No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll pitch in too as I have been thinking of picking something else up.

Current DD: 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Current Project: Several year resto of 1997 M3
    Wife DD: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek

We own all of our vehicles free and clear, so I have been toying with the idea of scooping something up that has three pedals while I build this M3. Two mindsets. Either an old Porsche or BMW or Merc to just have fun with, something cheaper and rattier off of clist or fb marketplace or picking up something much newer. WRX/STI, 86/BRZ, Civic Type R. Something along those lines. Going to borrow a WRX from a local dealer tomorrow afternoon for 24 hours to see how I like it, though this is the least preferred car on my list, just the most accessible where I live.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Mine:
      2017 Focus RS
      2002 Ranger 4x4
      1986 325 e->is racecar

My Wife’s:
      2015 Sienna AWD with 2” lift (the camper van)

I’ve loved the Ranger, but now that I have a racecar I need a tow vehicle, so I’m looking around for a cheap enclosed trailer and a truck with a bigger motor.

I also love the Focus for just about everything - DD duty, going up the ski hill on a powder day, doing a few track days each year. Once I get the E30 racer dialed in though I may trade the Focus for an electric DD...

...Or I could get a 500 mile cybertruck or the new E-F150 and use that for towing, off-road and DD duty...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Camper Van Someren; 10-15-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        I'll pitch in too as I have been thinking of picking something else up.

Current DD: 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
        Current Project: Several year resto of 1997 M3
        Wife DD: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek

We own all of our vehicles free and clear, so I have been toying with the idea of scooping something up that has three pedals while I build this M3. Two mindsets. Either an old Porsche or BMW or Merc to just have fun with, something cheaper and rattier off of clist or fb marketplace or picking up something much newer. WRX/STI, 86/BRZ, Civic Type R. Something along those lines. Going to borrow a WRX from a local dealer tomorrow afternoon for 24 hours to see how I like it, though this is the least preferred car on my list, just the most accessible where I live.
        Curious to hear your thoughts on the WRX

I thought it was a soul sucking experience lol

One car I always hear good things about is the fiesta st..
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
          Hey all, just to keep discussion going.

What is your current stable of cars, and what is your next vehicle purchase?

Basically, are you satisfied with your fleet, or are you looking at something different for your next vehicle? If so, when are you going to purchase?
          1992 Oldsmobile Bravada - daily/hauler
          2003 S10 - was the daily, now for sale
          The E30 - just for fun

I like my cars but how the Bravada's V8 swap goes/whether it happens will have an outcome on what I do next. I still have the desire to dieselize a Suburban down the road but if I really like the V8 Bravada I might not want to anymore. Either way the E30 is going to get torn down to a shell and restored as soon as I have my career established, and it'll probably take a while to do so because I'll be so busy. If I do wind up needing a commuter vehicle for a long drive to work or something I really have no idea what I'd buy for that, I was spoiled by long daily driving a turbo E30 and a motorcycle for so long that slow vehicles get kinda frustrating at times.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Curious to hear your thoughts on the WRX

I thought it was a soul sucking experience lol

One car I always hear good things about is the fiesta st..
            I actually had the opportunity to test drive the first new STI that was delivered to town back in the summer of 2016 right after we bought my wifes Subaru, and I didn't find it overwhelming at all. Far too numb. Though that was a standard around town test drive with a salesman present. It may get more interesting alone on the more engaging roads in town.

The Fiesta ST and Focus RS are new additions to my list as well.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

varg if you end up with a long commute, you should look into a 335D I think it will check many boxes for you
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                The Fiesta ST and Focus RS are new additions to my list as well.
                I like my RS a lot. If you can get past the ride (or mod the suspension) it is fun around town, great on track and amazing in the snow. I’m pleased with the steering, brake and shifter feel, at least compared to modern cars. It is front heavy but adjusts well with trail braking and throttle. I’ve driven my friend’s stage 2 WRX and while I was very impressed with the whomp of power, the steering felt numb, especially for a hydraulic rack. Ditto for the Golf R which I cross shopped with the FoRS.

Comment

Yeah the current gen of WRX feels like electric steering lol and the pedals are far as shit away from each other, so heal toeing is actually heal toeing rather than the good ol' e30 foot roll

in high school I would always fan boy for subies and it was like meeting your hero for the first time and they suck. Quite disappointing.

I get the appeal tho, that platform has some utility, especially the wagons, but like you have a 4x4 truck, the wife has the subaru, you got the RWD NA BMW- I think a small FWD hot hatch would fit well with what you currently have.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Well my v8 X5 did V8 things and gernaded the engine. Gonna be a 15 thousand dollar fix. I got BMW to cover 55 percent of it so only about 7k out of my pocket. Still hurts the ol wallet.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                      Well my v8 X5 did V8 things and gernaded the engine. Gonna be a 15 thousand dollar fix. I got BMW to cover 55 percent of it so only about 7k out of my pocket. Still hurts the ol wallet.
                      That must be a fairly new X5.

Comment

Good discussion peeps.

Mike - I loved my Fiesta ST. The back seat is tiny though, I have a feeling you'd prefer the Focus.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Jason Cammisa loves the e-Golf

DEVO Theres also a manual IX wagon closer to you in ABQ if you need the 4wd
                        Cammisa is actually one of the reasons I'm really considering one. I've never owned a VW but a egolf seems like a good way to get into one without the VW problems. I also have a really short commute, so it would make sense to keep the miles off the Luxobarge (LX470) and use the egolf as the daily. LX gets probably 10mpgs, and runs premium.

Used prices, even the 2016 would work for me honestly.

2016 - 83 mile range ($9-11k)
                        2017+ - 125 mile range (~$15k+)
                        Last edited by DEV0 E30; 10-16-2020, 06:27 AM.
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I looked closer at the e-golfs and they made a lot of changes from 16 -> 17 inside the car which I think would make it worth looking at those over the 16s...

As for me, my search is just about done. Keep an eye out for an update to my "Daily Driver" thread sometime this weekend.

I combined my non-E30 threads so that my history of smart daily driver decisions can be documented lol

I still would like to build another 84/85 318 poverty spec car with a lightweight 4 banger, but for now my lightweight 4 banger is doing just fine
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I looked closer at the e-golfs and they made a lot of changes from 16 -> 17 inside the car which I think would make it worth looking at those over the 16s...

As for me, my search is just about done. Keep an eye out for an update to my "Daily Driver" thread sometime this weekend.

I combined my non-E30 threads so that my history of smart daily driver decisions can be documented lol

I still would like to build another 84/85 318 poverty spec car with a lightweight 4 banger, but for now my lightweight 4 banger is doing just fine
                            Yeah it would definitely be worth it over a 16, and 17 MY prices will probably go down when I actually consider one.

Ha - smart!

Same, LTW E30 + Honda K motor would be really fun. Although, I'd have to have AC living here.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

Same, LTW E30 + Honda K motor would be really fun. Although, I'd have to have AC living here.
                              and thats the beauty of my current lightweight 4 cylinder car, the A/C works! I discovered this yesterday when I had to taxi Wifey to work. She demanded A/C and I looked at her saying, "lets see what happens" as I turned on the A/C and rolled up the windows. Shockingly the A/C was nice and cold!
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Been a minute since I've been on here. Work has been busy, people are leaving the company (Due to piss-poor handling of the pandemic downturn) leaving me with an unusual abundance of work.

So, I got some wheels and tires on the F30 and took it back to TN last week.

Drove the E30 around for a while.
                                Survived the hurricane without any thing to note.

How's it going here?
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X