ForcedFirebird's m20 dyno thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for posting
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Right on Bobbie - strong motors. Been a bit since we dyno'd an m20. Built a few 24vs and am going next week for a 13b rotary MS/ITB conversion.

I have a hard time with the 12:1 and stock - or 272 cam for that matter. Might want to see about that information. With a stock cam and 9.4:1 we are seeing 200psi cranking compression, I would expect detonation in the mid range with pump fuel, and 225+ cranking compression with 12:1 and stock cam (another member here was having detonation issues with 11:1 and 272 cam).

It appears car #2 could use some fuel trimming, for sure. Car #1 also seems like a little less fuel at 5700 would help the peak.

We saw just the opposite. Our MS car did about 6 more whp over the stock ECU car, but was with headers, extruded intake and stock cam added.

Send me the files to John@m20guru.com, maybe I can overlay them. The scaling is different between the runs, might just have to scale everything.

john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        thanks for posting
        Of course! It is also worth noting that that my 3.1L started off as one of these 3L m20s. I never got to dyno the one that I had, so I'm happy to now have numbers to use for comparison once my engine is running.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        Right on Bobbie - strong motors. Been a bit since we dyno'd an m20. Built a few 24vs and am going next week for a 13b rotary MS/ITB conversion.

I have a hard time with the 12:1 and stock - or 272 cam for that matter. Might want to see about that information. With a stock cam and 9.4:1 we are seeing 200psi cranking compression, I would expect detonation in the mid range with pump fuel, and 225+ cranking compression with 12:1 and stock cam (another member here was having detonation issues with 11:1 and 272 cam).

It appears car #2 could use some fuel trimming, for sure. Car #1 also seems like a little less fuel at 5700 would help the peak.

We saw just the opposite. Our MS car did about 6 more whp over the stock ECU car, but was with headers, extruded intake and stock cam added.

Send me the files to John@m20guru.com, maybe I can overlay them. The scaling is different between the runs, might just have to scale everything.
        John- sent the files over.

Also, agreed regarding compression. I'm not sure the comp was ever fully calculated, so I suspect that number to be a "somewhere around there" type of figure. The cars didn't appear to detonate, so I assume the actual compression is lower than 12:1.

Dwights quote regarding compression from a BAT listing:

"The pistons were stock M54’s that had been shaved 2mm on the top and then they had 17 thousandths of ceramic coating. The compression ratio is about 12 to 1. Our metallurgist told us the pistons would withstand 12 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas. The cometic head gasket added 3.2mm to the block height which allowed for a high compression ratio."
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

m54b30 pistons have CH 28.3

206.1-135-28.3-44.8 = -2.0 mm so pistons sits 2.0 mm above deck. if you machine 2mm off with a stock gasket that is like 10.5:1
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            m54b30 pistons have CH 28.3

206.1-135-28.3-44.8 = -2.0 mm so pistons sits 2.0 mm above deck. if you machine 2mm off with a stock gasket that is like 10.5:1
            Those cars both have a 3.2mm thick HG as well
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I sent this to Jason Cammisa in the hopes that we can help his Touring make some more power lol
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Those cars both have a 3.2mm thick HG as well
                goes down to ~9.3:1

Comment

​​​​​​Over the last few months we opened up a dyno tuning shop, DyNomad Mobile Tuning, here in North Louisiana. Since we have opened, I've had very little time to mess with my own M20 E30, but yesterday after installing our lift, we had a little free time to see what the ol girl puts down, and we were not disappointed. This car has been sitting for the last 6 months. The tank was still 1/8th full of old Ethanol, so of course we used it. The battery was dead and had to be jumped off to even get onto the rollers. Air filter was dirty and is small, but we left it on.

Here's the run down on the setup:
                  Engine: Unknown Mileage STOCK B27 Short Block with borrowed #2 piston, rod, and bearings from a destroyed motor we had laying around.
                  Head: STOCK head gasket with ARP Studs, 280/274 cam, HD Rockers and Springs, Welded Coolant Channels.
                  Turbo Setup: RSI Manifold, Precision T3 Gen 1 6266 0.84, 2.85“ straight Exhaust (yes, not even 3"), dirty and small air filter, Precision 46mm wastegate, no BOV
                  Fuel: ID1000, Walbro 450, STOCK feed and and return,
                  STOCK fuel rail, STOCK FPR
                  ECU: MS3 Pro Evo, Full Sequential Ignition and Fuel, LS coil packs, Mac 4 port boost controller, AEM wideband.

This is the first time this car has ever seen a dyno, as it is 100% street tuned. We figured it was making pretty good power, so before we tore it apart for the forged stroker swap, we decided to see what kind of power we had been making on this stock bottom end for the last few years.
                  Wastegate pressure - ~13psi - 404whp/415tq
                  High Boost ~21psi - 522whp/527tq

We honestly could keep going. Plenty of fuel left for more power, I think we could get close to 600whp if we wanted a glory run.
                  We are going to work on a few small things before we remove the engine, maybe we will get it back on there for a glory run. We will see.

Watch till the end for a treat

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156243.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	9957928 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156245.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	9957929 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156246.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	9957930 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156247.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	9957931 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156248.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	9957932
                  Last edited by SLEEPYDUB; 10-28-2020, 07:23 AM.
                  - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                  Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

^^^we had discussed you power a long time ago on this forum. Local made 518 @ 19psi, same turbo, but straight b25, same cam too - glad to see it's verified. One of the plots that aren't to be made public. :(
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Updated with Video
                      Watch till the end

Street Tuned Stock unknown mileage bottom end M20B27, 885 head w/ 280/274 cam and ARPs, T3 6266, Ethanol, MS3 Pro Evo, Sequential Fuel/Ignition, 2.85" exhaus...

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        ^^^we had discussed you power a long time ago on this forum. Local made 518 @ 19psi, same turbo, but straight b25, same cam too - glad to see it's verified. One of the plots that aren't to be made public. :(
                        Yea i was skeptical about that when you mentioned it! I am glad to see that its possible, and boy look at that curve, looks great for a single cam!

Comment

Updating the thread with new turbine numbers

Original: Precision Turbo T4 6262 0.7 A/R compressor, 62 mm inducer, 82 mm exducer, 0.84 A/R turbine, 2.5" inlet, 4" outlet

Updated: Same as above, changing turbine to 0.58 A/R

19 PSI

10 PSI
                          "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
                          2002 E39 M5

Comment

310bhp N/A M20B29 on the video. Probably 400whp on a Dynocom scale ...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FE21I2hRA

anymore details? to be fair 310bhp on a European dyno is like 200whp everywhere else (excluding dynocom or land and sea/dynomite)

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FE21I2hRA

Is that you driving?

e30 with m20b25 vs a pack of RX7 & 8's at the SCCA national runoffs (championships). Easier to see speed when there's other cars on the track. How much HP does this one have? ;)

13 Laps from the 2020 SCCA Runoffs at Road America. Started P5, Finished P5.

john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X