Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys it's getting harder and harder to keep an e30 at these prices. I don't mean to diss the 318 but I think most of these folks buying them will be sorely disappointed the first time they mash the throttle. I can't figure out how the 318is is pulling such high numbers. For that money you could have a mint FD Rx7 or three 3000gt's....or a great looking 911. Just don't get it.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

You don't buy a 318 if you expect tire shredding automotive experience. However, if you expect a nice handling, connected driving experience, the 318 will be fine.

It's all about your expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
        Guys it's getting harder and harder to keep an e30 at these prices. I don't mean to diss the 318 but I think most of these folks buying them will be sorely disappointed the first time they mash the throttle. I can't figure out how the 318is is pulling such high numbers. For that money you could have a mint FD Rx7 or three 3000gt's....or a great looking 911. Just don't get it.
        If that's the case it's only good. As E30 enthusiasts we should go everywhere telling people they are super slow/unreliable/boring in an effort to dampen interest.

Comment

1988 M3
          Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #46,349.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1988_bmw_m3_1617519758cfcd21988_bmw_m3_1617519757f66e7dff9f98764da4f72c7c5-23dd-40bb-81a6-950078c51fa9-KwdebR-scaled.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9982409

Isnt this the one that Jordan restored?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
            You don't buy a 318 if you expect tire shredding automotive experience. However, if you expect a nice handling, connected driving experience, the 318 will be fine.

It's all about your expectations.
            Sure, the 318 will be "fine", but for the price this one's at, you could have an "excellent" car.

Don't get me wrong, I've been daily-ing an e30 for more than a decade, I love them and they're fun. I just don't see how a stock-ish mass produced midrange-for-the-time low-powered sports sedan is $25k+ of fun, and at 94k miles, it's not even low miles. It just doesn't make sense to me.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Sure, the 318 will be "fine", but for the price this one's at, you could have an "excellent" car.

Don't get me wrong, I've been daily-ing an e30 for more than a decade, I love them and they're fun. I just don't see how a stock-ish mass produced midrange-for-the-time low-powered sports sedan is $25k+ of fun, and at 94k miles, it's not even low miles. It just doesn't make sense to me.
              There are a couple justifying the price:

1. The 318is wasn't as mass produced as any of the other non-M models if you believe these sales figures
              2. There's the "baby M3" reputation
              3. A stock or close-to-stock E30 (with tastefully done mods) is usually going to command a higher price than a heavily modified one. When you're buying a modified car, you run the risk of dealing with a can of worms
              4. These things are now 30+ years old and many of them have been through at least 4-5 owners and probably several hundred thousand miles (despite what the [usually broken] odometer says) in that time span. I consider 94k miles be low mileage for a 30 year old car; that means it was only driven about 3000 mi/yr on average, or about 1/5 what the typical car sees. Regardless of the mileage, that car is in superb condition which is just not the case for most E30s these days.
              1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
              1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

I'm with you guys, I just don't see the value on some of these cars. I'm all for it honestly, but it is very amusing reading through the banter in these auctions and its surprising to me how little these people know about e30's even though they're bidding them through the roof. But IMO, let the BAT crew pay a premium + 50% for bone stock cars and low mileage examples. People like us who are ok with mods/projects/etc can just deal in the less "special" non-iS cars, early models, swapped cars etc that the BAT crowd doesn't find interesting.

The lachs 325is on there currently is an interesting example. Very strange mismatched body kit, re-spray in places, etc... Hard to argue that anyone should be paying over $10k for that thing
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  You can always import your own, and if you don't like it, just change the v belts and oil, then flip it like that dealer. Even today you can still likely source one and have it shipped for about 7k.
                  Is it worth the hassle? These days you'd probably wind up buying a car that is basically sight unseen (pictures don't count unless extremely thorough) and probably rusty if you don't manage to find someone you can trust on the forums who looks at it for you. Either way there is a good deal of risk that it will get damaged during the import process. I guess I just don't love E30s enough lol

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Is it worth the hassle? These days you'd probably wind up buying a car that is basically sight unseen (pictures don't count unless extremely thorough) and probably rusty if you don't manage to find someone you can trust on the forums who looks at it for you. Either way there is a good deal of risk that it will get damaged during the import process. I guess I just don't love E30s enough lol
                    Depends entirely on your objectives. For me, they were neat when they were first eligible for import, so over a year or so I brought a few over, only to enjoy, with no plans to flip them immediately. For me it was an experiential thing, and today I'd bring in a nice low spec E28, or an other than a BMW if I were importing.

Rust is certainly a thing, especially on the low end of the price spectrum, but I think 3/4 tourings I got were pretty decent.

As far as damage during import you can insure against it, or just roll the dice. Either way, I didn't hear any horror stories from anyone I know of who brought one in, and I didn't see any damage from transit in any of my purchases.

Comment

S54 Swapped M3 Racecar
                      Bid for the chance to own a S54-Powered 1991 BMW M3 Track Car at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #46,415.

Name:	1991_bmw_m3_16178072790f05f1b77822495IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9990698
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

1989 325i Convertible
                        Bid for the chance to own a 1987 BMW 325i Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #46,740.

Name:	1989_bmw_325i_161842269040810bf523f24deee11989_bmw_325i_16170331083f5402b9f6BCD295FF-498C-40CD-8CBD-BEBCCEE328C9-scaled-1.jpeg
Views:	488
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	10014466
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

I was surprised the white 318iS didn’t go higher 🤷‍♂️ Guess everyone showed their hand pretty early! I thought it might sneak up towards $30k towards the end.

Thanks 2mAn for keeping track of all these makes for interesting viewing 🙂

Comment

Man...I so badly wanted to buy that M3 racecar - rip off the vinyl, cut out the cage, and stick a stock e30 interior in it. That car would have been awesome and such a deal at 30k. I think on BAT there is an inverse relationship between an e30s acceleration and it's value ;). But to the points made above, I shouldn't project my desire for overpowered tire-shredders on others. I get the rarity/specialness of a car in stock trim.
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Yea it was so low and quiet at the end that I thought, I HAVE to throw one bid in and see what happens... bring a trailer is totally blocking my comments though. I had a few comments after it was over and none got posted lol
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Yea it was so low and quiet at the end that I thought, I HAVE to throw one bid in and see what happens... bring a trailer is totally blocking my comments though. I had a few comments after it was over and none got posted lol
                                That is very weird. You never say anything block-worthy.... Unless maybe you say some really crazy things and we just don't see them because they are blocked :). They only want positive comments from that petrolicious lady to boost prices.
                                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X