Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
    If I ever got off my ass and worked on the damned cars, I might post something....

hee

t
    Do you even own a BMW anymore?...

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If I ever got off my ass and worked on the damned cars, I might post something....

hee

t
      Where's your truck man? Maybe you need to cover the mini truck spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I am tethering from my phone right now (about ~4mB/s) and it's no faster at home with 100+mB/s. :/

As mentioned (and i linked previously), many boards are running on vB, and have been for decade(s). Perhaps it's an "ease of use" newer system, but some boards i still occasionally hit still look identical to mid-'00's.
        Same this is the biggest reason I don’t log in much anymore (besides now having a real job to do). It feels like after the re skin loads just sooo slow now.
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Where's your truck man? Maybe you need to cover the mini truck spectrum.
          Duuudeee.... My Ferd's got rimz. A nd a 6' lift kit.

t
          it actually burns a quart every 500 miles. Or less, if towing the pro3 car.
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I think it’s always been slow. Just every thing else has got faster in the last 10 years.

Slow on PC also?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Duuudeee.... My Ferd's got rimz. A nd a 6' lift kit.

t
              it actually burns a quart every 500 miles. Or less, if towing the pro3 car.
              If it were a BMW someone would claim that this is "normal" behavior.

Yeah, it's slow on PC and mobile via browser.

Comment

I'm actually am starting to think it's actually the bloated interface that's making things slow, not the backend. When I access the database through the mod CP, it's really fast. But anything in the public forum loads extremely slow.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That would make sense with the POS that this version of VB that we are working with.

Comment

What's bloated about the front end? Maybe because I'm on the dark theme but it seems pretty minimal (but still painfully slow). Maybe the code is just written poorly.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

s14.net uses the same version of vBulletin and it's infinitely quicker. still have a hard time getting used to how this forum is laid out, considering i had been used to the old version for over ten years. lol
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

It didn't use to be this slow, it got bad when the site updated. I thought "they" were working on a new version to speed things up?
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Vbulletin was initially written by a group of UK programmers.
                          Then, the US marketing company Internet Brands bought it and hired a new team of programmers who created the version 5, which is a complete rewrite.

The UK programmers created the new forum software Xenforo.

Comment

The server response time is pretty slow for this site. Took over 2 seconds from when the HTTP request is made to when the server actually responds and displays the page. It also looks like there is a script that is firing often to refresh the information in the header (message count and such) which is bogging down the site. There's just a lot of small things overall that could be fixed.

- a Senior Front End Engineer ;)
                            Instagram
                            Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
                            F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
                            E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
                            E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
                            E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                              I think it’s always been slow. Just every thing else has got faster in the last 10 years.

Slow on PC also?
                              No. I've been clicking around from thread to thread on forums since the early 2000s, this is slower than it ever was back then even though my connection is faster than it ever has been. I grew up on the internet. Despite having connection speeds now that I could only dream of back then web pages sure aren't as much faster as my connection is by comparison, the only things that are faster are downloads and streams. I blame bloated site code written by programmers who don't know how to optimize because they're spoiled by just how much computing power and bandwidth is available to them.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                                What's bloated about the front end? Maybe because I'm on the dark theme but it seems pretty minimal (but still painfully slow). Maybe the code is just written poorly.
                                I've been doing web development since like 1995.. this forum layout is anything but "minimal", lol. It's like it's trying to turn a web based bulletin board into Facebook. I could probably name 10 "features" that are just useless bloat - all we really care about is being able to read and reply to posts - right? Otherwise, we'd use Facebook in the first place.

Just look at the dev tools in Chrome, logs and stuff. There's a bazillion modules that load in addition to the HTML and database, all of which add loading time - and there are numerous errors. I'm sure James would like to fix them but it's a labyrinth of code that is impossible to debug unless you're familiar with it. Unfortunately I don't think he was able to get much support so we've just been stuck with it.

It's insane how much memory it actually takes to just render this site. It's not like the content has changed. Hell, we can still read and reply to posts from 2003. Why do those now take a full minute sometimes to open? My computer is 10x faster and by internet is at least 2x faster than it was in 2003, and it only took a couple seconds back then, at worst.

The current forum software is just broken, using this site has been painful ever since the upgrade, and the spam detection / registration captcha is completely useless against modern attacks. There's no objective way you could sincerely argue otherwise.
                                Last edited by nando; 04-16-2021, 07:44 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X