No announcement yet.

New booster option for e30 - Bosch iBooster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, mine came with the connectors. Unfortunately they cut the pedal position sensor from the main plug, but it's still there.. I just have to reconnect the wires.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

New info on the CANBUS connections:

https://www.evcreate.nl/ibooster-can-bus/

Comment

neat - I'm thinking for myself, I'll be happy with just the default mode, but CAN control in the future could make things interesting. I like the idea of adaptive cruise control for example.

anyway, my i3 MC came. The bolt pattern is the same, and with a little nub ground off the back of it, it would fit right in. Of course, as noted the shaft is a little different - the i3 outside diameter measures at 15/16", the Model S at 1". They are nearly the same length - but the part where the rod pushes on it is deeper on the model S. I think it could work with some modifications, but first I'm going to look at disassembling the i3 MC to see if we could just drill holes on the model S MC. It only cost $30, so I'm not super worried about ruining it (although I hope I can keep it working!)

I'll post pictures of the differences later.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Failsafe mode works as intended. Pedal effort is nearly zero, which take a few to get used to, but short controllable pedal travel from engagement to locked.
          '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
          10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Hmm, it would seem the larger MC would be beneficial in that case to keep the pedal effort a little more normal?

I'll bet the failsafe mode assistance is programmable too. It's only a matter of time until that's hacked.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No, I don’t see a larger master really helping. It’ll just shorten the pedal further and there’s enough assist that it’ll probably make the brakes feel like an on/off switch. It’s pretty decent now once you spend some time with it, that is until further control is figured out.
              '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
              10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks for crossposting this here Jon ^
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

hubcapboy This is great! My iBooster2 was installed in my car back in August. It's not fully wired up yet. Just waiting on the final harness to be made for the car.

Thread here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...e6#post9953391

I was trying to figure out what to fit in the car earlier this year when it came to the booster, and I settled on the CRV with the remote reservoir as a couple of you have pointed out.

It still didnt quite fit with my ITBs, so we still had to relocate it on the firewall, but was otherwise pretty plug and play. I'll keep everyone updated with how the shop was able to get it done if we're able to complete the project before I put the car away from storage.
                  1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                  2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                  2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                  2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                  1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                  1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Do any of you gents have a write up on getting these into the car? Would I be fine installing it without connectors, but the lines hooked up? I'm assuming I'd need to figure out power to it...

Comment

Hey all, I’m planning to try to fit the ibooster in my v8 e30 over this winter. I’m in the process of making new engine mounts as to allow more clearance for the booster. I have the Tesla version however I plan to buy the CRV master to allow me to run the remote reservoir because I plan to run the master at an angle.

I’m trying to plan ahead and as far as lines go, does anyone in here recommend using the e30 factory bias valve over an aftermarket adjustable one? Or vise versa?

Also I’m assuming that the front port on the master goes to the front brakes and the rear port goes to the rear? I may be very wrong here so please correct me.

Comment

Just checking in to say I don't have answers to the last two questions... My project is a few months out from the brake booster being installed. For "how to wire" I strongly suggest you get plugs, and if you can't find them for sale with plugs, call yards that are dismantling these cars. Usually the plugs aren't snipped because the car the part is going into already has the harness, but they aren't dismantling the harness for anything other than scrap copper.

For plumbing, I believe all disc brake e30's have the same bore for the front and rear cylinders in the factory master. As long as the master you're using has the same bore front and rear, it won't change the brake balance or matter which is plumbed to which.

Comment

01 Brake master cylinder 22,20/17,46MM 1 05/1987 34311157206
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

This is really interesting stuff. I found a thread where a guy used a Volt iboost in his DeLorian, re-flared his lines and found the connections on AliExpress (China).

Seeing as the ibooster is capable of standalone operation, I'm deciding to retrofit my car for the hell of it. I was able to buy one from a Tesla for about $80 on ebay, so I could not resist... https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4655/39356048915_4b46fd61d9.jpg So I went ahead and drilled new holes into the brake booster mounting bracket and did a test fit. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4705/39356059035_b446404020.jpg https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4674/26381556468_b21386009e.jpg Very
                            I’m rebuilding an E30 I saved from a crack house. Follow along on my Instagram and give me some motivation and tips!

Instagram: @E30tweak

Comment

How do you guys think one of these will hold up against heat? And what would be a good way to protect it from heat? Such as headers on a V8 car. Aluminum heat shield and wrap it in gold wrap? If I can get it worked out in my v8 car I’m very concerned with killing it with heat from the headers. Any thoughts?

Comment

It's already automotive grade. I don't think normal engine bay heat should be an issue. If you're melting the brake booster you're probably also boiling your brake fluid.. neither would be good.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X