Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melon View Post

I like the 'period correctness' of it, the fact that 2v engines have their own sound, and it's fun to play with pistons, cams and a good port and polish. I've even looked into an M30 swap.

Ultimately, 24v is cheaper dollar:horsepower
    100% on board the M20 train again. I have 4 M52's right now including the one in the car, but I think my car eventually will lose the turbo'd M52 in favor of a nice sounding NA M20.
    My car hasn't really run well since I went back to school because it needs a ton of parts and effort to get to a good place, so at this point I'm honestly regretting going turbo right before I quit my job because I've more or less been without E30 for 3 years now.
    This revelation probably also has a lot to do with buying a motorbike this summer. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 2 car + x bikes life now. E30 for summer, and the 3.6R or similar for people/dog/parts/winter.

That said, I put some work in today on it. New battery (fuck me, I seem to burn through batteries on this car because I drive it so little... This is the fifth battery it's had since I bought it), and swapped out the left taillight because it filled with water and cracked. No idea what the hell happened there - had a new gasket but still was collecting water somehow. If this one does the same thing, it's getting a drain hole drilled on the backside (one exists for the reverse light section, but not the turn signal?)

Re: battery, I also bought a new "smart" charger/tender to hopefully make this one last. I need another for the bike this winter.
    Last edited by Northern; 09-28-2019, 07:13 PM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

what the actual fuck, why was my post flagged for spam

Comment

i don't like the 24v sounds it sounds like very buzzy and honda ish.
        even straight pipe the 12v doesn't have that buzzy stuff going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          what the actual fuck, why was my post flagged for spam
          UR spam.

Must be the reason.

Comment

No idea, I approved it though.

I AM starting to see more of the features we used to have start to show up, hopefully the reigns will loosen up a little on the stuff that gets flagged. It certainly has gone down since the original update, but I cant see any reason why that one got flagged

In other news, it appears that things are starting to wind down with the Roadster and Im looking back at the E30 and I totally want to build a 2.8 M20 using Johns (WOTtech) forumula, but I have my "fast" car and with the E30 being the daily, theres another swap Ive wanted to do forever and I feel like my eta sedan is the perfect car for this.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've been seriously considering the M20 again, I'm part way through a M54 and sure it makes more power than a 2.8L but the sound wont even be close.

The only thing holding me back is the money required for it.

this video:
              BMW M20 Stroker new exhaust. Trying to get rid of some of the rasp with a new exhaust system on our private alpine road course!
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                even straight pipe the 12v doesn't have that buzzy stuff going on.
                I dunno about that... Sound dependsentirely on what you do with the exhaust with these cars, straight piped M20s sound really bad. If you've been to a spec E30 race you'll be familiar with the fact that the field sounds pretty bad in general, straight piped is worse. Not as bad as the straight piped M5X car I heard at the track last year, but still really bad. You have to have a muffler in there that will kill the rasp or it sounds like a Honda with 2 extra cylinders, 12V or 24V...

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

What is with so many motorcycle youtube channels having a "bible verse of the day/week" or randomly reading scripture during reviews or blogs? I've never seen this with car content but it seems very common with bike stuff and has caught me off guard a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    What is with so many motorcycle youtube channels having a "bible verse of the day/week" or randomly reading scripture during reviews or blogs? I've never seen this with car content but it seems very common with bike stuff and has caught me off guard a few times
                    Because Harley Riders love to quote scripture, and them ride 15mph under the limit?
                    I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      No idea, I approved it though.

I AM starting to see more of the features we used to have start to show up, hopefully the reigns will loosen up a little on the stuff that gets flagged. It certainly has gone down since the original update, but I cant see any reason why that one got flagged

In other news, it appears that things are starting to wind down with the Roadster and Im looking back at the E30 and I totally want to build a 2.8 M20 using Johns (WOTtech) forumula, but I have my "fast" car and with the E30 being the daily, theres another swap Ive wanted to do forever and I feel like my eta sedan is the perfect car for this.
                      2.8L stroker eh.

Hmmm

I could do this with shit I already have. Would just need the rotating parts, and a cam.
                      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

I dunno about that... Sound dependsentirely on what you do with the exhaust with these cars, straight piped M20s sound really bad. If you've been to a spec E30 race you'll be familiar with the fact that the field sounds pretty bad in general, straight piped is worse. Not as bad as the straight piped M5X car I heard at the track last year, but still really bad. You have to have a muffler in there that will kill the rasp or it sounds like a Honda with 2 extra cylinders, 12V or 24V...
                        Listen to Wayne's e36 (black car with the big wing), or the ITB m20 I did a few years ago - both are ear-gasmic. The problem with most of the exhausts is the fact that they are 2-1 with a single muffler and/or resonator - I prefer to build them true dual, with an X pipe and twin resonators.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I wish I got some exhaust clips of my stroker. Once you got it above 3500 rpms, it would sing a beautiful song. And the 284 cam at idle was great. Exhaust was bav auto long tubes into a 2.5in single with Vibrant resonator and muffler. I have it on my stock m20 now.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Straight piped anything, except maybe a V8 or V12, sounds awful. I think with the same exhaust setup though, the M20 definitely sounds better than the 24v motors.

Now the cool thing to do is cut off the muffler, install a stupid "burble tune" (yay, backfires?), and if you have a modern BMW, "tune" the fake exhaust sounds coming out of the stereo...

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              and if you have a modern BMW, "tune" the fake exhaust sounds coming out of the stereo...
                              Please tell me this isn't a real thing. The burble pop tunes are bad enough.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                                Please tell me this isn't a real thing. The burble pop tunes are bad enough.
                                This is a real thing for most modern performance oriented cars.

GTI, Mustang, BMW, they all do it in one form or another. Either noise pipe, or digitally.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X