No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E30 was at least nice enough to wait until you started a new project to grenade its G260
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The OE clutches can really take a beating, especially if it's an m20 car

Man, that thing grenaded so hard! holy cow, even the starter got a piece of it
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        The E30 was at least nice enough to wait until you started a new project to grenade its G260
        And while my garage is packed to the gills with parts, lol.

It was tight working in there for sure, but I got it done. On stands too, the quickjack is occupied.
        I do things.

Comment

Melon, that is quite impressive.

Some of my nonsense. Finally found a local dealer who was willing to lend me a newer STI for 24 hours.

Apparently this thing makes 500 or so horsepower (at least that's what the guy who traded it in told them).

Idled at 1100 rpms and got 11 mpg.

And holy fucking hell, did it scream. I instantly fell in love. Soooo fast. And it's gorgeous too.

Except it was WAY too loud, had a serious fuel cut out problem during any sort of mildly quick shift (it was funny, hauling ass up our 7 mile long road to the top of the tallest mountain in town, pinning the throttle and cornering like mad, just to purposefully shift like a damn grandma with arthritis so the car didn't have a conniption), the speakers were blown, and 75 mph was ~3400 rpm in sixth gear.

Gave it back to them and told them I loved these cars, just not this one. On the hunt for an unmodified example!

Borrowed STI by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

That's some serious carnage. I wonder if that rivet hole in the PP was cracked the whole time?

To me, the WRX/STi is absolutely a tuner car. If I bought one, I'd be planning to modify it/tinker/mess with the tune anyway so I don't think any of that stuff would bother me too much assuming the asking price is reasonable.

My current nonsense:
            Trying to make a 4 clutch 2.93 out of:
            an e36 328i ring & pinion
            e30 s3.73 case & LSD guts
            s2.79 LSD carrier
            racingdiffs cap + 4 clutch kit
            timken bearings
            BMW diff seal kit.

What hope in hell do I have that either of the pinion shims are going to be remotely close to fitting? seems like I'm going to need to buy a lot of crush sleeves and a pinion shim kit
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Guy fixing my transmission sent me this as a joke.

I do things.

Comment

That STI is quite nice.
                I do things.

Comment

The STI is definitely a tuner car, you have to tune it, they've had essentially the same specs since 2008 or something those hatchback STIs were really cool, the saab version even cooler.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                    Guy fixing my transmission sent me this as a joke.
                    That's what you think until you see the invoice line "Custom Polymer Transmission Case Repair - $1,382.33."

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      My current nonsense:
                      Trying to make a 4 clutch 2.93 out of:
                      an e36 328i ring & pinion
                      e30 s3.73 case & LSD guts
                      s2.79 LSD carrier
                      racingdiffs cap + 4 clutch kit
                      timken bearings
                      BMW diff seal kit.

What hope in hell do I have that either of the pinion shims are going to be remotely close to fitting? seems like I'm going to need to buy a lot of crush sleeves and a pinion shim kit
                      Are you going to document this anywhere? I have an s3.73 that's going to get a 4-clutch upgrade. I've got all the precision tools and a full machine shop at my disposal, I'm just nervous about all the shimming stuff. I've got some info from a bunch of different sources, but i haven't found a single place that explains the whole process.

sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Are you going to document this anywhere? ...
                        A build thread is a great place for that Northern !! haha
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So I realized there are a few problems with my plan:
                          The "clean" case I have is rusty on the inside
                          Most likely going to need to mess with pinion shims, which means installing/removing the pinion a few times, probably ordering a few sets of shims and more crush sleeves.
                          Sure installing/removing the pinion is *possible* without a press, but it involves heat and BFH so I imagine the bearing wouldn't enjoy that very much

I also have an e30 2.93 open diff that wouldn't need nearly as much work since the pinion is already installed and all. Case is grubby, but I popped it apart and it was much better than expected.

The e30/e36 final drive TIS is out there, so I was going off that, although the LSD stackup instructions are a little murky and it's lacking some torque specs.
                          Other than some confusion about how they chose to say some weird shit instead of "convex up" with their Belleville washer instructions, it was smooth sailing to install the racing diffs clutch/plate upgrade and their carrier cap.
                          I didn't have any clearance issues like some people so I didn't need to machine the cap.

Unfortunately Rockauto has some wrong bearings listed (possibly for 168mm diff?) that of course I bought, so now I'm waiting on the correct ones.
                          Then I clean up this case and start messing with the shims for lash.

I'll post about it in my build thread whenever I actually finish it
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Transmission fixed!

I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

That's what you think until you see the invoice line "Custom Polymer Transmission Case Repair - $1,382.33."
                              He charged $250, I paid $260 cash since I could only get 20's from the ATM on Sunday.
                              I do things.

Comment

Damn, that's a steal..

I would charge a lot more than that.. I'm assuming you took the trans out., right?
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X