even close. It continually stuns me that Grainger and MSC think they're actually competing in that space.
    I use MSC for looking up fasteners all the time.

Hilti is also a very useful website, not as easy to use tho.
    I do things.

Comment

Speaking of shitty websites to buy stuff from, I'm sick of websites moving from "we sell this" to "check out these sellers." Home Depot and Walmart are the offenders that come to mind. If I went to Home Depot or Walmart's site it was to try and find something at the local store not to filter through shitty knockoff chinese goods that have 5 star reviews because the seller gives you a gift card if you leave one, if I felt like dealing with that I'd be on Amazon. Even when I'm on Amazon I'm ticking the "ships from and sold by Amazon.com" box most of the time, "sellers" on these sites are to be avoided unless absolutely necessary imo.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

mcmaster carr is the best and winzer is pretty good too
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Varg, we have Fastenal and a little drive for you, but Broward Bolt has been an awesome local resourse for me. They literally have every common fastener in stock and can even get off ball stuff. Family owned now for at least 2 generations. McMaster has even more, but they charge a premium for it.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm spoiled, I live right next to the mcmaster warehouse, so I can just go pick up whatever I need, but yeah they do charge a pretty penny for their stuff
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Fastenals really vary based on the industy each branch serves, and 9.9 times out of 10 it's not Euro car shops or dealers.

Comment

Toaster, probably also has to do with location. It's quite populated in the tri-county here, there's several stores around, also at least 4 Grainger I can think of.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

First time I ever had a snow delay for a road race. Up here in Atlanta with about 3" of snow on the ground. :/
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Wow how clear did the track get before going again? I bet Georgia shut down freaking out over that amount of snow.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Horrible. Race was called at 8pm due to fog. I drove around the track for almost 2hr under double yellow. But, we got the Sportsmanship award because the team built a 7 foot tall snowman instead of moping around and complaining. Random number generator for pole caused is to start in the last 2/3rds, finished dab in the middle. Storm started at lap 15 or so for the race leader (we were 13), and finished something like 100 laps overall - mind you, laps are about 2min under green. Still an awesome road trip!
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

I had seriously annoying Craigslist experience this weekend. I found a another M54 that had low miles great compression and a complete harness for 300$ coordinated with the guy and brought my trailer over a hour through LA Saturday. right as I pull up to what appeared to be a shop i get a text:
                        "sorry I had to go"
                        I call and get a woman on the phone
                        "yah sorry he had to go" ???? she then told me when they lifted up the longblock with a forklift they saw a hole in the side on the block. WTF

So i get there and after assessing the damage and the scene looks like the guy lifted the motor up and it fell and destroyed the oil pump and surrounding area.... and got so mad he left his wife to make the deal. They gave me so many excuses "ive seen these motors fail like this before" ---- theirs a oil stain by a crushed pallet...

100$ and I got a fully dressed motor with all the parts to complete mine so not bad
                        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

^ are there off the shelf mounts for that motor/tranny or is it all custom work?
                          i've seen some at the junkyards latley.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                            ^ are there off the shelf mounts for that motor/tranny or is it all custom work?
                            i've seen some at the junkyards latley.
                            for the M54 swap?

its no different than any M5x swap.
                            91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

E36 mount arms work, or so I hear

Comment

Jordan's guide is what I'm following, hardest part is the oil pickup mod for the E34 pan, haven't done it yet.
                                91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X