PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
    coilovers for the street are dumb, any e30 on lowering springs and sways is gonna grip way better on rough country roads and urban streets
    Do you have experience with coilover's on the street?
    F80 M3 Alpine
    E10 Fjord Blue 2002
    E28 Blackish 535i
    E21 Silver 320i
    Disco1 98 4.6
    ~~~~~~
    E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
    E30 325i SOLD
    E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
    E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
    sigpic

Comment

Trying to make and believe an m42 is fast is dumb but that doesn't stop you now does it hoes
      Originally posted by bmwm42
      PNW vulture pm me for parts
      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
        Trying to make and believe an m42 is fast is dumb but that doesn't stop you now does it hoes
        m42 just needs a 2.93 rear to be fast
        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
        Originally posted by roguetoaster
        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
          Bc is affordable and has no issues with plates
          The difference between an entry level setup like BC, Megan, Stance, ect and a mid grade system like single adjustable Konis and Ground Control is what you are trying to accomplish with them. Is your goal to achieve a certain stance or to have a tune able and re-valve able setup that can withstand the rigors of actual racing? Over the past 12 years I have owned several manufactures coilovers (JIC, Stance, Megan, KW, GC, Fox) on a variety of chassis (GDA-B WRX, Datsun 510, 240sx, 300zx, OBS F250, E30). In my experience the low end ones were fine for daily use but did not last when used on the track. I replaced four or five shock assemblies on the set of Stance I had on my 240sx yet I beat the crap out of the Foxs on my truck and they are still just as good as the day I put them on. Plus with my Fox and Koni dampers I can fully rebuild and re-valve them for less than $100.

Since technically Ground Control coilovers are simply the threaded perches and your choice of 2.5" coil spring they are far less money than any other decent system. The price goes up depending on what shocks you choose and if you want camber plates or not. If so inclined you can buy some KYB agx shocks instead of the Koni and have roughly the same quality of damper found on Megan/BC systems and save some $$. You also can use any brand or style of camber plate you want with the GC threaded perches, basically it can be an a la cart approach if you want.

Most people like the BC type systems because they can slam their cars to the ground and smash their oil pans into every pebble in the road, and the complaint about GC is that they wont go super low without loosing all your travel. However they were never designed to drop a car more than a few inches, and the limited adjustability they provide is supposed to be used for corner weighting more than ride height adjustment.

All that being said I would have bought a set of BC or Megans had I not got a killer deal on my setup as it probably wont see much track time and they would have served my needs as a daily. I only paid $1300 for everything including already modified strut housings and IE rear shock mounts and it was all brand new never driven on. The reason I said I was glad I went with this setup is that I had a chance to test drive a 318is with Megans and my combination rides much better even though I am running such stiff spring rates. However everyone on the interweb has an opinion and is an automatic expert on every subject so pay no mind to my observations as I probably just made it all up anyway. LOL!

Comment

I do like how people who have never owned a certain part, talk about it like they owned and have used them for years. Nice post above me here

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Go hard or go home. My GC/Koni setup rides ridiculously nice. I could stand to go a little stiffer overall, but it's good enough for what I do with the car. I have a set of AST on my track car and the dampening is amazing and the ride quality is still pretty killer. Paid a lot more for those than I did for the GC setup, but the difference is obvious when driving the two cars.

If I just wanted to slam something for the sake of just slamming it, I guess the Megan/Fortune would be appealing to me for cost reasons alone, but meh.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                Go hard or go home. My GC/Koni setup rides ridiculously nice. I could stand to go a little stiffer overall, but it's good enough for what I do with the car. I have a set of AST on my track car and the dampening is amazing and the ride quality is still pretty killer. Paid a lot more for those than I did for the GC setup, but the difference is obvious when driving the two cars.

If I just wanted to slam something for the sake of just slamming it, I guess the Megan/Fortune would be appealing to me for cost reasons alone, but meh.
                Hey Austin, did you go with GC's full strut housing or did you put it together yourself?
                F80 M3 Alpine
                E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                E28 Blackish 535i
                E21 Silver 320i
                Disco1 98 4.6
                ~~~~~~
                E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                E30 325i SOLD
                E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_world View Post
                  Hey Austin, did you go with GC's full strut housing or did you put it together yourself?
                  I had a good friend of mine do it locally. Wasn't about to pay them $600 plus shipping two ways or whatever they charge to have them do it. I also had the struts shortened at the same time. Happy with it overall.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Stupid Fuckin driver hit Th 30 at work. I Confront him about it, does nothing but deny deny deny.. Fuckin punk

Ps. My car isn't super nice but still...

Comment

My car can corner hard, my oil pan is made out super secret NASA space material so I just brake crank when I bottom out. It super sick get bc's

Comment

Seth , you drunk? Lol

What's everyone up to

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by UgkNW* View Post
                          Stupid Fuckin driver hit Th 30 at work. I Confront him about it, does nothing but deny deny deny.. Fuckin punk

Ps. My car isn't super nice but still...
                          I think he's going to have 3 flat tires in the morning, if you catch my drift.
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                            Seth , you drunk? Lol

What's everyone up to

I don't drink

Comment

?

Originally posted by delamaize View Post

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                                dumb

Comment

Working...
                                X